1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PC performance improvement with Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Speedliner, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    My primary PC is a few years old now and still adequate for everything I do....except LR. It's a little slow importing, converting to DNG, loading previews, flipping between pictures, etc...

I could upgrade the entire PC, but thought I'd see if anyone has experienced significant gains by just adding a SSD and tweaking LR settings.

At 2.6ghz Quad, the CPU is dated, but not a dog. Memory needs to be increased and SSD added at the minimum. I may add a new video,card as well, but that would be to get 4K not LR/Photoshop performance. So I'm looking at $800 in upgrades or $1500 for all new and wondering where some of you may have found the biggest gains.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    My 2.6 quad Macbook has 16MB, a 1TB SSD and a GPU and has no problem running LR CC. Definitely put in 16GB of memory and an SSD large enough for boot, OS, apps, and cache. For a Mac a 500GB SSD is plenty large enough. Then all the library files (documents, pictures, music, videos...etc) can sit on relatively cheap external drives.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks. Might make sense to try the an SSD and more memory before bothering to upgrade. The SSD could be re-used no this memory is dirt cheap. I thought the import and conversion times would be unimproved though. I wind up putting it off sometimes because I dread it :)

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    LR is memory hog, the more the better (assuming you're on x64 OS).
    Not sure if SSD will make any improvement besides initial reads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If your PC is slow when switching to Lightroom's Develop mode with RAW files then the bottleneck is in the CPU most likely, so all the RAM and SSD in the world is not going to help. I have a 2.2 GHz quad core I7 with 16GB RAM, a 512GB boot SSD and a Thunderbolt RAID for my photos. Everything in Lightroom is snappy EXCEPT for going into Develop with RAW.

Adobe has started rolling out GPU support and I believe that the latest version of LR CC has it, so if you have a desktop it may be worth seeing what GPUs LR works well with. That may extend the life of your PC a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I agree to first part, however the GPU acceleration in LR is only going to make things worse.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I have i7 980X + 24 GB RAM and I do not recall LR Development module to be snappy ever..

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Well, I have seen marked improvements in Adobe Illustrator once it started utilizing my modest mobile GPU instead of my CPU. But rendering a RAW file for on screen viewing is different than applying filters in Illustrator. Hopefully Adobe will continue to improve its code, and if the market is big enough, there will eventually be GPUs optimized to handle ever-larger RAW files.

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    GPUs are so fast, they really should be used preferentially for more tasks when detected. But when you barely take advantage of multiple cores....

10. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I updated LR CC and it's faster with no lockups (yet). For awhile there the longer LR ran the slower it got, with eventual lockup. So CC must have real quality testing issues. and are pushed out the door with minimal testing. I won't run updates now unless there's a feature I want.

11. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I resigned myself to LR being slow. When I import I just walk away for a while, then I'm fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm using an old i5 Laptop and was getting really frustrated with how long it took to render images. I have now started to force Lightroom to make 1:1 previews of everything, which creates a compressed version of the DNG that loads into preview really quickly. It can take good few hours to run through 1000+ photos but it does make everything a lot snappier.

13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a Dell POS with an i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz and 16 GB of RAM. It's as fast as I am so I can't complain about the speed. However today I download a dozen images from 1 SD card to LR and it was fine. Then the computer basically froze up, I couldn't download the other card. The computer would not turn off. I finally pulled the plug. I restarted it and LR, and LR (or the Dell POS) had once again lost my catalog info. I reinstalled the LR preferences from a back-up and it didn't like it because it said it was already being used. Another restart and the same thing. I finally omitted something and went back to a previous catalog and then reimported a month's worth of photos.

This whole scenario has been a monthly occurrence since Windows 10 hijacked my system. I can't afford a new PC, and Macs are even more expensive.
    :026::dash2::doh::wtf:

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Windows 10 seems to be a mixed bag as far as H/W vendors is concerned... my Acer Windows 7 PC and Windows 8.1 Surface 3 are excellent, while my wife's Samsung Windows 8.1 laptop is awful with it...

15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My Windows 7 always had issues, but I've pulled the plug on 10 at least a dozen times. And let's not go into the auto updates that FUBAR everything. I have never been able to update iTunes without completely (an hour process) uninstalling it, but I do blame iTunes for most of this problem.

I thought computers were suppose to make things easier?

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm... they make automating things easier, but not setup and troubleshooting. The Mac ecosystem is pretty good about it as long as you stay within it. Clearly, being a Windows/Android/Linux user, that's not what I was after..

17. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm taking 2 classes at the moment, one on Macs, the other on PC's. I will probably be a basket case in 4 months.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's a lot of trouble Harvey. I'd buy a new HD, install win 10 fresh and reinstall things all over again. You're kind of pain is often from installing OS on top of OS. Just guessing, but much cheaper than a new PC. Maybe add memory too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is your exact CPU model. It's not a Q6600 is it?

GPUs actually are made of hundreds or even thousands of very slow processors. (When running 3D graphics, each one calculates pixels and shading for a tiny dot on the screen.) If your work can be split into a thousand tiny jobs, they are incredible. If your job can only be split into a few jobs, or not at all, then one slow GPU processor is going to take a very long time.

CPU are designed to do a few jobs really fast. So they complement each other well.

The issue for most programs is that not that many jobs can be split into enough tiny segments to benefit from the massive parallelism that the GPU provides. And you have to add in the overhead of splitting the work and reassembling it again. It makes sense for certain things, but not everything.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I've noticed this too. Enabling GPU is causing pictures to be re-rendered twice when switching between them in Develop.
    It also helps to use Smart or 1:1 previews

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016