1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PC Mag awards "Editors' Choice" to Panasonic G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DeeJayK, Jan 18, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I realize few here have been waiting with bated breath for the anouncement of the PC Magazine review of the G5, but nonetheless the day of its release is upon us.

It's a very positive review overall. They award it 4.5 of 5 little circle thingies and state in their "Bottom Line" that "the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 edges out some other excellent cameras to earn our Editors' Choice award for compact interchangeable lens cameras under $1,000." It worth a read if you are considering a purchase.

2. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    It's about time we got a review of the G5. I got a G5 in December and with jpg's it blows my GH2 away with improved high ISO photos and great Olympus-like colors. Raw is even better. According to the PC Mag review, the IQ of the G5 is slightly better than the highly touted 16mp sensor in the Olympus E-PL5 and OMD EM-5 at ISO 3200 and on par at ISO 6400.

From the PC Mag review: "If you are a Raw shooter the advantages are less obvious—the G5 only has a slight edge over the NEX-F3 at ISO 3200 in terms of detail—noise is about the same—and is slightly noisier than the F3 at ISO 6400 with no noticeable advantage in resolution. But saying that it is on par with the NEX-F3 in Raw quality at such a high ISO is high praise. The G5 also compares well with the Olympus E-PL5, which features the same imaging engine and sensor as the E-PM2 and OM-D E-M5, when shooting high ISO Raw images. It just barely edges out the similar 16-megapixel Olympus sensor at ISO 3200, and the two cameras are practically identical in terms of quality at ISO 6400."

The G5 has been the Rodney Dangerfield ("I get no respect") of recent M43 cameras because of the well deserved popularity of the E-M5. But at half the price of the E-M5, I'm very happy with the results.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice. The G5 is great. Whats not to like? And at an attractive price point compared to the OMD if you dont need ibis or weather sealing.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

4. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Love my G5. It really is the sleeper hit in the M43 lineup. Since I got it my OMD and EPL5 just hang out and that's saying a lot.

With the Leica 25/1.4 its magic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the G5 is a very good camera, but I'd no more take PC Mag's advice on cameras that I would read Outdoor Photographer to learn about PCs.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Poor G5 finally getting some recognition. I don't know why it's not more popular, it is an awesome camera and I'm loving mine. I guess poor marketing on Panasonic's part (what else is new).

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I think it is part of falling in between the GH3 hype when it was released, and the G3 dropping so dramatically in price that it got caught in the lurch between the two. I have a G3, and while I highly enjoy it, looking at the ergos, buttons, etc. the G5 is the real g2 replacement, and the G3 is a bit in another direction.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I briefly had a G5 and a GH2 at the same time and in RAW they are, as far as I could tell, identical in terms of noise levels at high ISO.

I'm not sure what the PC Mag reviewers are smoking, but every other review I've seen shows the OM-D to have superior high ISO noise levels in RAW. Not by much, but it is better, even when you compensate for its slightly optimistic ISO ratings. The GH3 I recently acquired is similarly a little better, maybe 1/2 stop, than the G5 (the consensus seems to be that it has the same sensor as the Olympus).

I'm not an Olympus ******, by the way, as I've always preferred Panasonic cameras. The G5 is a great camera, but just slightly behind the OM-D (and therefore theoretically the E-PL5 and E-PM2) and GH3 at high ISO.

9. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    I have the OM-D and the G5. I bought the G5 kit when it was $499. Even though I was really happy with the OM-D I decided to give the G5 a try with the intent to return it if I did not like it.

After some testing I decided the G5 really could not live up to the OM-D and I was all set to return the G5.....until today when the 12-35mm F2.8 arrived. That lens transformed the G5 into a masterful camera. I actually like the photos on the G5 with OIS a little better than with that lens on the OM-D with IBIS....so far anyway with a few quick shots indoors. Also the G5 body and grip is much more suited to the larger heavier lens. They are a great match for each other.

I think that the kit lens that comes with the G5 is not that great and likely degrades the opinion of that camera for people trying it for the first time which likely contributes to its poor valuations right now. If you have the chance to try it with a really good Panasonic lens then it is a very nice camera.

Can't wait to try a GH3 with the 12-35!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    The G5 is a great option for sure, but as has been mentioned I really don't know what pcmag is using for their IQ comparisons. I had a G3, which was known to have ever so slightly better high iso performance than the GH2. Unfortunately, the thing noise tests don't tell you is how much color information and dynamic range is retained at high ISOs, where my own experiences show the OM-D rather destroys the G3. Manipulating raw files with the G3 at high iso was a painful thing, with the OM-D you have so much more slack.

Still, I can't complain. More love for m43 is always welcome!

• Like Like x 1