PC laptop running too hard when editing in Lightroom 3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Peezie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone ever had their laptop(PC) run at 60-80% ram and 70-100% pc usage when they edit in lightroom. I took my pc on my trip to mexico for my honeymoon since it's the older laptop. My MBP stayed at home.
    I have a dual core i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram(ddr3) and this thing runs ridiculously loud that my wife even said "why is it so loud". i just proceeded to say "that's why i bought that mac a few months ago". But really that is the reason why i did buy the mbp because of the way this thing runs. It sounds like its going to die, hahahaha. half the time i have itunes running in the background for music, and run nothing else. My computer also always has half the hard drive empty of my 500gb.

So my real questions is this thing really under powered?

any suggestions?

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    It does happen to me (dual core 2.10 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM - even worse than yours), but it doesn't happen to my quad-core PC, also with 4 Gigs of RAM.

So it's not the disk size or RAM size, but the processor.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    LR is very processor intensive. Laptops are great for portability, but they aren't as good as a workstation for graphics or editing. I know if I am running anything processor or graphics intensive on my MBP, the fan kicks on to jet turbine sound levels. That said, even my tricked out PC quad core workstation with 16GB of RAM sometimes runs less snappy than I like (like when trying to draw 4 filter layers on NIK Color Efex 4 :biggrin:) when running 64-bit Lightroom.
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    If you're going to use a laptop for your primary editing machine then you'll want to invest in a notebook cooling stand (essentially a platform with one or more fans underneath ... powered either by USB or by a wall power outlet).

Good cooling stands can drop the peak temperature of your laptop by 10 degrees Fahrenheit) or more.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I haven't seen LR 3.5 RC top one gigabyte of active memory usage, and I haven't really noticed any CPU either. This is a full blown desktop workstation, but your laptop doesn't sound like a pushover. Make sure something's not physically wrong, as laptop fans have a tendency to die in rather loud fashion.