1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PC builders - Need some input/advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ALMANST, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Hopefully some of you out there are more familiar with building PCs. I've been out of the loop for a about 5yrs, and I'm looking for some advice or suggestions.

I was able to put together a parts list of what I think would be a good PC for editing and gaming.

Intel Core i5-3570, Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. My budget is around $1000 and would much rather build a pc than buy one.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Do you have somewhere to put photos and other data? 128gb is going to fill up quickly. I personally am a fan of Zalman coolers for the chip. You know you have a micro-ATX board, with a fairly large graphics card and no case, right? If you decide to go with a standard drive, the Z75 boards are almost the same, just without the Smart response (works with SSD's). You can find cases and power supplies for around $50-100. 650W is easily sufficient, you could possibly drop down to 500W for budget reasons.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I'd definitely add a second hard drive, at least 1 TB. I have mine set up so that the OS and software like Photoshop and games are on the SSD, and all of my files - especially photos and videos - are on the HD.

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Just a couple of points

With the SSD specified you will need somewhere else to store all your pictures as otherwise you will fill it very quickly and it will slow down.

The graphics "grunt" required for photography is not that high as it's all 2D rather than the 3D required for games.

The hard drive and graphics are taking a lot of your budget.

My PC is Intel i5-750 O/C @ 3.8G with a lowly AMD 4670 graphics and 3 x 600G WD hard drives in a RAID 5 array giving 1.2T with redundancy and this flys in Lightroom.

I would suggest a lower grade of graphics card and to fit the SSD (operating system and programmes) and also a 1 or 2T hard drive for bulk storage and develop a backup strategy ( I have another backup over and above my raid array).

5. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Sorry, forgot to add that info.

I have other HDs and one external drive, and I also have a case already. The components in my list are the only things I need. I might be able to re-use my PSU which is 430w but I'm not sure, I'd have to take a look at it and find the specs again.

Can someone break down smart response for me?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What Davidzvi put together is much better, taking advantage of the K processor, and the smart response with the z77. Only possible issue is making sure the case takes a 2.5" drive (what the SSD is on this) along with the 3.5" regular one. The other thing which isn't on there, but I always budget for, is power extension cables. Nothing hurts more than getting everything together and being 2" too short on a cord to make it all run, and having to wait another 2 weeks for another system. Only other thing is making sure that the Motherboard and the power supply match (20 vs. 24 pin). Lastly, you want a few fans in the case to help airflow (set up a push/pull couple at least).

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Brand and model? 430w might be pushing it on a 7870 GPU.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Just saw your response as I was typing. Smart Response basically helps take advantage of SSD's with i-core processors. On any board with 77 (H and Z). Z boards work with another graphics card, H are onboard graphics. Are you sure your case takes a micro-ATX board, and if so, are you sure the card you are ordering will fit? Most higher end graphics cards require at least 500W. I ran a 500W with 3 fans, graphics card (required 500W) and 2 front usbs, but it helped when I upgraded (usbs were a bit wonky, fans ran slower during games, etc).

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes should have noted. I used the "K" version of the CPU for overclocking (dead simple on Sandy and Ivy Bridge). If you don't plan on overclocking then you don't even need more than the stock cooler.

11. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    If you're trying to build on a budget, just use the stock cooler, lose the 128GB SSD and pickup a 60GB and run it in RAID mode as a cache for the 1TB hard drive. That way you'll get a slight speed boost without having to deal with putting items on whatever drive.

You can also ditch the case and power supply and pickup an Antec Sonata that includes a decent quality power supply. A 620-watt is a bit overkill.

Unless you're gaming, I'd say go for a sub-$200 graphics card such as a GTX 650/650 Ti or whatever the Radeon equivelent is. Photoshop does take advantage of 3D rendering for filters and effects but its not heavily reliant on it as Premiere.

Also don't forget a copy of Windows in your tally unless you already have a key you can reuse.

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I don't know about relying on the stock cooler longer term. I was running it based on regular Turbo-Boost (idiot proof overclocking), and switching from stock to a dedicated air cooler dropped my temps quite a bit, as well as noise. However, it could easily be a later purchase. I got mine over 6 months later (holiday present).

13. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    The case is an Antec P180 mini and the PSU is a 430W Antec as well... just not sure on the model number.

I already upgraded all the fans in this case when I transplanted my PC to this case years ago.

I might also be able to re-use my cooler master 212 plus CPU heatsink.

14. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The P180 mini is a pretty solid case and I'm sure the PSU is fine. Just pickup an mATX motherboard and an NVIDIA graphics card and you're set since the NVIDIA Kepler series run cooler and require less power - hell I ran a GTX 680 safely on a 400-watt power supply - the power levels never exceeded 300-watts total from the outlet while running Unigine Heaven.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    O/P said photo and gaming. And $1000 budget. Not sure what you mean by getting a 60 and running it RAID mode for a cache. Maybe you're thinking mSATA? But you need a motherboard that would support it. Gigabyte being the most likely.

A 430w would be fine for and iGPU of even a GTX650. But I'm sorry to say that unless it is something other than the version supplied in the Antec cases in the US I would not what I would pick for a power supply. Here it is the Antec Basiq BP430 430W. The lowest 80 PLUS rating and non modular.

ALMANST, if you want to drop down a little on the PSU you might want to look at this one: Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CX500M 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

The SeaSonics are a little better, but this one is fine as well. I picked the 620 originally because if you look at the prices there really is only about $5 between the 520/550/620 SeaSonic. I also only look at PSUs that are at least partially modular.

I would get the "K" and cooler when you think about batching and gaming. But then if he is not going to OC.... As you noted it can always be added. But he originally had a non"K" chip and surely didn't need a $70 cooler for that.

If you have or can get the mounting hardware then sure. The EVO is an updated Plus, slight pipe change and fan upgrade.

I upgraded/change the list. Added back your higher GPU, removed the HDD & case. I change the PSU to a 600w Corsair, only $5 more than the 500w. I also change the motherboard to an mATX version. And removed the cooler.

Intel Core i5-3570K, Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

16. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Intel Smart Response Technology has an SSD size limit of 64GB and you have to set the BIOS to RAID mode to take advantage of it and use it as a cache. All H77/Z77 boards support this via SATA or mSATA SSDs.

Considering a 660 Ti has a max power consumption of 150-watt and typical Ivy Bridge processors with max TDP of 77-watts, you're still within the safe operating parameters of even the 430-watt Basiq power supply.

Here's power consumption numbers of our GTX 660 Ti AMP! Edition (I' work for ZOTAC) vs a Radeon HD 7950 - Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited - The Tech Report - Page 10

That's 250-watts from the entire system under load. Sure you can pickup a better power supply but NVIDIA requirements only recommend 450-watts minimum. Unless the OP plans on overclocking the hell out of everything and running SLI, he can save some cash to keep under his budget by sticking to the case and PSU he has.

And again, I've ran a GTX 680 on a 400-watt power supply and a GTX TITAN on a 600-watt power supply in mini-ITX enclosures without issues. Hell, one of our demo systems we typically use is a GTX 690 in a Silverstone SG07/08 or BitFenix Prodigy.

7168182842_57c200bd92_c.
    ZOTAC GTX 690 with SG08 by tuanies, on Flickr

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well my recommendation goes slightly against a number of others.

Personally I would install 256GB SSD as a primary drive.

I realize that your 'photos' will be in an attached hard disk and only say photoshop and Lightroom on your primary drive. But your primary drive will fill up fast.

I just installed 'Bioshock Infinite' and that alone takes up 17GB of hard disk. The original 'Bioshock' took up just 8GB. So in a year's time you are talking about a top class game requiring 30+ GB. The recommended free space for Bioshock Infinite is 30GB already.

18. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I haven't had the time to read everything, but I strongly suggest you buy your parts from either NCIX.com or Memory Express and use PM to get the best price. Forget about Newegg, TigerDirect and the likes.

Also, for more computer specific questions, the forums at HardwareCanucks is a great place to go.

19. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I run 128G boot SSD, 256G staging SSD and 1T backing store (backing, not backup - I move my images to it when the main SSD is starting to get full). The change from running my most used data disk to an SSD speeded things no end.

As I'm not in the States/Canada, I'll list my preferred parts: PSU: typically Corsair (or one OEM'd by Seasonic), Mobo: Asus/Gigabyte (Zotac do do good ITX sized boards for HTPCs IMHO ;)), plus a decent cooler to get it quiet. I've recently started using NoFan CPU coolers (NOFAN Corporation) and I upgraded my server to a Corsair AX and one of these and now it only has 2 fans turned right down trickling air over the 9 HDDs in it and the only noise it makes is the sound of the disks spinning.

I also have another PC configured as a virtualisation server that has no fans in at all (passive PSU). It's running a i5-3470S and I can't get it to go over about 45 deg C with that heatsink. The case needs to be open though if you're trying to run passive.

Not cheap, but easy on the ear ;)

Cases: either Antec or Fractal Design. Whatever is chosen, the PSU has to go at the bottom IMHO.

No input on graphics cards other than I've generally found Nvidia to be less buggy than ATI....