1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pawn shoppin' :-)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jbuch84, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    So I just got home an old pawn shop out of town got six lenses, $85. Here's what I got :

Vivitar 90-230mm f 4.5 close focus (reverse mounted as of now)
    [​IMG]

Hanimex 28mm f 2.8
    [​IMG]

Soligor 85-205mm f 3.8 macro (poor image quality / hazing)

Olympus Zuiko auto s 50mm f 1.8
    [​IMG]

Soligor mc c/d zoom + macro 80-200mm f 4.5 (disassembled to steal the mount for the vivitar)

Rmc Tokina 28-70mm f 4 (waiting on mount to test)

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Sweet. I go the thrift store route. Pawn shops where I live are insanely overpriced.

3. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I have a Tokina also but it's the 80-200 f/3.5-4.5. The RMC stands for 'R? Multi-Coating" for the lens coating they used. Nobody seems to know what the "R" stands for. Some say rainbow, other say resilient. I get nice pictures with it and I've had it since the mid-80's. Pretty lightweight too and my version is a Canon FD mount. Here is a picture I took with it using a G1. This was at 200mm IIRC.

5262787106_ef34cd5a3c.
    Panasonic G1 + Tokina 80-200mm RMC f/3.5-4.5 by RedNumber5, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  4. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    That is a good shot. Looking forward to getting my adapter for it. The only one that has the same adapter I'm using is the Soligor mc c/d zoom + macro 80-200mm f 4. 5 and I seemed cloudy.. But none have fungus or dust and the aperture functions fine on all... I just need to clean them up :) I know that 3 of them are similar, I'll sell some them I'm sure

Wish we had thrift shops in this neck of the woods, pretty sure these lens have been collecting dust in the pawn shop for years

5. Tokina RMC 28-70mm f4? I vote for rainbow.

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/ttlonline/m43/?action=view&amp;current=P3062109-PPR.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]

6. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thats the exact one i have :) I'm not sure what to think about manuals just yet.. I like being able to dial them in, makes me feel like I'm getting to interact more... but i notice when i get home and pull up my pics i hardly ever get them as sharp as i felt they were... and miss a lot of pics while focusing in. But that being said, I'm sure they are just fine for tripod shots. At least I have toys to play with while saving for native lenses!

Oh and both my Soligor lenses = poop. The Hanimex surprised me though, it's actually a nice little close up prime.

7. My copy of the Tokina is quite good for an older zoom lens. Sharpish, smallish, lightish, decent macro performance. It's interesting to see how they acheived the constant max aperture. As you zoom out to 28mm, part of the diaphragm becomes exposed at f4 so the aperture is actually being restricted at wide angle. I'm just not generally a fan of all-manual zoom lenses. Adjusting focus, aperture, and zoom on the lens is just one control too many for my liking. Two control rings maximum, I reckon.

8. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I agree, it's a pretty nice piece of glass. In my boredom i found some duct tape lol, this is what came from it:
    [​IMG]

That's the 1970's Vivitar 90-230mm f 4.5 close focus (made by Tokina) Duct taped in reverse to my fotodiox om mount none the less... No Cropping, that's full frame and from about 8" away from subject. The Close up ring on it lets me focus in reverse macro nicely. Might have to order some reverse rings :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. The zooms aren't going to be the most impressive manual lenses you will use. Some old prime lenses can be virtually as sharp as modern lenses. The Canon new FDs can be very sharp, although they are not my favourite lenses to use. I'm not entirely surprised by your assessment of the Hanimex. Some of my off-brand wide-angle lenses are my favourites. https://www.mu-43.com/f40/non-oem-brand-lens-image-thread-9366/