Patagonian Tulips

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
My wife and I have been locked down in Argentina for seven months now. At times lockdown was extremely severe, only allowed to go to buy food. Today we have a little freedom and are able to travel a few miles from our newly adopted home in Esquel, Patagonia. Spring here is well under way. Not too distant is a tulip farm which opens its gates to visitors during October. We've seen the tulips in Holland but they just seem to be far more impressive with the Andes as a backdrop.

Some of these images were focus stacked. I hand held the camera and used Photoshop to do the stacking. I was surprised, given that they were hand held, how well they worked :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WT21

Super Moderator
Lovely images and thanks for sharing!

What do they use the tulips for? It seems they are not selling them, as they are all opening? Just curious.

Great to see that spring look while facing fall into winter up here :)

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@WT21 - good question. They sell the bulbs, not sure who to. It's only a very small operation. What you can see in the second photo is pretty much their whole crop.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Camped at Lago Futalaufquen many years ago. Have you been to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's hideout?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Camped at Lago Futalaufquen many years ago. Have you been to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's hideout?
Unfortunately no. It's currently out of bounds due to Covid :-(

Edit: just to elaborate a little. From Esquel, we can ride about 5 miles south east before we reach the police roadblock which prevents us getting out onto Ruta 40. South west we can go as far as the Chilean border, but that is closed. We can ride into Parque Nacional Los Alerces but cannot go to Cholila which is where the Butch Cassidy and Sundance hideout is.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom