Patagonia Trip and OM-D E-M5

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
I am basically looking for verification of a decision. I am registered for a serious Patagonia photography workshop (Ian Plant). I have a D300 and assorted lenses and my E-M5 kit. I obviously want to return with great images and I feel that I can do so with my M4/3 kit as long as I practice good technique and post processing. Obviously I am investing a lot in the trip and want some reassurance that I do not need to suddenly get gear lust.

Rudy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would highly recommend a good tripod / head and make yourself use it.
This would allow you to get the most out of your M43 gear and you could also stitch panoramas.
Most subjects in Patagonia will not run away, but the light might be dim or very contrasty.
The latter can be helped by exposure bracketing which you can easily process if the frames line up nicely.
Rudy

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
Rudy, Thanks for the reply. I do have a good tripod and ball head with a leveling plate and I use them. I am sure many shots will be in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would love to go to patagonia... seems like a very photogenic place.

In your circumstances I would make sure I bring a tripod and a set of various filters (CPL, ND and maybe GND). Might also consider something wider angle. If funds permit and you don't mind the extra weight, I'd consider swapping the 12-50 for the 12-40. Having said that, the 12-50 will still do an adequate job.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
For the last workshop I took I used an E-M5 and a Nikon V1, leaving the D7000 and many pounds on lenses home. The next, in Yosemite, will be all m43 (E-M1 & GX7). I'm confident any of these cameras can outshoot me.

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
I went to patagonia last year with an em5 and some lenses. Thats all you need. You can bring a 50k hasselblad if you want but it wont give you better images than your em5, as it all depends on who presses the shutter. Enjoy your trip and leave all the gear behind you dont need it. More than gear bring a good cpl and some nd if you want. Its beautiful down there

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=46362

Ps: Bring lots of batteries you are going to shoot a lot

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
I went to patagonia last year with an em5 and some lenses. Thats all you need. You can bring a 50k hasselblad if you want but it wont give you better images than your em5, as it all depends on who presses the shutter. Enjoy your trip and leave all the gear behind you dont need it. More than gear bring a good cpl and some nd if you want. Its beautiful down there

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=46362

Chrisnmn, thank-you for the link to your post but the images do not seem to be available now. Do you have them posted somewhere else?

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
I would love to go to patagonia... seems like a very photogenic place.

In your circumstances I would make sure I bring a tripod and a set of various filters (CPL, ND and maybe GND). Might also consider something wider angle. If funds permit and you don't mind the extra weight, I'd consider swapping the 12-50 for the 12-40. Having said that, the 12-50 will still do an adequate job.

Good advice on swapping out the 12-50 for a 12-40...I just need approval from the CFO.

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
A follow-up question has occurred to me. I am starting to think that I might want a b/u body. OM-10 or a Pen?

Latest threads

Top Bottom