Patagonia in autumn

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Fred - what a trip! Can you tell us a bit about your vacation and these photos? That mountain range in the second one (and again in the last) is beautiful and I just love the ship...and would love to know more.

Never been to Patagonia, though many years ago I read a wonderful book called "In Patagonia" by Bruce Chatwin, that I'll never forget.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Beautiful images ; the rotting boat is heart-wrecking, but makes such a good and graphic photography ! No wonder you had an offer for them ! The 1st and the last are especially good, I can see the guy who made your book use them to advertise his products capabilities !

Fred49

Mu-43 Regular
We spent :

9 days in Torres del Paine park, as it was end of april most refugios were closing so we had autumn forest colors , some snow and close to no one on trail ( at most a dozen the first days, and we saw no one in 4 days when doing the circuit as it was officialy closed , we had a few times snow up to the waist but it wasnt really bad at Paso Gardner )

this image is really bad but it shows the worse we had :

100511045623966486010589.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

we rented a car to see the area around puerto natales and to take animal pictures ( mostly with my wife FZ38)

we took the bus to Ushuaia and spent a few days there hiking , doing boat trips etc..

100511045609966486010585.jpg

we took a bus to Punta Arenas, and rented a car to visit the area, hike a bit etc..

Torres del Paine was great, and elsewhere we saw great landscape , met nice people, eated and drinked good wines !

But outside of parcs everything is :
100511052442966486010782.jpg

because all the land is devoted to :

100511082419966486012145.jpg

you can access the sea only in cities when the road is a few meter from, or for the last 50km of the continent toward cabo Froward.

i will post a few more photos once at home i have only a few with me atm.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Fred,
some great images there, particularly like the tug (my favourite form of ship) and as an ornithologist the kingfisher is splendid. I think it's a Ringed Kingfisher, the distribution of which stretches from the lower Rio Grande in Texas right down to Tierra del Fuego.
Thanks for posting those.
Barrie

Fred49

Mu-43 Regular
The kingfisher wasnt shy , i wasnt even at full zoom when i took this photo with the FZ38 :)

THe snow was mostly from knee to mid thigh and only a very few times to the waist , so it was a very tiring day but we did it without snowshoes and it was worth it, when there is little or no snow in october-march the area is full of hikers.

2 more photos from Torres del Paine.

100609045038966486195315.jpg

100609045032966486195314.jpg

we really enjoyed our trip, but in the past 2 years we hiked in Greenland, Scotland highlands and Iceland, those 3 offer stunning landscape too, but also much more freedom.

JoeG

Mu-43 Regular
Another Chatwin fan here. His book, along with all the Patagonia outdoor gear posters from years back, put Patagonia on my list of must-sees. Sorry about the private property restrictions you ran into, but judging by the photos, you managed to see plenty.

I especially like the first shot of your original series. What a writer's retreat that little trailer would make!

Fred49

Mu-43 Regular

Latest threads

Top Bottom