Passport Color Checker and Aperture 3?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OPSSam, Apr 28, 2011.

1. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    I was posting this to see if anyone out there has used the passport color checker with Aperture 3. I understand there is an automatic calibration plugin that works with Lightroom, but Aperture would be a manual job to make use of it.

My question is, is the color checker really worth it? I like the idea that it could improve the color fidelity in my photos, but on the other hand, I have survived without it so far. Any real world experience and/or advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My 2 cents

I don't use Aperture, but I do use the Passport with CS5 and LR. Basically, you take one RAW test shoot of the Passport in the light you are shooting. When you get home you use that shoot to create a color profile that nails the white balance, down perfect. The change it makes is not dramatic, but the changes do improve skin tones.

One final comment...
    In order to get the full benefit you also need to be using a monitor color calibration system. If you are shooting accurate color, you need to see it accurately. I'm using the Spyder 3 and the combination has really improved my work.
    • Like Like x 1