Paris

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
OK, this could be user error, but I can't find a stand-alone thread about Paris? We will be there for 5 nights over the Valentine Day weekend, I am joining my wife after she is in London for business. I am wondering what gear I can take into the museums and art galleries and I would like to hear about what lenses others have taken? I am thinking of taking the PL 8-18, 17/17.5, 25, and, 42.5 but only carrying two to three at a time. Can you please post a link to a similar thread or kindly add your advice here.

Real Name
Chris
The 8-18 should cover the bulk of your needs. The 25 and 42.5 should add the reach you may need occasionally.

I don’t have those lenses but was happy with my 12-35 and a 45.

Real Name
Mark
I spent a week in Paris in October on various photo walks. My most used lens was the O12-100mm f/4.0 Pro which hardly left my E-M1 MkII. I don’t know what photographic subject matter interests you the most. Nevertheless, given the lenses you have the PL8-18 and the O12-40 Pro, together with O17, would give you a lot of flexibility without having to swap out your lenses too frequently. I prefer zoom lenses when traveling as there were many occasions when zooming with your feet was not possible when photographing many of the iconic sites in Paris.

Last edited:
Real Name
Rob
I spent a few days in Paris, took a P14, P20 & O45. The 20mm got the most use, but that's just my preferred fov. If I'd had the 12-40 then, it would probably never have come off the camera. I don't really "do" UWA.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd been in Paris years and years ago, back when I was still lugging around my Canon system, and I remember that I mostly shot with my EFS 10-22 wide angle lens. I didn't expect everything to be so HUGE, so when I tried to shoot a building and give it context (surrounding area) I was thankful for every extra mm that I could go wide. Looking at LR, 95% of my keepers were shot with the wide lens, so I'd suggest to take the 8-18 and the 42.5 for more detailed shots when you want to focus on a specific subject. I found that my longer lens served me well when taking photos from the Eiffeltower, so that's where you'd definitely would want something longer. Have fun!

Like @Julia my last trip to Paris was pre-Mu-43. I shot with what I brought... Nikon 24-85 on a D700. Most shots were at the lower end, cuz as most have said the buildings are huge... and the streets are narrow. What I did miss was having more reach at times... even though I took a 70-300 with me it was big and heavy and I only brought it out for the last day of shooting... just to justify having brought it in the first place.

Since moving to mu43 the 12-100 has become my go to travel lens and that extra 125 mm has been a godsend in Europe. I also brought my 7-14 and used it for shots of frescos and interiors. This past year I also took the 25/1.2 and it was a beauty for extreme low light. Next year it will be replaced by the 17/1.2 for the extra girth it will provide.

Shooting indoors at museums will vary from one to the next. Some allow it, some don’t. Definitley leave your tripod and flash in the hotel when visiting. Be prepared to have your bags checked at the entrances. Imo if you are toting one body and lens the 12-100 range should do it. A UWA is great if you want to capture interiors. Maybe a small 8mm if you have it for the frescoes... I got a number of full ceiling shots by lying on the floor and shooting at 7mm... lots of stares and smiles too! If you have a lens pouch you can put your spare lens in I’d advise that over even as sling or messenger bag. Or, as On the first trip where photography was on my mind, I had a wonderful, now worn out, vest with pockets that seemed made just for batteries, a spare lens... and even a water bottle... the perfect hands free experience. I’m looking for another for the next trip.

My first trip to Paris was in 1969, but I don’t think you need to know anything about the Starmite II I totes around do you?

Real Name
Chris
Thanks, Chris. I should have probably said that 35mm equiv. is my favorite FL and a 17/17.5 will be coming with me. I will probably only take one of the 25 or 42.5.
As people are mentioning, the wide end is needed in the tight streets of Paris. Some of the sights are very large but you cannot get back too far. You have that covered. The O17 pro is great for museums where lighting is not always too bright. Combining its sharpness, field of view and low light capability, it is perfect for many museums.

Last edited:

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always seem to forget how tricky the light actually is and how many people there always are in museums, my next venture would include a discreet monopod, and kicking up my iso. I end up shooting a lot of the interiors of the buildings. I will try and stick with my fastest lenses and also remember that I can stitch pano's. Anthony Morganti has some good vids on HDR and panning.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
When my wife and I visited Paris last summer, the vast majority of my keepers were wide angle; I agree with the above comment that your 8-18mm will probably get the bulk of the work. The lens I really wished for (which I didn't have at the time) was the Laowa 7.5mm f/2. The ultrawide perspective is great for the narrow streets, grand interiors, and adding interest to well-photographed tourist sites. And the f/2 aperture would've been great for dim cathedral lighting. The 8-18mm will probably do nicely, but I'd maybe consider bringing your PL 12mm as well for the extra aperture, though maybe that's overly redundant with your 17mm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom