1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Paris with the family. Lens options

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by optigan, Jun 14, 2015.

1. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Hi. I'm off to Paris with the wife and kids. My Oly em5 in tow. I have the Panny 14, Panny 25 and the Oly 45.

I will have my hands full so considering the fixed 2.8 zooms 12-35 or 12-40. Think I'll want the wide mostly to include family in scenic shots but the 14 is my least favorite lens.

Input? Maybe just a 20 1.7 and some extra diapers.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Get the 12-40/2.8 along with the P25/1.4 for a general fast lens and enjoy the time and experience with the family.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Surely you would have room to bring 2-3 small primes. They add up to less weight than the single f2.8 zoom. Keep the extras in the diaper bag in small lens pouches. Try to minimize swaps. You don't need any new gear and I'm sure the trip is costing you enough already.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd go with an LX100 to keep it small and versatile, with not too much sacrifice of IQ. 24-75mm range should get the job done. Add the E-M5 + 25/1.4 if you think you'll use it and don't mind the extra baggage.

5. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    The trip is costing plenty and I'd rather not buy another lens let alone one that covers a range I already have. The lx100 is an interesting thought. My 25 is my favorite lens if I had only one. I just wish I liked the 14 more. Thanks for everyone's thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To be honest, I think a kit lens will do just as well as an f2.8 zoom for travel. Most of your shots are of scenery, which means f4 or f5.6 aperture and relying on IS for low light. If you really don't want to swap lenses, buy a Panasonic 14-42 II for like $125. It's very sharp and very light.

Although, like I said above, you should be fine with what you have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My pick with be a wide to tele zoom (e.g. a kit) for the day and the 25mm f/1.4 or 20mm f/1.7 for low light, and some nice environmental portraits.

8. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I was there 2 years ago with an em-5, P12-35, P25, P60 and fisheye. The 12-35 was on the camera 95% of the time. In low light I just increased the ISO. I left the 25 and 60 behind after awhile. I highly recommend the 12-40mm and a fisheye is fun and interesting. Bring a couple of extra batteries and plenty of memory. Enjoy yourself.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  9. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I used to be a prime purist. My favorite lenses include the 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8, and 75mm f1.8. They are fun to take out because they are small and the single focal length makes you have to think about your photography. All of that being said, the 12-40mm f2.8 is simply a stunning lens.
    I was recently on vacation and I ended up putting the 12-40 on with no extra lenses while using all of that extra space in my camera bag for things like snacks and water bottles. I didn't miss the primes at all. Don't get me wrong, I still love my primes very much. Despite that, the 12-40 is simply an impeccable companion and the only regret to owning one is seeing your primes gather dust.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    What you already have is fine. With the abundance of choice lenses, its easy to forget the super output of the 14 and 45. In fact, you could arguably use just the 14 and 45, the only reason to take the 25 would be for late night shots which you wouldn't have much time to do if you're going with young kids. Spend the cash elsewhere, sounds like the trips expensive enough as it is.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Photography never mixes too well with family holidays in my experience - unless getting up at the crack of dawn whilst they're all asleep is an option! So, I'd be tempted to take what you already have - the 14/25/45 combo is a nice mix. Also, Paris has been photographed to death by photographers the world over - so just enjoy your time there and focus on shots of the family. Parisians can be very rude too - so don't take it personally!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Amen

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Strobist did an excellent series on photographing Paris, and he's someone who also travels with family. I watched it on Lynda.com as my employment has a corporate login I can use... But it might well behove you to start a free trial or something so you can watch it. I like David Hobby a lot.

14. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

IMHO, a trip like this (trip w/wife and kids, emphasis on convenience and budget) is exactly what a kit zoom was made for. I've never owned a kit zoom that didn't produce acceptable images, and I think most of the m43 kit zooms are actually quite good.
    I think the 12-50 is a steal in the used market, and is perfect for a trip like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Thanks everyone. I do have a kit lens but don't ever use it. I don't like the results. The 25 (and 45) are excellent but I think for family the 12-20 range is important with 12 being a bit too wide for people in the frame. Think I will use the 14 and make it work. Got a big suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I would probably use the 14/20 combo. Not much in paris needs telephoto, so the 45 would be the first to go if I couldn't take it. You may not like the 14mm now, but after a vacation and using it al the time you'll soon figure out if it's love or hate!

However, I'd probably choose the 12-35 over all of them giving me the most flexibility.

17. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Since you already have the 14mm, have you considered picking up the conversion lenses (GWC1 and the GFC1). You can find them fairly cheap if bought used. They make for some interesting shots if you think the 14mm is boring by itself.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  18. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I've heard more than one person say this about traveling in various parts of the world, and I find it ... perplexing. Are most people not interested in getting close-ups of architectural details and statuary at the tops of buildings and monuments? :hmmm:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I really don't get this whole 'what lens should i take to city x 'thing... take the lenses you like to take photos with and then take the photos you like

If you are visiting Paris with the family... then take the lenses you go out with your family with any other time.

You don't have to document Paris.. thats been done endlessly already.. your don't need the trophy picture of the eiffel tower, OK maybe one of the family in front of it just to prove you were there.. but heck an iphone photo covers that.

Document the experience of you and your family in a wonderful and interesting city...one of the worlds finest.. I lived there for close to 10 years... never went up the eiffel tower or went to the louvre while I lived there... though I would recommend going up the Arc de Triomphe.

The rest of France regard Parisians as rude so don't confuse Paris and France..if you are in a cafe...the guy or gal ain't serving you for tips.. they are on a wage.. Open with a Bonjour , and even if thats the limit of your french, you will usually be treated better than if you don't. I will leave you look up politesse... basically the French etiquette.

Take the lenses for the photos you want to take... and those shouldn't be the postcard shots, but the personal moment s with your family, or the times you sneak out early morning or late at night and play at being Cartier Bresson :_)

enjoy your trip

K

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    And if you have a phone with a nice camera (iPhone, etcetera.), that is your second body with a 28mm equiv.