1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Paris & Rome

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by badcatgary, Oct 15, 2012.

1. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    After my less-than-trusty Sony A300 broke down on me last year I decided to invest in a new system. Thanks in no small part to this community, I settled on a Panasonic G3 and haven't looked back!

I figured it was time to start giving back, so here are a few pictures that I took on a quick trip to Paris and Rome at the end of September.

I brought along my kit lens, 45-200mm and pl25. I think I took 3 or 4 shots each with the first two lenses and a few hundred with the pl25! I'm pretty sure all of these were taken with the pl25.

P1080841.

P1080911.

P1090152.

P1090396.

P1090548.

P1090650.

P1090667.

P1090898.

Thanks for looking!

bcg

• Like Like x 16
  2. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    nice captures !

3. Stewmander

Stewmander Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice photos! My wife and I just got back from a trip to London, Paris, and Rome and have tons of photos on my E-PL1

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Great shots mate...really like your work. Nicely framed and your color treatment really brings out rich textures of those 2 old cities.

....and wow, what a trip down memory lane for me, been to every one of those particular places and it so good to be reminded of them again.

:)

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great shots! I particularly like the look & feel of the first one... lots of contrast to it and it's visually interesting without being too overwhelming.

Part of me wants the building and more of the background to be in focus but then the shallow DoF in the shot is also alluring since it makes it feel like to me like the woman left of center is the subject and it's almost like she's walking into the background. No idea if that made sense, but just figured I'd share my initial reaction for whatever it's worth :tongue:

6. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    Thanks, Joe!

I've been an admirer of your work for a while. Your snowboarding trip photos are what put the pl25 on my radar to begin with.

7. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    Thanks, and your thoughts make perfect sense, especially since that woman is my wife :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Haha, I actually thought that might be the case, but I've learned not to assume :tongue:

9. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    Very nice work. My wife and I were just in Italy and London a few weeks ago for our honeymoon. We went to most of the same landmarks while in Rome, so your photos look familiar. I like your photo of the fountain and Pantheon at night; different perspective. Now with the last Colloseum photo, we didn't come across a way to get down to the lowest level. Did we apparently miss that part or did you have some special tour?

10. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    You need to take the Underground Tour which takes you down into the dungeon and up to the third level (both areas are closed to most visitors). I'm not a big tour guy, but it was definitely worth it.

11. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Nice use of single perspective.
    Was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and you certainly nailed the atmosphere.

12. The PL25 will do that to you. Superb set of images!

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    very very nice photos! Do you do anything special in post processing ? I like the very contrasty look they have. :2thumbs:

14. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    Thanks! I do all post processing in Lightroom 4. I've been using a G3 camera profile from Raw Therapee and a tailored version of the VSCO Kodak Portra 800 develop profile.

I'm partially color blind, so I try to avoid making color adjustments beyond the VSCO toolkit.

I will adjust tone, clarity and noise reduction as necessary.