Paris before Christmas

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Qiou87, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone! I went for a small street shoot with a few photog friends around the Champs-Elysées, Place de la Concorde and Place Vendôme yesterday. We had some fun shooting around the christmas market. Here's a few shots I'd like to show you and get your feedback. I should point out that I'd rather you tell me how to improve my shots, than just give me the classic "4 words heartless feedback" you usually get on Facebook or Flickr.

All of them are shot with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8, which I found to be quite bad with flare when closed down for long exposure tripod shots. The camera is my trusty Olympus E-M5, mostly used between 800 and 1600ISO (I find anything higher to be unusable for my taste). I put those shots and a few others in a Flickr album.

11254488395_05fa327544_c.
    La Grand Roue (still) par Qiou87, sur Flickr

11243457196_f896dbdbfc_c.
    Happy Matriochka par Qiou87, sur Flickr

11243530313_db01f2f1d8_c.
    Color Bubbles par Qiou87, sur Flickr

11243459974_a760f09dd5_c.
    Petit Palais par Qiou87, sur Flickr

Then there's this shot, which is a lot more graphic in black & white, and I like it quite a lot. It's the big wheel you see above but shot up close looking up. I usually don't like mixing color and B&W in an album but didn't feel like I had much choice here.

11254950194_15111859f2_c.
    Grande roue (detail) par Qiou87, sur Flickr

EDIT on December 9th: updated "Petit Palais" with fixed perspective.

• Like Like x 20
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All very nice. The petit palais is spoilt IMHO by the vehicles - esp the red van. However, hard to avoid in cities.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Wonderful set! I especially enjoy the vender exuberance.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah the Matrioshka seller looks Kirghiz.
    I got a nice saddle from a Kirghiz stallholder in Moscow ... and a wolfskin, and a rug.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Stunning night photography! :2thumbs:

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    The first image might be improved by putting a little more space between the two objects of interest, if possible. I love the second image. Maybe a detail of the Petit Palais would be just as interesting and eliminate the vehicles. Nice set of images.

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Wonderful!

8. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    That' a very good point actually. I tend to place my tripod in an area where I feel might be appropriate but rarely move it afterwards. In this case moving it a few steps to the right might have given me more room between the wheel and the "Obélisque".

The vehicles in front of the Grand Palais (the building I was shotting the Petit Palais from, since they face each other) are indeed kind of ruining the view. To be completely honest I had no expectations regarding this shot, but ended up liking it after stitching and a bit of post to bring out the structure of the facade.

@Ulfric: so this "Matriochka" is actually kirghiz? Wow, people travel quite a lot to sell stuff here...

I noticed something fun: I get a lot more views on the "Color bubbles" shot on Flickr, even though I feel that it's the most boring and unoriginal one of these. My personal favorite is the matriochka, I feel like her expression is priceless.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Outstanding set, very nicely done! :2thumbs:

10. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Err - are you sure that the "Pettit Palais" was taken with the 12-35? It looks like the perspective of a fisheye to me.

11. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    He said in post #8 that its a stitched panorama.

12. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    As woody pointed out, I stitched 3 shots together for this one. I tried to correct the perspective with Lightroom but the tools are too limited and I do not have access to the Photoshop wide-angle perspective correction tool at this time.

13. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    The set is very nice! Thank you for sharing!

14. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    I had two sets of critics on this particular shot, so I took a little time in Photoshop and Lightroom to try and improve it.

The first one was the uncorrected perspective ; this was fixed using the "adaptative wide angle" filter in Photoshop. I believe it looks much better now (first post updated).

Second one was the red cars, which I tried to tone down by desaturating the red color channel in Lightroom. I cannot eliminate them altogether (and having a shot without cars might prove impossible as this area is heavily crowded all year) but I think it helps to make them less "flashy".

At last I also boosted the right part of the roof to better match the right side.