Parallels Desktop for Mac vs. VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
  2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    virtualbox

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I used to use Parallels every day for work but haven't had that need for about a year and a half, so can't comment on the current versions. A good friend uses his MacBook Pro and uses a software to be able to run Windows XP....for work and I will speak to him forthwith and get back to you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    :eek: and the same to you Boris on this fine March evening :rofl:

BB+ - many thanks for your very kind and considerate answer - it is good to see that civility still reigns in Americas great "Capital" - (I know it's DC - but that wouldn't fit) .........

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

My friend uses VMware Fusion and the only negative he has is that on his MacBook Pro on SnowLeopard (it was fine on Leopard) takes a bit long to get going when he first starts it up in the morning, after that it's fine.

If you have more questions, let me know and I can put you in touch with him directly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I've been using Fusion for a couple of years now. Everything perfect up to version 2, now with version 3 most of the times I'm having beachballs spinning when going back and forth between the virtual machine window and Mac OS. It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem though, so I guess it's just an unfortunate combination of factors on my iMac.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    sinophilia - thanks - "beach balls" - you are putting me off Fusion

my son always does this when I decide on something - he researches stuff then throws in the odd doubting email

Presumably one not to use is "Boot camp"

I can see me using PC apps on the imac as an everyday occurrence - so a good virtual machine is important to me

8. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Fusion

I run this both at work and at home. Have to admit that Windows (just using XP Prof...) doesn’t get too much screen time, but Fusion has been running flawlessly since I installed it. 10.6.x on both machines (Mac Pro at work, iMac (wife’s) at home.) I love the way that it puts the virtual machine to rest and then when I re-open it there it is just like I left it—no re-boots, etc. Also the drag and drop between the two systems! Can’t really comment on Parallel, as I had a copy of v1, and haven’t tried any of the newer updates.

I’m pretty certain that you can run free trials of each, so why not take each for a spin, or at least the one that you are most tempted by, and see if you run into problems with your configuration.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Bill... Virtualbox is free.... As fast as parallels... I only need winblows for Visio, and it works great.

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Boris - when did you get the 50mm 1.1 - I've not seen any shots with it - have I?

Isn't Virtualbox difficult to understand by gorks

11. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    great deal on Parallel

Even though I wrote earlier about preferring Fusion, Parallel is part of the spring MacUpdate bundle—so for $50 you get Parallel and several other apps—the only other one I know much about is SpellCatcher, which I recently upgraded to run with 10.6..., by far my favorite spell checker.

Here's the link:

http://www.mupromo.com/?ref=4506

• Like Like x 1
  12. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    Parallels = Panasonic
    Fusion = Olympus

I personally use Fusion, Parallels is technically more advanced, but fusion works for me, i have tried various versions of windows and XP seems the slickest followed by 7, avoid vista at all cost!

13. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I just switched to Parallels 5 as it was included in a Mac Update bundle... well I must say I like it a lot and it's much more streamlined and agile than Fusion 3. Even Windows XP looks faster... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I am using Parallel 5 from today - as you say it came with the Bundle

15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I did this too. I have both but latest parallels is better than fusion.