Paradiso

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
As many of you know I moved from Texas to Alaska last winter and since arriving I have been wanting to go camping. It never worked out that I was able to do any winter camping and then covid-19 put a stop to camping for a bit. A month a go the governor opened up the state to allow travel between communities and on a drive to Homer I discovered Kenai Lake and made plans to get a camping trip in.

Three weeks a go I was able to do my first camping trip in Alaska and it was just what I needed…………………

I had made the drive a week earlier, so knew what mpg I should expect. The gear I was bringing would fit in the car but since I am planning some much longer trips where gear may have to go on top I wanted to test mpg with the basket loaded on a known trip.

So on top is where the gear went.

Loaded Up by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After arriving at the lake I decided a photograph of the CrossTrek on location before unloading was in order.

Arrival by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After getting camp setup I pulled out the tripod and captured this image of the ridge on the other side of the lake. Wish the wind had been just a little bit calmer.

The Ridge by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I have 3 different tents and for this trip I brought my kayak camping tent because I wanted a little more room over my backpacking tent but didn’t feel like setting up my 6 person car camping trip.

So here is a photograph of my weekend home away from home, the amazing REI Half Dome 2 Plus.

Half Dome by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Whenever camping I always start my fires with minimal items to keep my skills sharp in case I ever need them. This fire was started with gathered wood from beach and woods along with some cotton balls covered in Vaseline and a simple striker (two items that in the survival kit that is always in my pack when I head into the wilderness).

The Pit by Phocal Art, on Flickr

This trip wasn’t so much about photography as it was about getting out into nature and just relaxing. So when I was packing for the trip I knew the photography would be more about landscape stuff than wildlife so I didn’t pack the Little Tuna. While sitting at my fire relaxing I saw this amazing view of the moon and these super cool clouds. I immediately grabbed the EM1 that had the 300/4 mounted but it provided to much reach, it as at this point I wish I had thrown the Little Tuna into the bag. So I dug the 14-54mm out of the bag and was able to capture this shot. I know the shoreline gives the impression the photo is crooked but it really is straight, always use the electronic level when I am shooting (wildlife as well as landscape).

Cloud Surfing by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I really wanted to get some black sky star shots but as midnight approached I was getting tired, so had to settle for this image.

Blue Ridge by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I had been planning this shot all day and really wanted a black sky but the sun just hadn’t gone far enough behind the horizon and I was tired.

Home by Phocal Art, on Flickr

There were a few other people camping on the beach as well as some there just for the day. Had 3 different groups of people come by and all of them commented on Jerry, my pink flamingo.

First order of business in the morning was getting that coffee.

Morning Coffee by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Followed by breakfast.

Breaking Fast by Phocal Art, on Flickr

While sitting there enjoying the morning this guy by. I liked the cool blue colors and thought it made a good abstract image.

Blue Bird by Phocal Art, on Flickr

The road along the lake goes to another lake and I really wanted to check it out for a possible future trip. So after breaking camp (this time gear was inside since my mpg check was complete) I headed out to explore the road and other lake before heading home.

Road Less Traveled by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the other lake. I got to a spot where it looks like they stop plowing in the winter, so there was a huge pile of snow blocking the road. The lake I camped by was still iced over the week prior, so finding the snow pile wasn’t unusual. That reminds me, for those wondering it dropped to around 28 that night and when I was making coffee and breakfast it was probably only around freezing (so still pretty cold).

On the way home I spotted this view and couldn’t resist stopping for a photograph.

Tern Star by Phocal Art, on Flickr

For those wondering, the last two fisheye shots were taken a f22 so I could get the star.

Hope you enjoyed the story and the photos.

Last week I went to Denali National Park and hope to have those photographs up soon.

As always, critiques and comments are always welcome

Phocal

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
So glad that you can now get out and explore that truly astonishing country.
Thank you for giving us that brief glimpse and I can't wait to seeing more of your exploits.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So glad that you can now get out and explore that truly astonishing country.
Thank you for giving us that brief glimpse and I can't wait to seeing more of your exploits.
Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Hopefully I will get around to posting my Denali trip soon. Heading out on an overnight backpacking trip on Tuesday, hoping to find some bears to photograph.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Gorgeous. What a beautiful setting to camp in. That shot with the moon and clouds was sublime. Mahalo!
Yes it was a beautiful spot, I will go back sometime this summer. Thanks, I was sitting there having a drink when I saw that. Was glad it turned out as well as it did.

Bristolero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As many of you know I moved from Texas to Alaska last winter and since arriving I have been wanting to go camping. It never worked out that I was able to do any winter camping and then covid-19 put a stop to camping for a bit. A month a go the governor opened up the state to allow travel between communities and on a drive to Homer I discovered Kenai Lake and made plans to get a camping trip in.

Three weeks a go I was able to do my first camping trip in Alaska and it was just what I needed…………………

I had made the drive a week earlier, so knew what mpg I should expect. The gear I was bringing would fit in the car but since I am planning some much longer trips where gear may have to go on top I wanted to test mpg with the basket loaded on a known trip.

So on top is where the gear went.

View attachment 825777Loaded Up by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After arriving at the lake I decided a photograph of the CrossTrek on location before unloading was in order.

View attachment 825778Arrival by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After getting camp setup I pulled out the tripod and captured this image of the ridge on the other side of the lake. Wish the wind had been just a little bit calmer.

View attachment 825779The Ridge by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I have 3 different tents and for this trip I brought my kayak camping tent because I wanted a little more room over my backpacking tent but didn’t feel like setting up my 6 person car camping trip.

So here is a photograph of my weekend home away from home, the amazing REI Half Dome 2 Plus.

View attachment 825780Half Dome by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Whenever camping I always start my fires with minimal items to keep my skills sharp in case I ever need them. This fire was started with gathered wood from beach and woods along with some cotton balls covered in Vaseline and a simple striker (two items that in the survival kit that is always in my pack when I head into the wilderness).

View attachment 825781The Pit by Phocal Art, on Flickr

This trip wasn’t so much about photography as it was about getting out into nature and just relaxing. So when I was packing for the trip I knew the photography would be more about landscape stuff than wildlife so I didn’t pack the Little Tuna. While sitting at my fire relaxing I saw this amazing view of the moon and these super cool clouds. I immediately grabbed the EM1 that had the 300/4 mounted but it provided to much reach, it as at this point I wish I had thrown the Little Tuna into the bag. So I dug the 14-54mm out of the bag and was able to capture this shot. I know the shoreline gives the impression the photo is crooked but it really is straight, always use the electronic level when I am shooting (wildlife as well as landscape).

View attachment 825782Cloud Surfing by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I really wanted to get some black sky star shots but as midnight approached I was getting tired, so had to settle for this image.

View attachment 825783Blue Ridge by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I had been planning this shot all day and really wanted a black sky but the sun just hadn’t gone far enough behind the horizon and I was tired.

View attachment 825784Home by Phocal Art, on Flickr

There were a few other people camping on the beach as well as some there just for the day. Had 3 different groups of people come by and all of them commented on Jerry, my pink flamingo.

First order of business in the morning was getting that coffee.

View attachment 825785Morning Coffee by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Followed by breakfast.

View attachment 825786Breaking Fast by Phocal Art, on Flickr

While sitting there enjoying the morning this guy by. I liked the cool blue colors and thought it made a good abstract image.

View attachment 825787Blue Bird by Phocal Art, on Flickr

The road along the lake goes to another lake and I really wanted to check it out for a possible future trip. So after breaking camp (this time gear was inside since my mpg check was complete) I headed out to explore the road and other lake before heading home.

View attachment 825788Road Less Traveled by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the other lake. I got to a spot where it looks like they stop plowing in the winter, so there was a huge pile of snow blocking the road. The lake I camped by was still iced over the week prior, so finding the snow pile wasn’t unusual. That reminds me, for those wondering it dropped to around 28 that night and when I was making coffee and breakfast it was probably only around freezing (so still pretty cold).

On the way home I spotted this view and couldn’t resist stopping for a photograph.

View attachment 825789Tern Star by Phocal Art, on Flickr

For those wondering, the last two fisheye shots were taken a f22 so I could get the star.

Hope you enjoyed the story and the photos.

Last week I went to Denali National Park and hope to have those photographs up soon.

As always, critiques and comments are always welcome

Phocal
Ronnie,
Great post! I was looking at the headline pic and thinking "That's Tern Lake. Gotta' be taken by an Alaskan"--and it was. We used to camp there when I was a kid.
Glad you're enjoying the place, and I look forward to more of your awesome photos and commentary.
All the best,
Eric

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Ronnie,
Great post! I was looking at the headline pic and thinking "That's Tern Lake. Gotta' be taken by an Alaskan"--and it was. We used to camp there when I was a kid.
Glad you're enjoying the place, and I look forward to more of your awesome photos and commentary.
All the best,
Eric
Eric,

Thanks. When I saw the lake driving by I had to stop and shoot a few photos, really happy with how it turned out. So far I have been enjoying my time here. Tuesday I am going to hike up to Rabbit Lake and spend the night. Was planning on bringing an EM1, 75-300 and 7.5 but my pack with everything (including food/water) but camera gear is sitting right at 30lbs. I picked it up and was shit, this thing is light. My photography backpack is typically around 40lbs for my day trips (that does include EM1 x2, 300/4, 150/2, 7.5, 14-54 plus tripods and such. So a 30lb pack for me is super light. Now thinking I will bring the 300/4 and leave the 75-300 behind.

Still need to write up my Denali trip.

Ronnie

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Beautiful photos and nice story of your camping trip. I always love your images! Keep them coming 🙂 . .... I guess the lesson learned is to always pack the Little Tuna, lol :) . ... Can't wait to see your Denali shots soon.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the photos. I really should have brought it, was car camping so no reason not to.......next time it will be with me. I posted a few of the photos in the monthly photo thread, will try to get the post up this week.

Bristolero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eric,

Thanks. When I saw the lake driving by I had to stop and shoot a few photos, really happy with how it turned out. So far I have been enjoying my time here. Tuesday I am going to hike up to Rabbit Lake and spend the night. Was planning on bringing an EM1, 75-300 and 7.5 but my pack with everything (including food/water) but camera gear is sitting right at 30lbs. I picked it up and was shit, this thing is light. My photography backpack is typically around 40lbs for my day trips (that does include EM1 x2, 300/4, 150/2, 7.5, 14-54 plus tripods and such. So a 30lb pack for me is super light. Now thinking I will bring the 300/4 and leave the 75-300 behind.

Still need to write up my Denali trip.

Ronnie
Ronnie,
Great thread and am as usual, really impressed with your skills behind the viewfinder and keyboard. Your response really reminded me of a Dall Sheep backpack hunt I went on a couple years ago. I had my sleeping bag, pad, tent, cooker, pot, etc. + all my hunting gear: rifle, binocs, swaro spotting scope, knives, etc. + my photog gear: E-M1, O 45, 300 f4. Talk about weighed down! Makes me wish I hadn't sold my 75-300.
The last--and only time--I spent on Rabbit Lake was during the first Jr. Iditarod race in 1979. We mushers ran from Knik Lake to Rabbit Lake, spent the night, and raced back to Knik Lake the next day. I spent the night on the frozen lake sleeping in my sled. Saw no bears.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Ronnie,
Great thread and am as usual, really impressed with your skills behind the viewfinder and keyboard. Your response really reminded me of a Dall Sheep backpack hunt I went on a couple years ago. I had my sleeping bag, pad, tent, cooker, pot, etc. + all my hunting gear: rifle, binocs, swaro spotting scope, knives, etc. + my photog gear: E-M1, O 45, 300 f4. Talk about weighed down! Makes me wish I hadn't sold my 75-300.
The last--and only time--I spent on Rabbit Lake was during the first Jr. Iditarod race in 1979. We mushers ran from Knik Lake to Rabbit Lake, spent the night, and raced back to Knik Lake the next day. I spent the night on the frozen lake sleeping in my sled. Saw no bears.
Thank you, greatly appreciated.

I have almost sold or given my 75-300 away so many times the last few years. Now that I have moved to Anchorage I am so glad I kept it for my daily bike rides. You never known what you will see while riding/walking in any of the local parks. I do take my 300/4 on the bike, but those trips are specifically for photography. But on my daily fitness rides the 300/4 is just a bit much to have along. But the 75-300 with my old beat up EM5 are the perfect daily ride setup, plus I don't mind if something happens to them.

Well my hike plans have changed. Rabbit Lake is still frozen over and I really want to camp next to liquid water. Now I am going to hike up the South Fork Eagle River to Eagle Lake and Symphony Lake. Looking at the maps there are a few small lakes farther up the valley to the south, which is where I am hoping to camp at. Current plan is to start early (6am or so), get camp setup and still have 8 hours or so to explore the area.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom