Paper finish: what's your preference for wildlife/landscape?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by popcan, Mar 30, 2016.

1. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Does a specific photo paper finish lend itself better generally for wildlife and landscape pictures? (i.e. matte vs gloss, or?).....Or do you make a seperate decision based on each individual picture?
    I'm just getting into producing my own prints, and finding out there's a TON to learn about it! Got a color meter to calibrate my monitor, printer on the way, and now looking at paper choices.
    Hoping some of you experienced printers can offer some sage advice!
  2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    My favorite paper was the kind that came free with my printer. ;)

But I got a bunch of semi gloss and one big ream of "Pro Lustre." They look good to me, but I've never used anything else so what would I know.

Ha, just wanting to follow this thread, was thinking of experimenting with some metallic paper but don't know how cheesy it would look . . .
  3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Im trying red river paper since its a bit cheaper and have icc profiles. Ordered - maybe arrive next week. I can report back. So far i like epson premium gloss best
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I generally go for a gloss finish for the deeper blacks however I've also had good results with warm tone matte paper, it really depends on the image.
  5. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Usually if I'm printing it's going in a frame behind glass. In that case I prefer matte. A lot of times I settle on lustre if I can't print at home. Gloss under glass is kind of weird IMO.