Paper choice for inkjet printing

Discussion in 'Printing' started by hanzo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I'm currently using cotton based fine art paper for printing.
    Just curious what are other people using / prefer and what kind of picture you are printing.

2. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I'm relatively new to printing digitally. I have an Epson 3880 since a week. I ordered Ilford Galerie pearl and Gold Fiber Silk as the first papers. Impressive colors and blackness. The blackness on these semi-gloss papers seems to be higher than glossy chemical paper. Still need to try a glossy paper on the inkjet, though.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm using the glossy paper but I'm willing to try RC next time. the problems I've found with glossy paper is that it gets scratched, and colour is rendered differently with different brands so I guess RC should be better.

4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I think IGFS is one of the most referred paper in the printing industry :biggrin:
    Wonderful result with slight warm tone.. its a bit expensive though

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Depends. I am using a cheap photo glossy paper, a glossy Baryta fiber (which is really nice), and an enhanced adhesive matte.

6. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Another vote for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which I've been using almost exclusively since it came out (on an Epson 3800 printer). It produces beautiful prints in both color and B&W. The overall feel of B&W prints on the paper is quite similar to traditional darkroom prints on warm tone, air-dried fiber papers (except that the prints I can make digitally are much sharper, more detailed, and have better blacks and tonality than anything I could ever achieve in the darkroom). The canned Ilford profiles are even pretty good. While the paper is expensive compared to cheap glossy photo papers, it's much less costly than some of the competing baryta papers. My philosophy on this stuff (borrowed from my darkroom days) is to find a good set of materials learn it well and then stick with it. That's what I've done with IGFS and the Epson 3800, and I've been very happy with the results.

7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

The price notwithstanding, I felt I had to give IGFS a try. I hoped it would have the same appearance as Ilford Multigrade FB (silver halide baryta B&W paper). It is more matte than FB though, and blue tones are a bit undersaturated when using the Ilford color profile for the 3880. It almost oozes "class", and my first reaction was to look for print profiling equipment to correct the blue. But gave the pearl paper a test first. This paper prints with better color fidelity with the canned profile, so I decided to stick with that for the time and the next purchase was a box of A2 sized pearl paper. Looks great on the wall.

8. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    For B&W I like Canson fibre platine.

Steve

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I answered semi-gloss, but the real answer is it depends on the print. Some shots will look great on full gloss, some on matte, some on metallic, and so on. There's really no right answer. Check out the printing forum on DPR (which is much better behaved than the m43 forum there), or on Luminous Landscape, and you can learn a lot about different papers, and why people like or dislike them.

There are lots of wrong answers, though.

10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Thanks for all the replies.. I'm still pondering what draws me to matte paper. There is this thing that I still cannot put my finger on :)

11. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Try the Canson Baryta paper. It's very close to IGFS but considerable less expensive. For 25 17x22 sheets, it's around $82 compared to $139 for IGFS.

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    You guys are making me wish I wasn't such a complete amateur in printing matters..I find it far trickier than actually producing and adjusting the photos. :(

13. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    You gotta start somewhere :smile:
    Don't worry I'm an amateur too.. hopefully tonight I can print one or two prints after a few weeks pause

14. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I do think that part of your choices may depend on the printer you are using - whether you are selling the prints or not and who the potential buyers or viewers may be - and of course personal preference to paper surfaces.

Many feel that the glossy paper resembles one hour labs too much and so don't like to use it. If you sell prints to clients for wall display, they may object to the extra glare of glossy paper when framed and hung.

A lot of photographers like Luster papers because it resembled traditional prints more. The porblem for me is that I was never a fan of "E" surface Kodak papers that had a similar beaded look, and always printed my work on "N" surface paper.

The paper that most closely looks like "N" surface paper in my view, is Epson Premium Semi-Gloss. It is a wonderful surface and weight. One reason that years ago I stopped using it for the most part, is that when I printed with my then Epson 2200 pigment ink printer, the gloss differential was substantial and my clients didn't like the look. With that printer I wasn't able to use Glossy paper and the only option for my pro work was Luster. This was when I started using Ilford Gallerie luster paper because it was a bit heavier in weight than the Espon Luster and did not contain the writing on the back of the paper that identified the print with inject printing (a big issue in the early 2000's).

All of the paper surfaces (Glossy, Luster, Premium Semi-Gloss) will look great with a dye based printer though.

I now am using a recently Epson R2000 with the extra gloss ink and so tend to use Glossy and Luster papers most. I do intend to try Premium Semi Gloss again because I really do love that paper surface.

I have printed several times on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Papers and have achieved some nice prints from more artistic subject matter. But truthfully, I have just never been a mat paper fan - - - just looks too much like normal writing paper to me. I have heard of some of the new Gloss surface heavy weight Fiber Base papers and would love to see if the results work into my portrait printing.

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well...the key word is "most"; "Most" of my prints are what I call 'refrigerator prints'.

They're 4x6 or 5x7 glossy prints of kids or grand kids. Pleases the wife, meaning I can get an occasional fix for gear acquisition system.

Sometimes ya just gotta play to the crowd. :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  16. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    With my Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 I've just started using Inkpress Luster and have been quite pleased with the color reproduction. I'm even happy with the acclaimed "mediocre" B&W performance from the printer on this paper.