Pany GX2 w/built-in EVF - this looks sweet!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by DHart, May 21, 2013.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    THAT might bring me over to the Panny side. That does look sweet!
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree. As much as I love my OMD, the practically of the EVF On the left of the body is hard to argue against.
  3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  4. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona

lenshoarder... my intention was not to inspire confidence, as there are no guarantees at this point about precisely what the camera will be. I'm just excited about what looks to be a reasonably good possibility.

If it's done similarly to the mock up and nicely spec'd (which I might speculate is more likely than not)... I'll be in for one for sure. :) Panasonic has built a very similarly designed camera in the past; it's not unlikely that they would create something quite similar to this.

I've been wanting a m4/3 body like this since my beginning with the format, with my GF1, in 2009.
  6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    [Sigh] This is what Olympus SHOULD have done with the E-P5. As a poster over there said -- it may steal some E-P5 sales and it should. It's actually cheaper than the E-P5 and gives you more.

As I've said: Olympus ego seems to have been driving the E-P5 design more than customer desires.
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Yeah, if this pans out I'd definitely replace my GX1 with one sooner or later. I love the GX1 and my only complaint build-wise is the hotshoe EVF being a little awkward. We'll see, people have been guessing and hoping for this from the GX2 for ages, I just hope Panasonic doesn't disappoint!
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Not with a tiny LF1 like viewfinder I hope. With a built-in VF the GX2 will most likely grow larger in size (that's the trend with Panasonic now anyways). I'm looking at my G5 right now, it's rather small for a DSLR form camera. I would imagine the GX2 to be of a similar size to the G5. Looking at it there really isn't much space to take out if you want a full size viewfinder and a same size screen.

Hopefully the GX2 will bring more to the table than just a viewfinder to the left and a square body.
  9. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    spatulaboy... I'd be fine with it if it grows slightly larger than the GX1. G5 size, generally, is very nice.

I love the speculated form factor (no hump, no awkward add-on EVF). I don't need it to be absolutely miniature! :smile:

It's nice to have an option (GF..) for a very small body in the m4/3 system... but in addition to that, ergonomics, feature set, and ease of use dictate not building bodies that are not as small as can possibly be built. (That's a bad trend, beyond a point.)

A camera can only go "so small" and still remain well-appointed, grasp/fit in the hands well, and be easy for human hands to work the controls comfortably.

As for Olympus, while I tend to prefer Pany bodies generally for a variety of reasons, I do gravitate toward Olympus due to the IBIS. That said, I'd buy (and probably LOVE) the GX2... in a heartbeat, if it is similar to the speculated design and spec!
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    This might be my ticket to pair with the GH3. :biggrin:
  11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    If only Fuji would do something like this. :p
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Agreed! If only Fuji would make a classic rangefinder style body, with a great ecosystem of lenses and super fast, reliable AF. :wink:

(I say this as a Fuji shooter - I kid because I love :biggrin:)
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well, it would be great if this rumor turns out to be true. But, right now, I'm not going to hold my breath. Re: Fuji - all they need to do is get that auto-focus up to speed and they're golden.
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The GX needs some kind of articulated screen.
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Absolutely! Lacking that would be quite unfortunate.
  16. digi2ap

digi2ap Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    Well I prefer the fixed screen and tilting add on viewfinder. However I seem to be in the minority. :)
  17. trip35

trip35 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2011
    So we are at least two here:)

And here goes yet another extravaganza: If the viewfinder has to be built in, I do definitely prefer it to be in the middle of the body. This because I am 'left-eyed' - that is, I do always use my left eye to peep and focus. Not sure if I could do this properly with my right eye at all.
    And if my left eye is looking though a viewfinder on the left of the camera body, it is of course my nose that gets in conflict with the screen. So that the notion of a touch-screen just gets a subtly different touch...

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    That looks really sweet...

The only thing now is none of my lenses are stabilized. :frown:
  19. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I tend to say the same thing, then remind myself I shot with unstabilzed lenses for like 30 years, lol.

It still can be done and with these fast primes I don't think it's anything to be too afraid of unless you're shooting static subjects in super low light. If you're shooting moving subjects, you often have to crank up the shutter speed anyway. Stabilzation is a great tool to have when you need it -- but you don't always need it.