1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pany g2 or e-pl1 with vf-3 ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by skubaman, Apr 20, 2012.

1. skubaman

skubaman  

Mar 27, 2012
    Charlotte, N.C.
    I have a chance to pick up either of these two camera's for the same price. Which one do you guy's suggest? I use allot of legacy lenses by the way.

e-pl1 withvf-3 (no lens) - $290
    panasonic g2 w/kit lens- like new $299

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get the E-PL1 with VF-3, because both these bodies are out-dated already but the VF-3 is not. If you ever upgrade to a newer PEN body, you will always have the viewfinder and won't have to re-purchase. Like buying a good flash or a good lens. ;)

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For legacy lenses, I think you'll find the G2's handling make more sense - control dials, buttons, a grip - as does its better EVF. The fact that it comes with a kit lens is a nice little bonus.

DH

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    On the other hand, you will have the excellent ibis with your legacy lenses, and the control function of the zoom in button works surprisingly well for the epl1. I used to love shooting legacy lenses on my epl1 compared to my old panny g1.

5. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    +1

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Not even a close call. Get the G2. You also get a kit lens with it, which also is not outdated, so it's not the same price at all. Plus, the G2 isn't outdated, as it takes the same image quality photos as all of the newer PENs. It doesn't have any shortcomings with regards to operational speed or controls, unlike the E-PL1. The controls, EVF, grip, larger battery, and flipout screen should make it a no-brainer.

7. skubaman

skubaman  

Mar 27, 2012
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Thanks for comments, I just purchased the g2..$299 w/ kit lens and full warranty. I love Olympus, but just wanted to try a pany. I am curious how this will handle without IBIS? with the legacy 50's and 55's.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've never had an issue with lack of image stabilization. You can see that I use adapted lenses much longer than you, although I also have my 50mm f/1.4 and 55mm macro. I also use the Olympus 40-150mm on my G2, and have never really wished that I had image stabilization there either. It would be nice to have, and I wouldn't turn it down, but it's low enough on my list of features that it isn't a problem.

9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I have the EPL1 and VF3 combo. I would buy it instead of the G2.

The benefits of the EPL1,

IBIS with all lenses including support for lenses down to 8mm.

Off camera flash support

Olympus Jpegs and processing,

Modular design, can upgrade to a vf2 or vf4 if it comes out.

Smaller

Cheaper third party batteries, I got two for 10 dollars and a camera strap

Weak AA filter makes for pretty sharp images

vf3 tilts, better for macro focusing.

People will think its an old fashion camera, less intimidating.

The Cons of EPL1

With larger telephoto lenses, it doesn't balance that well.

No scrolling wheel, not so bad with manual focus lenses with aperture on the lens.

not so good AF, not a big deal when dealing with manual focus lenses

battery life is not so great with the VF3

loud shutter. louder than my D7000.

Not so great at high iso.

VF3 resolution is not that great, sometimes yearn for more resolution especially for manual focus.

But you can always upgrade the EVF to a better one later.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think the G2 is a much better camera than the E-PL1 (and I used the E-PL1+VF2 combo for almost a year). The handling of the G2 is miles better. It's handling is better than the E-P3 for that matter and the IQ is easily on a par with any of the Olympus PEN cameras and despite the lack of IBIS on the G2 it is IMHO a much better body for legacy glass than the PENs because of the stability and handling of the body. Also the built-in EVF on the G2 is higher resolution than the VF3 and I find the flip out screen to be enormously useful.

I'm seeing used G2 going for right around $200...the VF3 is almost three quarters of that all by itself.

11. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I have a Nikkor 55 3.5 and the 50 1.8.

The IBIS helps quite a bit. You'll need around 1/100 to keep from camera shake for non IBIS bodies.

With a 55 3.5, I find I can go down to about 1/15 and get acceptable results.

With a 20 1.7, I can hand hold down to 1/5 or so.

Although my D7000 has much better high iso, i prefer the portability of the EPL1 if nothing is moving.

I don't think a pseudo slr is worth getting especially since a Canon Rebel isn't much bigger than the G2 and you won't benefit from the smaller lenses.

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Eh, to each his own. The E-PL1 is still larger than any of my pockets, especially with a lens (or more likely, 2-3 that I have with me), so the increased size of a grip and fixed viewfinder doesn't make the overall system any noticeably larger or heavier. The point of this system is to adapt lenses with full live view, which a Rebel was not designed for. You lose the viewfinder with a Rebel. Plus, it depends on what you call "much bigger." Here's a GH2 (which is essentially the same size as a G2) next to a T3i, to me that qualifies as "much bigger."
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/26699472]GH2 vs T3i Fisheye Comparison on Vimeo[/ame]
    And a G2 vs GH2 size comparison here:
    Panasonic DMC-GH2 Review: Digital Photography Review

And again, I don't find image stabilization to be especially useful. I'm not much of a shoot-on-the-very-edge-of-handholdability kind of guy. I'll just open a window, or turn on a light. If I'm in the habit of shooting at 1/5 second, I'd just as soon use a bean bag stabilizer or a tabletop tripod, which gives exponentially sharper results than image stabilization.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    G2 anyday, what happened before IS ?, did we all have blurred images!!!

14. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I can fit a PL1 and 20 1.7 in one jacket pocket and the 55 3.5 in a separate jacket pocket.

It depends if you are trying to go minimal. I'm not going to be bringing a beanbag with me at all times, nor a mini tripod.

And if I am bringing all that other stuff. I'll bring my D7000

Sometimes I want to go Pancake and Body, sometimes Body, EVF. Macro. The Pen offers more choices.

15. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    People carried their cameras on yak carts with at least 2 Sherpas and a full time grad student as an assistant.

16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well there's your problem right there. I'm from Texas, I usually don't wear jackets. And when I do, I don't pack them full of supplies like a puffalump. I just carry a messenger bag like this:3 Million Dollar Home
    My D200 with 2-3 lenses doesn't fit into one of those, and neither will your D7000 with a cache of lenses. If I want pocketable, I have a point and shoot. And if I'm going minimal, it's not somewhere that I'll be in the habit of shooting 1/2 second exposures.

17. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I'm in Seattle so 300 days out of the year it is dark.

My D7k fits in a Domke FX5a. I can also fit a 70-300 if both are unmounted or 35 1.8 and a SB700 flash, or 2 to 3 manual focuses lenses and the body.

But if I'm going to be carrying a bag anyway, I prefer to carry a bag that fits my iPad. So I use a Timbuk2 Freestyle bag.

So if I need to carry a bag, for all intents and purposes a G2 or a Nikon DSLR is the same size.

18. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been Olympus and Panasonic m43 cameras for past few years and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times IBIS has been relevant to my needs. I see a lot of folks talk about how great it is (and who am I to disagree with their experience?) but I do not find it something that adds enough value to a camera that I would make a choice to use one over the other. Where the G2 shines is handling. It is a superb camera to use. It's comfortable and everything is where you expect it to be. It balances well with larger lenses (which none of my PENs do as well) and the IQ is every bit as good.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6912261328/" title="White Riot by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6912261328_581a358d59_b. "1024" height="684" alt="White Riot"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6897223578/" title="Finally by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6897223578_97a40757ec_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Finally"></a>

These are both OOC JPEGs and I don't think the color is very bit as good as what my E-P1 and E-P3 produces.

19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

:rofl:
    Awesome response.