Pany 45-200 lens on an OMD, anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by asaulo1, May 11, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I saw that this lens is on sale at Amazon for $189.00 Anybody have used this particular combo? I was leaning towards the Oly 40-150 but it's $249 and the pany will have the extra reach.... Just wanted to see if anyone has actually used the pany with the OMD and how well it works. Thanks.
  2. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I have one, have not tried it on the OM-D yet, it is an Ok lens nothing special, works well to about 160 then starts to fall apart on the way out to 180
  3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Search the forum for info on the 45-200, falling apart is a bit harsh, I have managed some great shots at full focal length as have many others who have posted up in here, the old adage of the photographer being more important than the equipment comes to mind...:tongue:
  4. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
  5. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    i would keep watching it .it's down to $186.27 .last weekend it was around $177.00 free ship. then after some sold the price went back to $199.00 sunday morning.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    it's a killer lens (for the price). It does get a bit soft at the long end (for pixel peepers), but for everyday use, it's a great lens. I rarely travel without it. Until someone puts out a 200mm prime (not looking likely), I'll always have this around. If you justify the extra cash, the Panasonic 100-300 is worth the extra dough, but if you don't shoot much at the long end, you could keep the extra $400 in your wallet.
  7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    just got it last week to go with my OM-D. Very pleased with the optical quality, especially considering the price.

Have not used it in marginal lighting conditions so i do not know how it will hold up there.

These were just playing around by the pool at my daughter's swim practice. Very little if any post process, other than a crop or two. The tighter shot is at 200 at 5.6, missed the focus slightly on the eyes but still looks pretty good to me.

For $199 or less, go for it.
  8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I have one and a E-M5. I needed the length when shooting one day and ended up buying Dukes here in the FS section tha same day. Good build, IOS, and comes in handy when I need the reach.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For the price, it's a great lens just to have in the bag. If you can swing it though, the 45-175 OIS is a better lens on the OM-D. If you look hard enough, they've popped up under $300. It's worth the extra cost due to the small fixed size and better contrast/sharpness across it's zoom range.

Oh yeah, the 45-20 at 200mm it's a little soft, but stop down even to f/6.3 and it sharpens up quite nicely. So it's not a biggie.

Here's a couple samples of the 45-200 and E-M5:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

Does pretty good macro too with a Raynox 150 fitted........
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I like the 45-200. Reasonably priced, effective OIS (not that an OMD owner would need it), and decent optics for the price point. Works well as a portrait lens at 45mm. At 200mm, it's a little soft, but sharpens up at f8.
  12. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Having IS active in both the body and the lens doesn't sound like a great idea to me in case they start working against each other or the camera gets confused if either of those is possible - do folk who use this lens disable one or the other or leave both on? If the latter, are there any funny or unexpected behaviours?
  13. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have allways understood this to be the case as they fight each other, although I have never tried it, can't see the point.

As IBIS is suposed to be superior to ILIS, I'd turn off the ILIS.

Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs :smile: but it is well known that all IS be switched off when the camera is on a tripod.
  14. robsonj

robsonj Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Awsome lens, saved me at the weekend when the woman with the 'big DSLR' didn't know how to get a sharp shot out of her camera...

• Like Like x 1
  15. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Actually, I think it's generally the opposite--optical stabilization is touted as superior. Not all IS systems are built equally though, and the E-M5's is supposedly quite good. Contrarily, I have found the 45-200mm OIS to be rather slow to react and requires a short pause after focusing to really stabilize well. Only way to know for sure is to do some testing, but I'd place my money on the E-M5 for this one.