Pany 45-150 vs. 45-175X (MTF charts)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kevwilfoto, Aug 5, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    (A pointless mental exercise here, I admit - venting off anxiety while I hope for the rumored Oly 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 sealed lens to exist.)

Is the 45-150 going to be noticeably sharper than the 45-175?

45-175 MTF chart
    [​IMG]

45-150 MTF chart
    [​IMG]

I'm no MTF chart expert, but I think this suggests the corners are sharper and contrast is better. Am I reading that right?

I like my 45-175 and normally wouldn't think of swapping it out for something so similar, but smaller AND lighter AND sharper is an enticing idea. I am looking forward to some actual reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    it's not smaller, remember NO internal zooming on 45-150. Plus it's thicker with 52mm filter thread vs 46mm and no power zoom option (great for video).

3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    45-175 is 90mm long and 210g, 45-150 is 73mm long and 200g. It is considerably shorter than any of the other lenses in this range: https://www.mu-43.com/f92/new-panasonic-45-150mm-f-4-5-6-leaked-29502/ Yes the 45-150 is fatter, but by length and weight it is smaller.

Not gonna cry over that one bit, power zoom just drains the battery faster.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I think Art's point was that the 40-150 nearly doubles in length in use, fully extended.

My policy is to not change things up unless what I currently have is disappointing me. So if you're unhappy with your current lens, by all means move on. Can you rent it locally to see what you think? Charts are one thing...real life is another.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The MTFs definitely look better for the new lens. We don't have an MTF for the 175mm lens at 150mm though.

The new lens is considerable smaller as far as I am concerned, although internal zooming is a charming characteristic for a lens to have.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    exactly, it's gonna be much larger when in use. Not only longer but also noticeably thicker. While PZ is not a very important feature, internal zooming is rather critical for such telephoto lens especially if you wanna double it as macro (with close up lens). Plus, you get 25mm extra (eq. 50mm) at the long end. But if the price for the new 45-150 is over $100 lower than it would definitely be a better value considering same or better optics.

7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I definitely think the 45-150 (sorry, called it 40 in my previous post) is worthy of consideration if one is looking for a cheap zoom...but I won't be selling my 45-175 for it unless it does something spectacularly better.

8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Question, to those of you to whom it matters, why the fuss over internal zoom(other than for macro)? Sincere question, am curious.

I think many if not most of us care about storage size, which would be my reason for considering this lens.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    good question...I honestly have no idea why I prefer it...partially, I guess, because I find extending barrels on cheaper zooms to feel flimsy (sometimes)...zoom creep...aesthetics...etc.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, could it really be?? the fancy X zoom with fancy coatings and stuff not as good as the lowly kit? that would be a bummer, since I just got the X zoom :mad:

There's one other advantage of the non-extending power zoom - it can memorize the focal length where you left off and when camera is powered back up you will get exact same focal length without needing to set it manually. Also it shows the focal length in the viewfinder/LCD. Do the regular zooms do that? I don't even know. Anybody know? :smile:

11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Regular zooms show the focal length too on the LCD screen afaik on the m43 bodies I have and the zoom lenses I had.

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    my 45-175 resets itself to the default 45mm position every time it's powered off (on E-PM1)

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Huh. I must be thinking of the 14-42 X zoom. It can definitely do the memory thing. I actually don't really remember if 45-175 does it now. There's a special menu for the X lenses on my GX1 , so it's possible it's a Panasonic - only feature? :redface: