Pany 25mm vs Pany 20mm

dino8031

Mu-43 Regular
The 20mm was one of the first lenses I bought when I switched from Canon to m4/3. I love the IQ and especially love the FL which seems to work very well for me.
I've owned two copies of the 25 and sold both of them. It's faster focusing then the 20 by a long shot but I just didn't love the focal length, size and IQ compared to the 20mm, at least not at roughly twice the cost.
I think the 20mm is an absolute gem for the m4/3 system.

The OP is going to hear a lot of differing opinions on these two lenses as the topic has been beat to death. All I can tell you is to get both, try them each out for a reasonable period of time and decide for yourself.
Good luck.

I do have to agree with REVBOB that the 45 is the reall killer in the lineup. It is one amazing lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I have got them both and I usually end up taking the 25mm Leica and the 20mm stays home. If you need to keep it in your pocket the 20mm is my go to lens. Works great with flash wide open. You get a little chromatic aberration with both with Olympus cameras. Strange purple spots on low light. See example of low light pic. with epl-5 . Also on small camera Leica lens gives you something to hold on to.

xdayv

Color Blind
Real Name
Dave
I have said this before - I think the 20mm and 25mm can co-exist (if budget is not a factor) -- a 40mm pancake and a 50mm standard fast lens.

If I have to choose one, I'll get the 20mm 1.7. Not that 20mm is superior to the 25mm, they are both strong lenses in the Micro 4/3s system and each one brings out their own advantages to the table.

Real Name
Nic
If I go through my processed images folders (as seen here) and rank my top four Micro 4/3 lenses by use, the 25mm comes out a long way in front, the 9-18mm and 14-140mm in a virtual tie for second, and the 20mm a bit further back in fourth. Based on those figures I obviously get more use out of the 25mm even though I have had it for less time than the others. I still love the 20mm for its sharpness and wider angle of view but I think that besides the slower AF and having the option to use the 25mm instead, another reason for why I stopped using it as much is because I have migrated to the larger bodies of the GH1 and E-M5 and the 20mm does not feel as balanced on those. That might also explain my lack of use of the 14mm pancake as well. The great thing about the 14mm and 20mm pancakes is that it is an easy decision to bring them along just in case since they hardly take up any room.

Alseal

New to Mu-43
20 is much more portable than 25, however 25 is faster + better bokeh, the choice is yours

WT21

Super Moderator
I am sure it was already discussed before but I would appreciate advice making the final decision. I already have Olympus 9-18, Pany 45 and 14-140. Waiting fo my e-m5 with 12-50 kit. So need help choosing 20 or 25 to use or low light indoor situations. Disregarding the price difference and size, which one would you choose based on performance
PL25 if you don't care about price or size. It's a no brainer, IMO. The P20's strength are -- price and size! lol.

edit -- just noticed this is a thread from last April!

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
PL25 if you don't care about price or size. It's a no brainer, IMO. The P20's strength are -- price and size! lol.

edit -- just noticed this is a thread from last April!
No no no, my lens is better than yours :)

rolling green

Mu-43 Regular
had the 20 for my ep1 and the 25 for the em-5. sold the ep1 so I was stuck with choosing one lens or the other. Chose the 25 as it fits and feels much much better on the em-5. It feels like it was made for the em-5 as far as balance and weight. The 25 has never let me down, low light fast auto focus, great images and solid solid feel which for some reason is important to me.

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ditto

I also feel the 25 balances better on the E-M5. I did a trial rental of the E-M5 and the 20/1.7 - felt the lens was too small, but loved the images. Now that I own an E-M5 and 25/1.4 I'm glad I chose it; it seems easier to handle and I do prefer the images for that look. Also lower light and faster focusing are nice.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here's an odd question. Yes, the OMD with a 45/1.8 or the 12/2.0 are in my future. But for now I need a pocket-sized camera that will be with me. So that's the PM2 with a 20mm or 14mm. OR, however, I've been seeing images that lead me to think that Olympus's XZ-2 may be sharper at both focal lengths at low ISOs.

Any of you numerous 20mm owners have any comparisons of those cameras? XZ-2 is better all around even a XZ-1 vs 20mm/1.7 would be great!

oly18

Mu-43 Regular
I have both and kept both. If I had to choose, I would say the 25mm. Optics are a bit better and its faster, 1.4 vs. 1.7 (every bit counts).

That being said, the 20mm pancake is great on a pen, but since you have the OMD, the 25 would balance fine.

oly18

Mu-43 Regular
I should add I also have the 4/3 25mm. It is better optically than either micro 4/3 25 or 20. Too bad it weighs quite alot for a 25mm prime lens. Does not balance well even with OMD and grip.

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
So I pulled the trigger on a P25. the thing is great!. BUT, i believe theres tons of "marketing" and "over hype" around this little guy.

Is it better than the P20 in terms of IQ, NO. is not. Its equal. or maybe even softer around the edges.

I believe this P25 is some sort of a "P20 mkII repackaged".

They share the following,

Everything is plastic. so thats the same.
Same filter thread.

whats different,

Different FOV and because of that extra 5mm (10mm equiv) we feel that "3d pop" some have said of the P25. which is obvious from a "longer" lens that compresses backgrounds. right?.

Ive never owned or played with a Leica before (camera nor lens), but im not even lusting for one either so i cant compare. But theres is a reason in photography, and also behind all the hype around Leicas, on why they cost thousands of dollars. And in the P25 case, i believe is just a "marketing" thing to keep the price and make it worth $500-600 bucks for some, or in my case living in a overpriced island named NZ, paid over $700 as a "deal".

Im I saying that the P25 is a bad lens?, no, not at all. The lens delivers awesome stuff, but so does the P20. I believe is a "new p20 repackaged" more than anything else.

Does this lens deliver?, yes, big time. awesome IQ.

Is it faster to AF than the P20, yes it is. In good light. BUT, at low light or night, even-though this one can "see", it hunts as much as the P20. at least my copy.

Mine rattlesnakes only some times. actually it doesn't as ive read everywhere.

Is big and bulky for a m43 lens. no questions. actually is as big as a FF "nifty fifty".

so now that ive own both, which one would I take?. not sure, i believe that ill keep the P25 as a FOV preference more than anything else. I believe that is a bit overpriced though, or maybe the magnificent P20 is getting underrated for some weird internet-reason, so if money is an issue, get the P20 hands down.

But if not, and you like more "bokelicious" backgrounds and subject isolation, get the P25.

Both lenses are stunning!. And no, i dont believe the P25 is "better" than the P20. but then again thats me and this is my $0.000002 cents after owning both.

haupau

Mu-43 Rookie
here is my 2 cents about 20mm vs 25
i have read every post 20 vs 25 on internet boards before buying. So i had both for about 2months, sold 25mm because i prefer 20mm for 3 main reasons, 1.) FOV, more versatile- imo 2.) closer focus capability, 3.) portabilty. One more thing, if you pair with oly 45mm, it is excellent. 45mm for close up portrait and 20mm for environment portrait. 25mm is a little too tight for environmental imo.

rolling green

Mu-43 Regular
here is my 2 cents about 20mm vs 25
i have read every post 20 vs 25 on internet boards before buying. So i had both for about 2months, sold 25mm because i prefer 20mm for 3 main reasons, 1.) FOV, more versatile- imo 2.) closer focus capability, 3.) portabilty. One more thing, if you pair with oly 45mm, it is excellent. 45mm for close up portrait and 20mm for environment portrait. 25mm is a little too tight for environmental imo.
I can agree but everything you listed is personal preference. for some the faster focus speed of the 25 makes ALL the difference. I tried the 20 this past weekend at a chucky cheese party and can say I missed a lot of shots.
I welcome the size of the 25 as it feels more balanced on the OM-D. Here are my reasons
why I choose the 25: 1) FOV is better suited for my personal indoor shots 2) faster focus speeds in low lighting and 3) perfect size to balance the OM-D. Currently waiting for a 14mm and 45mm that's in the mail. I think I'm going to like the 14,25,45 trio better than a 14,20,45.
If I still had my EP1 I would probably choose the 20 for the size factor but since I sold it off the 25 stays. Both are very nice and it's nice to have options for different needs.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I'm on the Pen3 and I have to say, I sold the 20mm today to a forum member. 4th time I did that. The 25 is the lens after the 14mm. I'm lucky cause I come from the dayz when Nikon's weighed in at around 4 lbs with a 50 1.4.

The thing about the 25 is the CONTRAST. That's the magic with all Leica glass, always was. The 20 is good but lacks the contrast of the 25. I had this 25mm lens for a year and didn't even have a body for it. I left m43 because I was burned out on all the gas. Amin told me then that I'd be back and he was right. This lens brought me home.

I got the 25 because I knew it would be a great lens....even on the Pen3...it's a real winner. I'm a Libra so balance is natural for me..... Now that's a funny thing.....

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
After shooting with the 20 for a while (it was my first added lens to the OM-D) as well as faster legacy 50mm lenses, I decided to pull the trigger on the 25. Basically, after talking at length with the friend who turned me on to the OM-D, I decided that the 25 is probably better for low light shooting.

The 20 is a fine lens and under many conditions does an admirable job. However, in low light action shots (I shoot a lot in social dance parties), the focusing is not rock solid with the 20 and my friend who has had both and kept the 25, suggested that the 25 was the way to go.

I will see how it works out. I found a used-like new in Amazon for $450. That seems like a decent enough deal for now.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hey guys, a follow up question if I may- do you think it's worth it taking for a trip to Europe? I was thinking 20mm would be better because it's wider. Also for food photos 20 is better with its closer focusing distance. I don't plan to be doing any portraits. Yet, I can't help it think that its a shame to have the 25 and not use it. Am I missing any pro 25 points for this particular purpose?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom