1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pany 20mm f1.7 II vs Oly 17mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kriskerry91, Sep 1, 2014.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Now your probably thinking this is a no brainier, as the Pany is newer and has a better maximum aperture.

But, I've been thinking about getting one of either. The pany is only about £80 more so in my eyes worth the extra for the max aperture.

But i'll be using it for street shooting, is the 40mm eq of the Pany too long? Whereas the Oly is 34mm eq which is damn close to standard 35mm.

Any input from owners of both or either?

Any same shots too?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Field of view is a very personal thing. Some people live and die by 35mm others 50mm.

What makes you happy?

I personally shoot with both, and honestly it has little to do with the coverage. It has to do with the way I see the image in my mind, even before I bring the camera up to my eye. It is not unheard of me to be walking around with multiple cameras. I usually like using 3 primes, the Oly 17/1.8, 45/1.8 and on my Nikon Df, I use the 50/1.8D.

Now, IQ wise, not sure if you would be happy with the Oly 17/2.8, especially when compared to the Pany 20. Then you also have to consider that the AF on the Pany is not on par with other primes in similar focal ranges like the Oly 17/1.8 or 45/1.8.

If you have to make a choice between the above 2 you mentioned and price is the driving factor - then I would lean toward the Pany for the IQ.

If price is not a factor, then i would be looking for a gently used Oly 17/1.8

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Oly has great AF.

The Pana is known for poor AF, at least in low light ... Search around on these forums.

I got the Oly and it works great for street.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    You must mean the Oly 17mm f/1.8, I thought the 17mm f/2.8 was pretty average in AF?

The 17mm f/1.8 is probably the ideal street lens with its manual focus scale, although I get on well with the 20mm because it's so compact.

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    17f2.8 AF is not as fast as modern MFT lenses and it does not hunt nor miss like the 20mm. If you get one you must not pixel peek nor compare sharpness directly with anther lens. Just use it for its focal length and expect it to be just a bit sharper than Olympus kit lenses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This response is only complicated because of you owning an EM10. The Panasonic 20mm has a few issues with Olympus bodies in some circumstances (mostly, because it has difficulties finding focus in low light).

Other than that, I'd pick it over the Oly any time. It has a lovely sharp and detailed rendering which IMO is extremely versatile, which I think cannot be said of either of the 17mm Oly lenses, which are pretty nice in some situations and somehow just fall flat in others.

Neither can acquire focus on moving subjects terribly well, you should be aware of that.

7. keith1664

keith1664 New to Mu-43

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm very interested in where you can find the Panny for £80, I was very happy when I found mine for £180.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sorry, yes I misread.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

9. kriskerry91

When you say you would pikc the Oly, is that the 2.8 or 1.8?

Yeah im not too fussed with super quick focus, the main use would be general street shooting.

10. kriskerry91

my bad! Ive edited it, its about £80 more than the 2.8 Oly is what i meant

11. blindinglight

blindinglight Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    Thailand
    Rommel
    I think the reason why the OP decided to compare these two lenses is because of the pancake form factor which makes these lenses ideal for street photography if portability is what you want.

I own the 17mm f2.8 and I'd say if there's enough light, it can be as fast as my 45mm which is known to be one of the fastest primes in MFT. The colored picture of the woman in her running motorcycle was taken while I was also in a moving vehicle (these local vehicles I'm on are called Songtaew here in Thailand and they are open from the back). Speed is not this glass' problem ;). Overall, I'm totally happy with the sharpness if I won't pixel peep. The black and white photo is one of my favorites even if it's not an entirely perfect composition. Although it is no match to my 12-40mm at this focal length, the portability and speed of this little lens makes this an awesome glass for street shooting.

According to reviews, the 20mm is one of the sharpest primes available for us although it's downside is it's AF speed. But I have it in my wish list and is possibly my next purchase. As for all lenses, there are always disadvantages and factors to consider. It's up to you to think which focal length you'd love better for your style of shooting.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

12. kriskerry91

I do love that black and white shot!

Nice photos!

So I've had a look around for price differences etc.

I think the 17mm 1.8 is out of my range (as much as it's a wonderful looking lens).

And I'm on the fence with the 20mm 1.7, not sure if it's really worth the money considering the focus speeds

But now I've come across the Pany 14mm 2.4 which is roughly the same price as the Oly 17mm 2.8

Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  13. blindinglight

blindinglight Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    Thailand
    Rommel
    The 14mm is also a good pick and even though I don't own this, SLRGear mentions that it has almost equal performance as the 17mm f2.8. Personally, I like longer focal lengths for street photography as sometimes I find even the 17mm to be a bit too wide which makes me have to move closer to my subjects. And some people in the street find it off putting if I shove my camera at them :big grin: (funny pic below to illustrate). But if you think you'll like the 14mm focal length, it's also a fine pancake.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Sorry..panny 20mm Smokes the oly 17mm 2.8...no question! I haven't had much problems in way of autofocus...always the same chatter over focus speed of P20 , all lenses have some sort of limitation , Prefocus ..burst shoot... nearly always works for me..but for enviromental...ie street shooting for me P20 hands down wwwaaayyyy better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kriskerry91

I really like that shot! haha

Yeah i'm just thinking maybe 14mm is slightly too wide, being a 28mm eqv.

I'm still swaying towards the Oly for price & performance.

But from what ive seen the Pany 20 is a very sharp lens.

Aaaahhh what to buy!? :biggrin:

I like the 20mm performance in regards to image quality, overall sharpness looks nice. But there are a mixed bag of reviews about focus.

Are you using the 20 on Pany body or Oly?

The Oly seems like it would do just fine in the streets, the Pany has the upper hand in max aperature tho.

16. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Hi
    I have used the P20 on both oly and panny , i wouldnt say there is a difference on either ..regards speed?...for me pop , sharpness and overall rendering matter to me more
    Ok P20 is not blistering fast ...but i dont get it ...surely street shooting / enviro portraits dont need the speed like fast moving sports / BIF...AS Said few times it struggles is low light indoors with my little devil moving around erratically..which would challenge any system...remember the P20 is razor sharp from f1.7...so shoot wide open...f2.8 will still allow motion blur in less than perfect conditions...Trade offs either way , just notice you use a Em10...my P20 banded a few times in low light with the above camera.
    But still every time i come back to M4/3...P20 is my must buy lens ...before any other....it's that nice to me,.
    I cannot say on this system ..but the sigma 19/30mm f2.8 are very highly regarded...on my sony system they were superb!...just a thought

17. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    No, you got me backwards, I said I would pick the Panasonic over the Oly 2.8. I agree with scott2hot.

18. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    As far as the P20 is concerned, if you're not shooting kids, you will wonder what people are talking about with the slow focus. It's not bad at all.
    If you are shooting kids, it's a lesson in frustration. You will want to smash something after a few minutes. Either way, the sharpness and bokeh blows away the Olympus options.

19. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I just noticed that I referred to "shooting kids" twice in my last post. I'm probably flagged in some database somewhere now. Hahaha.

20. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I ultimately solved the dilemma by acquiring all three; the 14mm, 17mm, and 20mm. Not all at once, of course. And I find I use all three.

• Like Like x 1