1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pany 14-45mm vs 14-42mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mqavila, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Hi, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum but for the life of me, I can't find the thread...

I currently have the GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens and was just wondering... what's the difference between this kit lens with the older 14-45mm lens (other than the obvious, i.e., slightly longer zoom, external on/off O.I.S. switch, etc)? Which lens has the better IQ?

Thanks in advance! :) 

2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't have experience with either, but from everything I've been reading, the 14-45 has slightly better IQ and a metal mount compared to the 14-42's plastic mount but most people say it's similar enough that it probably isn't worth paying too much of a premium for the 14-45.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for this. If the consensus will be that the 14-45mm has better IQ, I'm hoping to be able to sell off my 14-42mm for a price similar to what would cost me to acquire a 14-45mm locally. There are several people here in my locality who's selling off their GF1s with 14-45mm kit lens. I'm thinking of getting that and just selling off the GF1 body with my 14-42mm kit lens (or selling these two separately).

More comments would be appreciated. :) 

4. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I haven't used the 14-45, but recently picked up the 14-42 for a good deal. I wanted one of the lenses because I needed something in that range. The feel of the lens is definitely cheaper than the 20mm and 45-200 that I have since it is mainly plastic and its not the smoothest operator, but the focus is very quite and gets the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I haven't used the 14-42, so I can't speak to any comparison with it, but I can say that I am a huge fan of the 14-45. This lens is very well built, very sharp, and is, to me, among the numerous lenses I have for my m4/3 kit, a must have lens. I have no doubt that if you decide to move to the 14-45, you will find the lens a very valued component of your image making gear.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. Maybe someone has the link to an online review/comparison of the two lenses?

7. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

One more question related to this: will the 14-42mm lens work on a GF1, given that this lens no longer has an external on/off switch? When I attach this lens on a GF1, will the menu change to include an option to turn the OIS on or off?

8. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Can anyone point me to an online review/comparison between these two lenses? I currently have a GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens and am practically all set to buy a GF1 with 14-45mm kit lens (at a very reasonable price) if only to get the 14-45mm lens... If the 14-45mm lens is indeed better, then I might turn around and sell the GF1 paired with the 14-42mm lens...

9. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Quite a few reviews exist online, take them all with a pinch of salt.
    But here's a link to dpreview's comparison

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.