1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pany 14-45mm vs 14-42mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mqavila, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Hi, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum but for the life of me, I can't find the thread...

I currently have the GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens and was just wondering... what's the difference between this kit lens with the older 14-45mm lens (other than the obvious, i.e., slightly longer zoom, external on/off O.I.S. switch, etc)? Which lens has the better IQ?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't have experience with either, but from everything I've been reading, the 14-45 has slightly better IQ and a metal mount compared to the 14-42's plastic mount but most people say it's similar enough that it probably isn't worth paying too much of a premium for the 14-45.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for this. If the consensus will be that the 14-45mm has better IQ, I'm hoping to be able to sell off my 14-42mm for a price similar to what would cost me to acquire a 14-45mm locally. There are several people here in my locality who's selling off their GF1s with 14-45mm kit lens. I'm thinking of getting that and just selling off the GF1 body with my 14-42mm kit lens (or selling these two separately).

More comments would be appreciated. :)

4. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I haven't used the 14-45, but recently picked up the 14-42 for a good deal. I wanted one of the lenses because I needed something in that range. The feel of the lens is definitely cheaper than the 20mm and 45-200 that I have since it is mainly plastic and its not the smoothest operator, but the focus is very quite and gets the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I haven't used the 14-42, so I can't speak to any comparison with it, but I can say that I am a huge fan of the 14-45. This lens is very well built, very sharp, and is, to me, among the numerous lenses I have for my m4/3 kit, a must have lens. I have no doubt that if you decide to move to the 14-45, you will find the lens a very valued component of your image making gear.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. Maybe someone has the link to an online review/comparison of the two lenses?

7. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

One more question related to this: will the 14-42mm lens work on a GF1, given that this lens no longer has an external on/off switch? When I attach this lens on a GF1, will the menu change to include an option to turn the OIS on or off?

8. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Can anyone point me to an online review/comparison between these two lenses? I currently have a GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens and am practically all set to buy a GF1 with 14-45mm kit lens (at a very reasonable price) if only to get the 14-45mm lens... If the 14-45mm lens is indeed better, then I might turn around and sell the GF1 paired with the 14-42mm lens...

9. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Quite a few reviews exist online, take them all with a pinch of salt.
    But here's a link to dpreview's comparison

• Like Like x 1