1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pany 14-42 with in lens IS fitted to an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with IBIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have a Pany 14-42 kit lens with inbuilt IS that cannot be turned off, because it has no switch.

How will this lens fair regards IS when fitted to an Olympus OM-D E-M5 that has IBIS.

Will the two IS systems work together or in combination or maybe not at all.

I'm more than happy with it and don't fancy splashing out for the OM-D kit lens, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ, it also has EZ which I don't like.

2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    1st.. no the 2 systems can not work together.

2nd.. you will need to turn off IBIS.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not accurate to say the OIS can't be turned off. On lenses w/o an OIS switch, OIS is turned on and off by the body, via menu options. Everything I've seen on the internet says these lenses default to OIS off when used on Oly bodies, since the body lacks the code to turn it on.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, lenses with no IS switch default to off on Olympus bodies (and there's no way to turn it on), so there's no issue.

In general, OIS and IBIS conflict, so one must be turned off.

DH

5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    That's the best explanation I've heard and now it's clear to me at least so to who it's resolved on Olympus bodies for Lens that don't have an off switch.

So Olympus has code to control the focus mech but not the OIS??? I Wonder why that would be... surely it can not be a significant effort to allow Olympus bodies to work with the OIS.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

Extract from OM-D E-M5 manual re IBIS...........

# Cautions
    • The image stabilizer cannot correct excessive camera shake or camera shake that occurs
    when the shutter speed is set to the slowest speed. In these cases, it is recommended
    that you use a tripod.
    • When using a tripod, set Image Stabilizer] to OFF.
    • When using a lens with an image stabilization function, turn off the image stabilizer
    function of either the lens or the camera.

• You may notice an operating sound or vibration when the image stabilizer is activated.

Would my 14-42 lense with no IS switch default to off on OM-D body.

It seems a very grey area.

Very confused Dave in Wales here.

7. You may need to use trial and error if you get an E-M5; Turn off the IBIS, focus the lens, and see if the lens OIS kicks in (the stabilisation should be visible through the LCD or viewfinder). I suspect the OIS won't work on an Oly body as was surmised in some of the earlier posts, but in the case of the E-M5 the IBIS is quite impressive from the early reports so it would be no bad thing.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. It's easy to tell too - you can actually hear the OIS operating if you listen carefully (when it's on) on an Olympus camera.

DH