1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pany 12-35 vs Oly 12-50

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by briloop, Mar 17, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
  2. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Almost any lens is good for a studio shoot. The extra $$s go towards the ability for background separation and low light capability.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Azon

Azon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    There is a reason for those who doesn't have IBIS or want 2.8...however 12-50 a great lens no doubts.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The 12-50mm has that really nice macro function too. It's really slow, which makes it near useless in lower light situations, especially on any Panasonic body. However, I agree that the price differential $250 compared to $1000 is not justified. Though after discovering the magnified auto focus on the G5 using the 12-35mm just makes me feel happy. BTW, didn't know they grew girls like that in Central Texas...I don't recall any from my time at Fort Hood. Seriously, nice shots. :)

5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Had a look at the images and the lens info.

I am wondering why you would choose f16 and f11 for these shots?

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have to say the 12-50mm is one of the most underated lenses out there. Fabulous bang for buck and the macro fuction is sweet.

The only area where I think it could be better is with manual focus which is difficult in low light - partly due to the small small aperture and also the standard limitation of the fly by wire focus system. A focus ring and scale like the 12mm f/2 would help overcome that problem.

Again, cost em about $240 over the body only price of the OM-D so great value.

BTW, I believe an Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 may be in the the wings. Will be nice to see how that compares.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have both. Apart from the macro function and the longer reach, the 12-35 is superior in every way.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    This shoot was at a studio owned by two photographers. One of them would take test shots then call out which numbers to dial into your camera.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That's funny! :smile: At any time did you have the urge to say "Baaaaa"?

I'll bet it actually had to do more with the lighting that the studio owner had available.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1.

11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I didn't know that the 12-50 could be shot at 2.8. I'll have to get one!

12. What format were the cameras they were using?

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Diffraction effects could really level out the playing field at those apertures. :frown:

14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Yep, even with my Nikon it doesn't really make sense to use f stops smaller than f11. With my EP3 I rarely use anything past f5.6 because that's the equivalent of f11 in a crop model DSLR.

15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Actually, it's the equivalent of f/8 in crop, but f/11 in full frame. It's one stop between us and APS-C, and two between us and full frame.

That being said, I too seldom shoot past f/8!

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    It would be hard to come up with a test less able to highlight the differences between those lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  17. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, I can't see there really being a comparison between a kit lens and what is essentially a pro lens. But I suppose it's instructive to note the differences.

I have the 12-50 to have a weather sealed lens to shoot in the rain, but the 12-35 is calling to me...

18. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Answers to questions and clarification on the f-stop used:

• The studio owners used full-frame Nikons.
    • I also took test shots of my own. If my test shots turned out a little over-exposed, I raised the f-stop until I got the desired result in exposure.

19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Give in.

20. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    A case of 'One gets what one pays for' IMVHO.