Pany 12-35 f/2.8 - lots of first evening images

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Jul 7, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I didn't get a chance to shoot this beautiful lens until tonight just before dusk, when I took a walk around my property just catching objects here and there.

Initial impressions from this lower-light time are pretty good considering I bumped up the ISO on a number of them. Some are at f/8 or so and others are at f/2.8. You can probably tell which are which. Shot with E-M5, captured as RAW images and processed in LightRoom4.

The lens feels and looks very well made and substantial. It's somewhat larger than the Pany-Leica 25/1.4, but not significantly so. Lens surfaces are flawless and there is no apparent dust inside. And as with all Pany lenses, was supplied with a lens hood and protective bag. Nice touch, Pany! I have always been impressed with Pany lenses and this one definitely does not disappoint.

Stuff grows here in Washington State.... like CRAZY.

• Like Like x 33
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Don, your example shots are in no way helping my lens lust for the 12-35 :biggrin:

Looks really great, thanks for putting up some more "real world" images from the 12-35, I find the samples here much more useful than review sites and stats. Semi-random test shots or not, you made some nice images in there too.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Great shots Don. You have a real good eye for things
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    And you sure have a lot of texture in your yard.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Nice pictures. You have a very good eye for color as well as texture.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Cheers Don.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for sharing these. Is the daisy shot at minimum focusing distance?

8. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Don - those were great!
    Did you happen to shoot jpeg & raw? I would love to see a few of these straight from camera with no processing. Btw what camera are you using?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Well done. Thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    OK, did I mention I am DYING for this lens enough times already?! I am very impressed w/ the colors as well....

Lastly, the minimum focus distance is really a selling point for me, esp that I will be using this to cover food event etc...

This is a great time to be in the mu43 world...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Wow, really great test shots, both as a demonstration of the lens's abilities as well as as actual photos. And I envy you your target rich property--lots of character and colors, very nice.

In your impressions this caught my attention:

:eek: I wish they'd get the lens up on the matching simulation site so I could compare it to other lenses (you don't happen to have shots of the lens itself side by side with other lenses, do you?). I said I wasn't interested in this lens at the moment because it doesn't fit what I'm trying to do with m4/3, but man if you're not making it hard to resist!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Dammit, now I want it, fml:mad: Thanks buddy.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Excellent shots Don and the IQ is outstanding, it makes that lens VERY tempting, if the 35-100 is a good then they will make a great pair.

• Like Like x 1
  14. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    :) Ok KVG.... Maybe it ls partly about the gear :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    I can only hope the 35-100 is as good... Talk about a pair indeed.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    One ques DHart... You processed in LR4...but did you do much in Sat & Vibrance?

The colors are wonderful, exactly the feel I like and this is what I would love to achieve in OOC JPEGS...

Obviously I love what LR can do with everything, esp Highlights & Shadows...but if I could achieve a richer feel to my JPEG's that would be great.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    In my E5 4/3 days I had the 14-35 and 35-100 f2.0 SHG lenses the IQ was out of this world they were the best lenses I've owned but they were big and heavy. If the 12-35 and 35-100 Lumix lenses can get close to replicating that IQ I'll be a very happy camper.

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Don... how did you get that lens so fast? I want one.. can you please stop posting all your awesome photos with various lenses.. especially the 7-14 and this one? You have stirred up my GAS again.. darn..
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX

One guy has a friend who lives in Japan, and picked it up locally and then delivered it, but I believe the rest of us have for them through DigitalRev
  20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    First off... thanks to everyone for your comments! :smile:

dhazeghi… the daisy shots were very close to minimum focus.

Yohan… I'm including an image showing the 12-35 side by side with the 25/1.4. The 12-35 is quite clearly larger, but isn't, and doesn't feel like, an especially large lens.

KVG…. you're welcome, buddy! Sorry about the pressure on the wallet. :redface:

Kiwi Paul… I agree, if the 35-100 is similarly wonderful, then what a pair! What the heck, let's make it a trio… the 7-14 is considered to be the sharpest native zoom lens in the m4/3 world… so, the 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 would make up a new 'Holy Trinity' of zoom lenses! Thank you Panasonic! :2thumbs:

MrKal… I only shoot RAW as I prefer to do my own processing rather than leave it to the camera to do so and then throw away a bunch of data on my behalf. And certainly, RAW files need some tweaks to vibrance and saturation in addition to tweaks to curves. Sometimes I do some dodging and/or burning in - can't help it, left over from years in the darkroom. I absolutely love processing my images in Lightroom4 and simply wouldn't have it any other way. Those of you who haven't at least tried the Lightroom free trial really need to do so. It's an amazing, very comprehensive, and very powerful tool for photographers.

For those wanting to see camera-baked JPGs… you will need to find those from another source as I don't capture in JPG. Lightroom processing is so quick and easy and provides such mind-boggling control that I never even bother with JPGs.

MrDoug… we are kindred souls in at least a couple of ways… I do this all, in part, to give you GAS! :rofl: I ordered from DigitalRev and it was an excellent buying experience. Typically I order from B&H, but I didn't feel like waiting for B&H this time, so I pulled the trigger in Hong Kong. They FedExed it to me overnight at no extra charge. Nice! There may be a modest customs fee coming as well, but I'm ok with that for this order. :smile:
    • Like Like x 3