Pany 100-400 vs Oly MC20 with 40-150

FarFromSane

Mu-43 Regular
Has anyone had done a comparison between the above lenses at around 300mm?
I have both lenses and would tend to bring both with me.
But just the 40-150 plus TC would sure take up less space in my travel bag.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
I've the 40-150 2.8 & MC1.4 and tooing and froing about the 100-400mm.
But interested in the MC20.
How do you find the MC20 behaves? Curious what camera you use these on.
Anyway I'd welcome comments to thanks.

Real Name
Walter
Here's some examples of the 40-150 Pro + MC-20 in action. I picked his site because he had a series of sessions using the MC-20 with the 40-150 Pro. It was so convincing that I put in an order for an MC-20 too.

These were BIF shots, which is tough for any combo.
https://smallsensorphotography.com/talons-thrust-forward
https://smallsensorphotography.com/e-m1x-bird-in-flight-test
https://smallsensorphotography.com/mc-20-birds-in-flight

More birds, but stationary this time.
https://smallsensorphotography.com/mc-20-teleconverter-at-bird-kingdom

And, a hands-on impression.
https://smallsensorphotography.com/m-zuiko-mc-20-teleconverter

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Many of these tests are really close to the subject which isn't a good indication of it's performance in real world situations.
I'm interested in it for birds in the wild. From 20 metres onwards

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I have the PL 100-400 a great lens ,sharp and accurate fast focus on my omd1-mkii but let down by its =F6.3 aperture , I have recently purchased a Olympus 50-200swd f2.8-3.5 plus mmf.3 adaptor which is superb .. and am now waiting on arrival of a EC.14 tc which will put it up to 300 mm .. time will tell if it’s good you’ll hear the screams of joy across the big pond

Real Name
Walter
I have the PL 100-400 a great lens ,sharp and accurate fast focus on my omd1-mkii but let down by its =F6.3 aperture , I have recently purchased a Olympus 50-200swd f2.8-3.5 plus mmf.3 adaptor which is superb .. and am now waiting on arrival of a EC.14 tc which will put it up to 300 mm .. time will tell if it’s good you’ll hear the screams of joy across the big pond

That is a great combination. I have the same set and it's very nice. But, I have a 40-150 Pro w/MC-14 that is getting more use because I've been shooting BIFs with it. I ordered an MC-20 which would make the 40-150 into an 80-300 f5.6. We'll see how that goes.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
I'll hang in then and wait the outcome
Holoholo55 sounds like you'll be the able to nay or yea that combo.
Look forward to seeing results.

Real Name
Walter
I'll hang in then and wait the outcome
Holoholo55 sounds like you'll be the able to nay or yea that combo.
Look forward to seeing results.

Check out my earlier posting with the links to smallsensorphotography. There are a lot of samples taken by someone much more skilled than me with that combo. I thought those were pretty impressive. Maybe not as good as a 300 f4 Pro prime, but still pretty darn good.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I
That is a great combination. I have the same set and it's very nice. But, I have a 40-150 Pro w/MC-14 that is getting more use because I've been shooting BIFs with it. I ordered an MC-20 which would make the 40-150 into an 80-300 f5.6. We'll see how that goes.
I really dont know if its needed I took this today , quiet a long way off TBH its a flock of gulls playing with a rat they caught at high tide . I just did a test to see how far I could crop the image without losing detail . omd1-mkii + zuiko50-200swd hand held , single point a/f ... first image is full size uncropped next one a square crop taken from that image .. as Yoda would say impressed I am
food delivery full size .jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
food delivery .jpg
food delivery .jpg

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Check out my earlier posting with the links to smallsensorphotography. There are a lot of samples taken by someone much more skilled than me with that combo. I thought those were pretty impressive. Maybe not as good as a 300 f4 Pro prime, but still pretty darn good.
Thanks. I did and they're impressive indeed.
I don't have the X so am interested in the 1 or the 5 (new one when it ever arrives?) and what the output is with them.

Real Name
Walter
Thanks. I did and they're impressive indeed.
I don't have the X so am interested in the 1 or the 5 (new one when it ever arrives?) and what the output is with them.

Took the MC-20 out for the first time and took some test shots with the 40-150 Pro by itself and with MC-14 and MC-20. The comparison shots were on a tripod, the rest handheld. Just some stuff in my neighborhood for a quick functional test. I thought it AF'd very quickly, about as fast as the 40-150 by itself.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/768E9t

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
thanks and appreciate your efforts.

Looking at those I couldn't see anything not to like that combo.
Since I posted before I spoke to a camera shop re an EM1 and the bloke suggested I get the MC20.
Said I wouldn't be disappointed.
That came from a comment that I had the 40-150 2.8 and was toying with a Panasonic 100-400
He reckoned past 300 the Panasonic drops off.
I'll keep my eye out for a 'cheap' TC20

Real Name
Walter
thanks and appreciate your efforts.

Looking at those I couldn't see anything not to like that combo.
Since I posted before I spoke to a camera shop re an EM1 and the bloke suggested I get the MC20.
Said I wouldn't be disappointed.
That came from a comment that I had the 40-150 2.8 and was toying with a Panasonic 100-400
He reckoned past 300 the Panasonic drops off.
I'll keep my eye out for a 'cheap' TC20

You're welcome. I got the MC-20 reconditioned from Olympus, so saved a few $.

Real Name
Walter
You're welcome. I got the MC-20 reconditioned from Olympus, so saved a few $.

I think if you already have the 40-150 Pro or 300 f4 Pro, it's a bit of a no-brainer. For a slight loss in IQ, a two-stop loss in max aperture, and moderate cost, you can get double the range. It's more affordable than the choice Panasonic Leica 200 f2.8 owners have, as the Panasonic TC20 2x converter goes for about $600 US.

I think some people have used the TC20 with the PL 50-200, which would seem a good match, but Panasonic still does not list it as being compatible with the TC20. And, the TC14, which comes with the 200 f2.8, is not sold separately, although they say that the TC14 is compatible with the 50-200. ???

I think Olympus's teleconverter policy is a lot more palatable than Panasonic's.

Last edited:

FarFromSane

Mu-43 Regular
I think if you already have the 40-150 Pro or 300 f4 Pro, it's a bit of a no-brainer. For a slight loss in IQ, a two-stop loss in max aperture, and moderate cost, you can get double the range.

Exactly what I'm thinking about . I have both lenses now, but was thinking about selling the 100-400, provided the 40-150/MC20 was as good. I know it's not the full reach, but it's close ..
Wes

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I think some people have used the TC20 with the PL 50-200, which would seem a good match, but Panasonic still does not list it as being compatible with the TC20. And, the TC14, which comes with the 200 f2.8, is not sold separately, although they say that the TC14 is compatible with the 50-200. ???

Actually, I think what we found out in a previous thread was a bit more complicated. In the US, Panasonic's marketing materials do not list the TC20 as compatible with the 50-200. In other countries it does, in some materials, and not in others.

IMHO, I think that the TC20 is mountable and usable on the 50-200, but the IQ that it gives is not very good. So different Panasonic marketing people have made different decisions on how to communicate this.

Real Name
Walter
Exactly what I'm thinking about . I have both lenses now, but was thinking about selling the 100-400, provided the 40-150/MC20 was as good. I know it's not the full reach, but it's close ..
Wes

Sorry, I can't help with a direct comparison to the 100-400. None of my friends have it either. :)

I figure it this way. Using a teleconverter to get more reach is a compromise. Using a lens within its designed range is not really a compromise. It's a compromise I'm willing to accept because I don't see myself needing 400 mm that much, but I'm not a dedicated wildlife photographer. I do some BIF occasionally, and am OK with going up to 300 handheld because I'm not as strong or as steady as I used to be. I'd have to use a gimbel or something if I were to use 400 mm regularly. And, I didn't feel that it made sense for me to invest in the otherwise stellar 300 f4 Pro. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom