1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PanStarrs Comet

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DoofClenas, Mar 18, 2013.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    My attempt at the PanStarrs...Last night, Empire, MI

EPM2 20mm f1.7 8sec Iso200

P3170075-20130317-X2.

• Like Like x 7
  2. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    This is a "stellar" shot. You did an awesome job getting the composition.

3. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Thanks, sometimes it's just dumb luck...I was hoping to set up a bit more to the right, but there was another photographer there who had dibs. However, it was a good thing he was there, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to capture it. He gave me some pointers on how to "lock in" on it. I also had my 50-200 (plus EC-14 and E-5), but had a difficult time focusing it. I even tried that combo on the EPM2, but liked this photo the best.

4. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
    This was a great shot! Great work.

5. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Another interesting story about this shot, confirming my dumb luck...

I got to my spot about an hour before the sun went down to stake claim on a nice spot (infront of those trees) to get ready to capture some sunsets and the comet.

As the sun was setting, I noticed a spot in the sky that I though might have been the comet...I got all excited and rattled off 20-30 shot of this spot that I thought was the comet. After the spot disappeared, I ran into another couple that asked me if I got any images of the PanStarr...I of course said yup, and showed them my images...They seemed to think that it was it too. After that, I grabbed my stuff and headed to my car to warm up for a bit, and wait until it got totally dark to do some night sky stuff. Upon walking back there was another photographer that asked me why I was leaving so soon...He said if I wait about 10 more minutes the comet should be visible.

Needless to say, what I thought was the comet, wasn't...because about 10 minutes later the comet was visible to the naked eye...but barely...and in a totally different spot than where I was looking.

DOH!

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice shot! We've had clouds the past many days here in MD, maybe this evening I'll get to see it finally.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  8. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I suggest brining a pair of binoculars to search the sky to locate it first.

Next, set it your iso around 800-1000 and set exposure around 8-10 seconds to start...just to confirm it from there.

After you get it composed, adjust from there...my best shots were in the 8-10 second exposure range...more than that, and I was getting star trails. I wish I had my 45 with me...and even more, I wish I owned the 75mm for this shot.

9. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There are times that you can't beat being lucky! Very nice shot.:thumbup: