1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pansonic G3 high iso usability.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by colbycheese, Mar 27, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So what is the highest iso that can be used that will still produce good photos? Also, what is the best noise reduction setting for the camera? What is the best program you can use to help reduce noise in post process?
    Thanks

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Pretty solid up to ISO1600 IMO, and usable at 3200.

In my experience the main concern is not underexposing. I always expose to the right (specially since the metering is too dark by default) 1/3 or 2/3 stops. If I'm able to raise the EV, I pretty much don't worry about ISO at all (pretty much true of any M43 body).

Don't bother with noise reduction in-camera. It's fairly straightforward to do in any decent editor. I simply use Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Heavily depends on your standards and subject matter. For noise reduction, I use Lightroom, but there are other good alternatives as well.

--Ken

4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Agree with that.

I have used Nik Dfine and also recently bought Topaz Denoise (50% off this month).

But TBH, I mostly use Lightroom 4 for NR as it's really good, and quick as part of my normal PP workflow.

Rob

5. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Yeah - and that too!

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    With Gx1 which has pretty much the same sensor, I would agree with 1600 being good and 3200 OK of necessary. Its usually better to use Raw and use NR in program like Lightroom .

7. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    I find my self having to push the ISO up on my G3, especially when indoors. Rarely am I happy with 6400. I use Lightroom for noise reduction because its all I have. LR does a good job on most pics at 3200 though a good example did not spring to mind. Below is a link to a pic at 1600 shot in raw with hardly anything done to it. I adjusted the WB, added some luminance noise reduction and a little clarity with the basic slider. Kinda surprised at how little was done to this picture now that i look back at it. I hope you can see that ISO 1600 is a non issue with a G3. This arena was actually rather dark but you'd hardly know it from this picture (hence the blown highlights in the window)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg8y7rp9l4gyndl/Dalton-16.jpg

I guess i really need to get on flicker if i want to share pics on this site :)

8. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    [​IMG] https://db.tt/BpiPWfmt

trying to see how to post the image, sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I agree with broody. I prefer not to go over 1600 and 3200 when absolutely necessary (since I don't have the best light-gathering lenses), and I also find the need to expose by +1/3 or +2/3 stops on my G3.

10. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    +1 to what has been said here. 1600 RAW cleans up nicely in Lightroom. I have NIK dfine that would probably be better, but haven't even tried it since that's extra steps. My normal setting is auto ISO with 1600 max.

11. mike_a

mike_a Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    Israel
    I never use JPEG OOC with the G3. Using RAW with post processing (I use Lightroom) gives results which are SO much better.
    3200 is indeed usable, but with heavy noise reduction so that's somewhat of a last resort.

My experience is also that the G3 underexposes by around 2/3.
    I usually compensate +1/3 in camera and the rest in Lightroom - when shooting RAW that gives very good results.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In a darkish room I find my G3 tries to underexpose ... certainly compared to this e-pM2 which overexposes in dim light, I have to treat the cameras differently in that regard.
    PhotoNinja does a nice job with my G3 RAWs if I'm processing quickly, the presets seem to suit it.

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What metering are you guys using when saying it underexposes? Maybe it is just me, but the spot metering seems to be just fine for me.

14. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I keep my meter at center weighted the majority of the time. Adjusting by 1/3 or 2/3 is practically second nature now.

15. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

DxO

You guys have to try DxO's raw processing software.
    http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-optics-pro/photo-software

They offer a free trial and their web site has some very good videos of how it works. It differs from CS and LR in that it's not a plugin and runs independent of any other program. DxO evaluates every camera body and lens and builds custom profiles, so what is applied is specifically targeted for the equipment you use. I've taken ISO 6400 RAW files from older cameras and could not believe what it was able to do. It will work with JPG, but not nearly as effective.

Like most of you I used LR and Dfine and still have a very high opinion of both. DxO, at $99 was probably the best piece of software I have.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I use centre-weighted metering all the time, every time.
    With spot metering I cannot hand the camera to someone and expect a reliable exposure, spot-metering is for folk who know they've got spot-metering set.
    My cameras have to be able to give decent results even when handled by a five-year-old ... that's just the way it is.
    (His favourite is the old E-1)

17. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I get very good ISO 1600 with my GX1 and G5 (same sensor as the G3) shooting RAW. Read my previous posts for my workflow.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    With my G5, I feel comfortable using 1600, but I'm ok with 3200.

19. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    I too shoot RAW only, and depending on the high iso composition I'll either use LR's NR, or Neat Image Pro or NIK's Define2. I've been able to pull out some amazing iso 6400 from G3 raw. However, I tried to keep the G3 iso limit to 3200.

Once again, it all depends on both how you meter the composition and the content of your frame (lights, darks).

Jason

20. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    You have to be pretty carefull at ISO 3200, but good images are obtainable.
    Often it is better to use faster glass or a SpeedBooster.