Pansonic 12-32 Came Apart

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TwoWheels, May 5, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I was on a trip in the Grand Canyon last week with my GM1 and kit lens. Two days into the trip, in the bottom of the canyon, the ring that you twist to zoom the lens just came off. Fortunately, I could still use the lens somewhat without the ring although it has since become very difficult to zoom at all. Unfortunately, I think it's out of warranty by a few weeks. Has anyone else had this happen? Any experiences with Panasonic (Canada) warranties? Any ideas how expensive or difficult a repair might be? I'm not sure if I should take it to a local repair place or send it off to Panasonic.

20150504-IMG_0364-XL.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about your lens. Did you use a credit card to purchase it? It may extend your warranty. Panasonic might also be kind enough to fix it out of warranty, so it may be worth a call. But, do note that some have not reported great experiences with Panasonic's repair facility in the US. I do not know if Canada is different.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Sorry that this happened to you. I was considering this lens as well but am now having second thoughts.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @TwoWheels@TwoWheels, as budeny stated, this has been seen on other copies of the lens as well. You can call Panasonic to see what they say (whether it be a "good will" repair free of charge, or what the fee would be to fix it). I'm not certain how Panasonic repair works, but Olympus works by basically replacing the item you have with a refurbished model, fixing the item you sent in, and then passing it along to someone else when their item experiences some failure and they send it in for repair. The problem with this (if Panasonic works the same way), is that you may receive a lens that isn't as good optically as the one you have now. I suppose you could verify this when call the repair facility though, and make a determination at that point.

Your other option would just be to apply a tiny bit of 2-part epoxy around the circumference of the lens, and then slide the metal cover on and let the lens sit for 24-48 hours to ensure it has fully cured before using it again.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    It does seem to be a heat and adhesive issue from most reports (little chance of the problem in the UK summer...). I think I'll be tempted just to glue mine if it does come off, it's not a major issue by the looks of it.

7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It happened recently again to my second 12-32. I thought the first one was from drop damage, but that must have only played a partial role because my new one has been babied and it has come loose after only 2 months.

Mine is gray-market (and I haven't heard good things about Panasonic support anyway) so I guess I'll try glueing it, though one wrong move and the lens will be ruined. If anyone glues theirs please take photos and describe the glue and technique you use.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would definitely epoxy it if it happened to me, but it's annoying to have to do in the first place. Just goes to show the trade-offs associated with people wanting "metal" lenses at low prices.

Out of curiosity, does the lens still function just fine without the zoom ring? You can still turn it, no?

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    And here was I thinking it was my fault entirely ... (the lens was on the camera when I(!) slipped and fell).

Anyhow, exactly the same here; I was unsure if I should look into it any further, but now I definitely will.

M.

10. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like it's a fairly common issue.

It is difficult to turn without the ring. It almost feels like something is binding a little. That's why I'd like to have it repaired as opposed to just gluing the ring again.

I went back to the camera shop where I bought it and they reprinted my receipt. I bought the camera on April 23rd of last year so it's less than two weeks out of the warranty period. Why am I not surprised?? I'm going to call Panasonic in the morning and see what they have to say. I'm not optimistic based on what I've heard about Panasonic's customer service, but it's worth a call.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe this is Panasonic's equivalent of Canon's 50mm f1.8 II. Cheap, light and sharp, but built from spare parts from the McDonald's kid's meal toy factory! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    But Canon's 50mm 1.8 II only cost around $100, I think P12-32 owners will be happier if it's cost only $99.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jhomer

jhomer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2011
    Same happened to mine. Shouldn't there be some corporate response to this lens falling apart in the same way for so many Panasonic consumers???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I called Panasonic Canada's customer support this morning. After a protracted period of giving them a bunch of information (name, address and phone number for both me and the place I purchased the camera, serial number of the camera, serial number of the lens, etc.) I was told that it was out of warranty. I explained a second time that I was on a trip over the period that the lens broke and that the warranty expired. I also mentioned that it seemed to be a common problem with the lens and asked if they could cover it as that seems like the reasonable thing to do. The person I was talking to said he has no authority to approve anything but he did agree to forward my information to the "escalation department". He said I would hear something in 2-4 days. Twenty five minutes on the phone to get to the "escalation department".... :shakehead:

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Based on my past experiences with Olympus America/Precision Camera, things do not tend to move very quickly, so you may want to prepare yourself for the time it may take to get this fully resolved. I went without one of my E-M5's for almost two months before I saw it back and properly fixed. Urgency is just not a concern with many of the camera warranty/repair centers.

Sorry,

--Ken

16. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    As the OP, I thought I should update provide an update to this thread. A few days after my initial conversation with Panasonic Canada's customer support, I did hear back from the "escalation department" as promised. They told me there is a 30 day grace period in the warranty so they would cover the repair under warranty. I'm not sure why the original person I talked to didn't seem to know about this grace period. Anyway, I mailed the lens to Ontario and last week, roughly three weeks after mailing it, I received my lens back repaired and in working order. Although the first part of the process was a little painful, the outcome was satisfactory. It could have been a better experience if they had agreed up front to cover the repair rather than requiring me to push them to do it, but I'm not surprised it worked that way. Just for what it's worth....

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Glad to hear that you got your lens fixed at no cost. Any idea if it's your same lens or not (specific "markings" you could recognize, serial number, etc.)? I ask because I'm curious if they actually fixed your lens, or if they simply sent you a new one and sent the old one back to an actual repair facility.

18. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I think it's the same lens but I'm not sure. I had the same question but I forgot to try and identify any specific marks/numbers before I sent it. There is a very faint scratch on the lens cap that I think looks familiar, but I'm not certain.

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    My came apart too. It's not a rocket science to glue it back - just clean it well from old glue and don't apply glue around slot that has that copper thingy and apply glue to the ring, not lens body - this way it won't squeeze out on non-moving part.
    I've used 3M 5200 fast cure adhesive - it's good for pretty much everything.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  20. Canyonlands

Canyonlands New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2015
    Puget Sound
    Hmmm. Not the quality level I'd expect of a MFT lens selling for over $300USD. I intend to get one of these for my new GX7 (being delivered today). Guess I'll pick up a tube of glue to go in the camera bag with it.

• Funny Funny x 1