1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panosonic 7-14 and OM-D - How bad is the purple flare in real world use?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thaiusmle, Jan 18, 2013.

1. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi Guys,
    I am planning to buy Panosonic 7-14 and OM-D - How bad is the purple flare in real world use (Not Chromatic aberration that can be easily fixed) ? Anyone with this combo can shed me some light!!! Thanks

TC

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi.

I notice it regularly, it's so frequent when shooting into the sun I almost expect it and so I look out for it. Mind you, it only occurs when shooting almost directly into the sun otherwise it's non existent. I'm not sure if its as a result of becoming conscious of the purple ghosting issue with the P7-14 on the OMD...but I'm beginning to think ALL flare/lens reflections I get with ALL my lenses tends to a purple color on the OMD !

3. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for the info!:2thumbs: Will you buy the lens again, if you know the problem?

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There was a shot posted recently in another thread that showed purple flare on the PL 25mm shooting at some lamps. I've seen examples of it on some other lenses like the 9-18mm too, so I strongly suspect that you're correct that all or most flare on the OM-D is purple hued. I don't have one to confirm and haven't hit any on my GH3 yet to see if it's present there too (since it's supposed to be the same or similar sensor).

5. Rainer

Rainer New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2013
    I agonised over buying the 7-14 for my OMD for months...worried about the said issue. I read every forum and comment on the web 3 times over. I made the decision that there appeared to be a lot of keyboard photographer/warrior chat over this, but there was an element that you'd need to watch for with the lens, which is natural when shooting this wide. Finally, I found a second hand one on eBay and finally pulled the trigger a week or two ago.

I've registered here to respond, honestly I think the issues are completely overblown. Yes there are times when you notice it, but the issue in my opinion is much more about shot composition. You are always going to get flare issues with a lens this wide, particularly if you shoot straight into the biggest light source of all - the sun. I think it's a misunderstanding of use/creative preference of shot more than anything else.

But I agree with the post above, I notice my PL 25mm and other lenses on my OMD to show a purple colour on flare as well.

The 7-14mm is a freaking awesome lens. I'm over the moon with it, if you love shooting wide, I wouldn't hesitate (I hesitated for too long and missed a few trips/treks that I would have now loved to have it with me).

• Like Like x 2
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I wish that there was a consistent answer to this problem. The 7-14 will flare, most certainly, but that is regardless of whatever body you have it on. I've had really mixed results with the purple blotching issues. Some days I didn't see it, other days I had entire sets ruined by it. The worst actually was a bright but overcast day in August.

But sometimes you can shoot right into the sun and it doesn't flare as badly as even the 12-35mm. I don't ever see the purple flare from that lens though. The 15mm bodycap lens has some ridiculous purple flare actually the worst I've seen.

This is an HDR but I didn't do anything to fix the flare.

8387255919_bfd75cc068_b.
    Oceanside Sunset by danska8, on Flickr

Single exposure, but I don't even think there is flare here:

8034149791_ab1e0884a2_b.
    Historical District Sunset by danska8, on Flickr

7. Flare is a common problem in ultra wide angle lenses, partly due to their complex optics and also because there is so much in the frame and it is easy to catch the sun or artificial lights at a bad angle. The combination of the 7-14mm and the Sony 16MP m4/3 sensor has a different problem again that goes beyond normal flare. I suspect that there is a fair amount of sample variation because some have experienced the problem worse than others. I had the chance to borrow a 7-14mm briefly and use it on my E-M5 and while the lens was fine when the sun wasn't near the frame, it did produce some really bad results when it was. I love ultra wide angle lenses, but based on my experience with it I wouldn't purchase the 7-14mm in it's current form.

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have noticed some purple flare on the 12-35mm on the OMD when shooting into the sun:

PC230051.jpg by hazwing, on Flickr

The purple colour seems to come out more as I reduce the highlights or exposure in LR.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I'd say the other posters here are correct in that it won't always show the purple ghosting when shooting into the sun...it's not a hard and fast rule by no means.

Your only alternative would be the Oly 9-18 which I did own for a period and IMO (mind this is based solely on my experience with the copy I had) the P7-14 resolves significantly greater detail....even now I'm still impressed with how much fine sharp detail the 7-14 is capable of and I would EASILY put it up there with my best primes.

But purple ghosting isn't the only issue, I'm sure you are aware of its size, it is larger than the 9-18 and unlike the 9-18...it doesn't take filters...but I have custom made an easy and cheap work around to that anyways.

For myself, and again, I based my decision on MY experiences...I sold my 9-18 and tried the 7-14....it has remained in my kit since and despite some short comings it will remain so. I love having that crazy 7mm wide end and I just love how freakishly good the lens resolves...sure the odd purple ghost p!sses me off and I would have loved it if it was filter capable...but...only a percentage of my shots are into the sun directly and only rarely do I want or need to use a graduated ND filter or a big 10 stop ND for long exposures.

The 7-14 it has often been claimed to not only be the best m43 ultra wide but amongst the very best ultra wides of ANY format, not my words and I wouldn't know, the point is though, it is a lens that can be hard to find and when they do show up...they are often snapped up quickly. My advice would be to get yourself a mint used copy and try it out for yourself, if you find that you can't accept it's shortcomings despite its superb optical performance otherwise...you will have NO trouble selling it on very quickly for only a very small loss if at all. You could then always try the also excellent Oly 9-18.

Good luck.

Btw....take the time to check out the 9-18 and 7-14 image threads here.....some really impressive stuff from both lenses.

10. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I'm starting to think this is the real issue.

Brian

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Awesome and indispensible...flare is occasional and largely depends on how the lens is used...I have been very, very happy with mine and would be exceptionally reluctant to part with it. By the way, although I have never done any A/B testing, I don't notice any difference on the OM-D vs. my current G5 or former GX1.

12. As a counterpoint, it's also incorrect to presume that everyone who found the purple flare/globs/tinging of the 7-14mm unacceptable on the E-M5 has no experience with using ultra-wide angle lenses. The problem does seem to manifest itself to varying degrees.

13. Rainer

Rainer New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2013
    True...valid point. And agreed, one thing I also can't comment on is sample variation between panny 7-14 lenses. I'm not sure if there has been any conclusive research into this?

14. TDP

TDP Guest

So you are saying the 7-14 is a "freaking awesome lens" and the problem is the photographers are inexperienced with UWA, pointing the lens at the sun and then spend too much time as a keyboard warrior stirring up a mess over nothing, right?

15. Unsure. This below is an example of the problems that I had when I tried out the lens. To be fair it was by far the worst, but I also experienced varying degrees of flare trails and odd purple tinging in other images as well. Now I'm just messing about on the street here so I didn't have a a chance to set up properly, but the sun is still a fair way from the top of the frame and I have never seen anything remotely like this before on other camera/lens combinations.

7780398022_d3e7aaca56_z.

This may not be a typical example of the extent of the problem, but it is still an example nonetheless.

16. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY

100% agreed. Freaking awesome lens... :bravo-009:

17. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Is there anyone here who's had experience with the 7-14 & the EM5, and also on the GH3, who can offer an opinion as to whether the purple flare issue remains similar, or seems less obvious?

If I recall, sgoldswo remarked that he also saw a bit of purple flaring when using the GH3, but I'm specifically interested in whether it might appear either less often, or less in degree when it does appear?

I'm not referring to CA, which we know is corrected in Panasonic bodies.

I understand the susceptability to flaring on lenses in certain circumstances, the problem is this magenta color cast, which may be an artifact of the magenta tint on the front of the Sony sensor as used in the EM5. So does the front surface of the GH3 sensor also look magenta?

Edit: based on a quick search on Google Images, most pics of the GH3 show a sensor with a green-ish tint on the front, however there are a few images where the sensor coating clearly looks magenta. So which is correct????

Brian

18. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Anyone have experience with GH3, o E-PL5?