1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panoranic & Lens Nodal Points

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tradesmith45, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi,

Haven't found much on the web about the nodal points of Mu43 lens so did my own measurements shown below.

Problem is these are accurate to maybe 2-3mm. But so far, I've had no problems stitching photos using Olympus Viewer 2. Have yet to get a heavy duty pano program.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has made their own measurements so we can compare. The distances shown below are measured from the middle of the camera tripod socket to the pivot point on the tripod. Don't know if the formating will hold when I post this but here goes:

Lens FL Z.M 9-18mm
    9 mm 85mm
    11 mm 77mm
    14 mm 76mm
    18 mm 76mm

Lens FL Z.M IIR 14-42
    14 mm 75mm
    17 mm 73mm
    20 mm 72mm
    25 mm 68mm
    35 mm 70mm
    42 mm 75mm

Lens FL Z.M 40-150mm
    50mm 60mm
    75mm 50mm
    100mm 50mm
    125mm 50mm

And for the Z.M 12mm F2 = 48mm
    The Pany 45mm Macro = 55mm

Its interesting that the WA zoom has the longest nodal point distance. That's what an inverted tele gets you I guess.

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Since there is absolutely no standard for the spacing between the lens flange and the body's tripod socket, your numbers are totally useless without information about the body used for the measurements. Specifying the body model would allow others with the same model to use the info but others still wouldn't be able to use or add to the info.

Measurements should be made to the lens flange. That way other users can simply add their flange to tripod socket dimension.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Oops sorry, you're absolutely right. I had that info on a file I tried to attach but the board wouldn't accept it. Then forgot to put that in when I did the tables manually. Glad it got your attention though, means your interested in the topic-:)

These were made on an OM-D which I've read has a 20mm flange-sensor distance. In any case, the distance from the tripod socket to the flange on the OMD is 21mm so just subtract that from the distances above to get nodal point to flange distance.

I did find one site in German that gave some limited data at Nodalpunkte E System - olypedia.de
    It gives tripod socket to sensor distances for Olympus cameras.

The only lens they tested that I own is the 9-18mm but that's not clear in their table. My measurements differ from theirs a couple mm for 2 FL. Adding the +1mm for the OMD as they instruct they got:
    Lens FL Z.M 9-18mm
    9 mm 83mm
    11 mm 80mm
    14 mm 77mm
    18 mm 77mm
    From what they posted, I assume their test of the 14-42mm was for the V1.0 lens. Mine is a IIR.

As I said in the original post, these are hard measurements to make w/ great accuracy - this was my 3rd try and I've improved my set up each time to get better accuracy. This time one target used 0.1" wide parallel lines. The other was a ball point pen about 15' away. I tried to keep the pen point aligned w/ one of the black lines. So at 9mm FL, I see no detectable parallax error with either 83mm or 85mm. Even w/ a WA lens, one of the targets is slightly out of focus when onscreen mag is 14X. Hence detecting perfect alignment is a guess.

Have you found a way to make these measurements that is more accurate that you can share? Have you found that accuracy greater than say 5mm is needed to prevent stitching errors w/ close subjects? For distant subjects, parallax error seems to be a non-issue.

4. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    That's Panoramic & Lens Entrance Pupil Distances

My quick typing is not so good, sorry.

5. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    I have an Olympus E-PL5 camera and measured the nodal points for the 14-42 3.5-5.6 II and the 40-150mm 4-5.6 on a Nodal Ninja Mk3 pano head.

I set up as follows: 5mm diameter tripod head screw for near target - 1m from camera for 14-35mm focal lengths; 2m from camera for 40-100mm focal lengths. 15mm diameter white pipe for far target which was fixed at 12m from the camera.

14-42 lens = NP
    14mm = 67mm
    18mm = 65mm
    25mm = 63mm
    35mm = 73mm
    40mm = 75mm

40-150 lens = NP
    40mm = 70mm
    50mm = 63mm
    70mm = 60mm
    100mm = 50mm