Panoramas with the GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NikonD300, Jun 12, 2016.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Can I shoot in Panorama mode on my GX8 while holding the camera vertically and panning horizontally (left to right)? Unless I am missing a setting, it only allows me to hold the camera horizontally.
    Thanks!

2. I can't say with certainty - but I've yet to see a camera that could do pano and not allow it in vertical orientation.

3. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I can confirm that you can change the orientation.

4. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    You can, its just that the setting can only be changed with the camera in panorama mode...

5. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes, that was my problem! Thank you!

6. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm interested in the GX8's panorama mode. Is the pano file jpg only, or can you save a pano in RAW? Thanks!

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    JPG only. I have a pano from a recent trip, shot with the camera held vertically, that is 5888 x 2560 pixels. IMO the pixel size will vary vertically due to mislignment from frame to frame and horizontally due to factors like frame overlap and total pano swing.

FWIW I consider this type of pano kind of a snapshot. For more serious landscape panos I will hand-hold and pivot while taking multiple overlapping photos. I always save RAW/JPG so this gives me the raw material to do a higher-quality stitched pano in post. For most uses, though, the in-camera panos are quite nice.

Edit: Not that the in-camera panos are bad. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago SOOC:
    upload_2016-7-1_17-59-12.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1