Panorama Mode in OMD EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klee, Jun 13, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    is there a way to use the Panorama Scene mode in the OMD with custom JPEG settings?

Olympus Viewer 2/3 stitches the ORFs together, but always processes the final image with "Vivid" picture mode, Gradation=Normal, Sat/Sharp=0, etc...

I have to admit, stitching images with Viewer and the Pano SCN is MUCH easier than using Hugin. But you're stuck with the Pano SCN image presets.

To do the attached Panorama, I used Olympus Viewer to correct distortion with the lens profile. Then I used LR5beta for post processing. Then I used Hugin to stitch.

I was really hoping to use Olympus Viewer for a one stop shop pano processor....

Attached Files:

2. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    I apologize that I have no idea, but I wanted to say that is a great shot (or series of shots). It has such a great feel to it and I can imagine being there. Thanks.

Scott

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Thanks Scott.

Also, I noticed Pano SCN doesn't let you take shots in portrait orientation. Which was what I wanted to try on my next outing.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I agree - a great and in fact stupendous pano! (I didn't even know that the E-M5 could stitch ORFs)

5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    it can't in-camera. it embeds data points for the desktop SW to stitch it together.

6. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Great shot! McDonald Observatory?

BTW, where in Houston? I'm in Clear Lake.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ahhh! I guess I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My brother's in Clear Lake. On the golf course. (Is there more than one golf course in Clear Lake?)

9. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Yep, there are a few. Bay Forest is probably the nicest one in Clear Lake. I'm next to the old Clear Lake course that closed several years ago. Now it's just a walking track/dog run/green space.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I just checked the maps and, yep I guess a few. He is on Master's Drive in a development in between Deke Slayton and 2094, but I don't see a name on the course.

11. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I'm on the west loop in Meyerland, outside Bellaire. We should all do a meet up at Houston Camera Exchange.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It does! Once you've got the allignment frame showing, press on any of the 4 way arrow keys for the direction you want. In other words, you can start from the right & move left or from the top to the bottom (or L&R in portrait orientation) by selecting the appropriate direction from the 4 way keys. This also allows starting with the best side of the pano for the exposure setting as the others will be fixed to the first frame's auto selection.

We learn something new each day! :wink: (I just tried it out for myself. :biggrin: )

13. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    But I tried it once: you have to press one of the arrow buttons to switch over to portrait orientation.

Anyhow, i prefer stitching in Hugin because I LOVE using the "Panini general" projection ...

14. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    sweet!

15. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Actually the Gemini at the Mauna Kea summit in Hawaii.