1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panorama - Curved Horizons

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Tenpenny, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Maybe this trick is common knowledge but, it's new to me. I think it's pretty rad and thought I'd share for anybody else that may not know about it. An easy way to flatten that curved horizon in panorama shots.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I hate this shot and gave up on it part way through but, it illustrates the issue.. so yeah....

Not much to it. It's the adaptive wide-angle filter in PhotoShop. Once the filter is selected there is an option for panorama and it works great with only small amount of image loss. Below is a screenshot and a quick before and after example.

wafilt.

P9090006-Pano.

P9090006-Pano-Edit-Edit-Edit.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    But what you've flattened isn't the horizon, it's part of the shoreline and a receding part of the shore line at that so that part of the shoreline shouldn't be flat. It should be higher towards the centre of the image than it is at the right edge. It would only be horizontal if that part of the shoreline was parallel to the sensor plane and it isn't.

I like the photo and I really like the rest of the processing you applied but as far as the perspective correction goes I much prefer the uncorrected image which looks more natural and correct to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Agree. I prefer the original as well. Look at the trees. They are all leaning to the right in the bottom image.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Good points. I hadn't really noticed that. Esp. the tree leaning thing, it really stands out now that I look at it!

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I will just mention that the three peaks of the hills on the left side or more or less equal height. But in the "fixed" version they are all sloping down from left to right.