Panorama Assist

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Apr 19, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm new to the GH2 and interchangeable lenses in general ... coming from a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 (superzoom).

I understand the "loss" of many of the presets/scene modes. But one that surprised me is that the GH2 does not have the "Panorama Assist" mode. I actually found that quite handy.

Am I alone in this?

2. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree - I definitely found the panorama assist mode helpful on the point & shoots I've owned in the past. Makes it much easier to get consistent horizons and good overlap when shooting without a tripod.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I have an oly, not a panny, but the panoramic assist isn't that useful on the oly's. I've tried it a few times but I find it's much better to just turn on the grid display and use exposure lock if need be. It meant on the oly that I could use a/s/m still and what ever settingi want etc. Much more versatile, but maybe the panny's panno mode is different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Same as Squeegee.
    I checked out Oly's pan mode: overlap is IMO a bit shallow AND does not provide for vertical framing (camera sideways in "portrait" way) of horizontal pans.
    So the grid works better, i.e. second best to a click-stopped tripod pan head...

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Hmm... I never thought to use AE lock. Interesting! Do you just use AE lock, or AE/AF lock (if Oly can do both in one button)?

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I think the oly can do both in one button.

I think most pano assists will do both for you but in reality AF isn't usually required, if you're doing a pano, chances are you're focused at infinity anyways so it'll always come out to be the same.

Honestly, I don't even bother with AE lock, it's all sorted out in software during stitching anyways, it rebalances the exposure and white balance and all for me. All I do is take photos as I normally would but make sure I have roughly a 50% overlap between pictures (so 100% overlap in total) and it all sorts itself out nicely. I find most of the pano-assist modes I've tried don't do enough overlap, they try to do like 10% or 20% overlap per picture and the resulting stitch is horrible at the join points.

Here's some links to panno's I've done, join points aren't really visible, and all I have to do is take pictures as normal and later click a button on my computer to auto-stitch (I use hugin, it's free and good) :

View attachment 162652

View attachment 162653

View attachment 162654

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Careful overlap (1/3) don't use WA stay more with normal to short Tele in the zoom range.
    I dont see a built in Pana feature as important
    I use PTgui software ... excellent stitching performance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.