Panorama Assist

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Apr 19, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm new to the GH2 and interchangeable lenses in general ... coming from a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 (superzoom).

I understand the "loss" of many of the presets/scene modes. But one that surprised me is that the GH2 does not have the "Panorama Assist" mode. I actually found that quite handy.

Am I alone in this?

2. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree - I definitely found the panorama assist mode helpful on the point & shoots I've owned in the past. Makes it much easier to get consistent horizons and good overlap when shooting without a tripod.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I have an oly, not a panny, but the panoramic assist isn't that useful on the oly's. I've tried it a few times but I find it's much better to just turn on the grid display and use exposure lock if need be. It meant on the oly that I could use a/s/m still and what ever settingi want etc. Much more versatile, but maybe the panny's panno mode is different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Same as Squeegee.
    I checked out Oly's pan mode: overlap is IMO a bit shallow AND does not provide for vertical framing (camera sideways in "portrait" way) of horizontal pans.
    So the grid works better, i.e. second best to a click-stopped tripod pan head...

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Hmm... I never thought to use AE lock. Interesting! Do you just use AE lock, or AE/AF lock (if Oly can do both in one button)?

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I think the oly can do both in one button.

I think most pano assists will do both for you but in reality AF isn't usually required, if you're doing a pano, chances are you're focused at infinity anyways so it'll always come out to be the same.

Honestly, I don't even bother with AE lock, it's all sorted out in software during stitching anyways, it rebalances the exposure and white balance and all for me. All I do is take photos as I normally would but make sure I have roughly a 50% overlap between pictures (so 100% overlap in total) and it all sorts itself out nicely. I find most of the pano-assist modes I've tried don't do enough overlap, they try to do like 10% or 20% overlap per picture and the resulting stitch is horrible at the join points.

Here's some links to panno's I've done, join points aren't really visible, and all I have to do is take pictures as normal and later click a button on my computer to auto-stitch (I use hugin, it's free and good) :

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Careful overlap (1/3) don't use WA stay more with normal to short Tele in the zoom range.
    I dont see a built in Pana feature as important
    I use PTgui software ... excellent stitching performance