1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PannyGH3 has failed to excite this forum , any reason why?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    I was just wondering whats the reason that Panny GH3 hasnt generated as much interest as OMD did . GH3 looks fantastic but OMD was all over the place even before its launch . Is it that this particular offering is aimed at Videographers ? Or is it the big size which has turned people off ? Or something else? I was expecting GH3 threads replacing OMD ones but it hasnt happened . Please share your free time , internet time and free opinion :wink: To be honest GH3 looks alien to MFT world where compactness, portability and light weight are among the major reasons for people to embracing MFT. IMHO GH3 is one step backwards and not for everyone . Panny might have pleased many videographers but has annoyed many normal GH3 buyers IMHO
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Under normal circumstances the GH3 might be on my radar as an existing GH1 user, but with the jump in size and price (and not being into video myself) it doesn't feel like a direct replacement model to the GH series but rather a new class of camera on it's own. I think that the GH3 will need to appeal to a new type of buyer who may not currently be using Micro 4/3, since not every existing owner of a GH camera may see it as a logical upgrade.

The E-M5 was also unique in that it delivered the features that a lot of people had been wanting in an Olympus for some time. In both the sensor and the IBIS it even ended up delivering beyond expectations. That same kind of step probably won't happen again.

• Like Like x 4
  3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I think your humble opinion represents the humble opinion of many others :biggrin:. Adding to what you said, I was excited about the rumored focus peaking feature, but it seems like it has been disabled in the release firmware. The pre-released high ISO images look on par with the OMD, so i don't see much improvement there either. I'm still interested in the Android/iOS apps. Maybe Panny will do some interesting things with that, but it wouldn't warrant an upgrade if I had a GH2

OM-D brought a lot to the table. sexy retro looks, weather sealing, 5-axis IBIS, class leading ISO performance.... its a tough act to follow. Instead of one upping the OM-D, Panasonic went a different route

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    When I first read the spcs of the GH3 I did feel an initial rush of excitement but as more was revealed it waned and finally died on reading the full spc.

I am sure it is a superb camera and will deliver good image quality but for me, it is too large and my D700 will deliver better quality in a body not too much larger.

I am sad that Panasonic did not see fit to keep the size down to that of the OMD and feel that contributes to the lack of raw enthusiasm shown to date on this site.

Ho hum, I will stick with my GX1 - it does what I want in a small footprint camera.

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I am simply waiting to see what the sensor performance is like. All the rhetoric in the world doesn't tell you that! Body size is relatively immaterial to me - it is the lens size that matters. I will be buying the 35-100 and there is no way you could get that equivalent focal length on DSLR at that aperture without the lens being 4x the size.

I may well look at an OM-D, but it appears just too small to me when you put a decent sized lens on it (I still like to put a lens on a camera rather than the other way around :wink:). Add the (expensive) grip and you are more like it, but then the size is similar to the GH3. In that case, sensor performance will still be the deciding factor for me.

Having said that, I do get the feeling this forum is very Oly biased mind you. Given it is a predominantly USA based forum, I wonder if that's the perception generated by the different brand names in the market place (I get the feeling there is a perception that an Oly is a "real" camera, a Panny is something thrown together by a consumer electronics giant).

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If you can call it a lukewarm user response (which I'm not sure) reasons are (IMHO):

• There is already a OM-D; the GH3 doesn't bring anything -it seems- to the IQ department, indeed it may have the exact same sensor. It offers major improvements for video thought, as well as useability improvements. But, overall, it's not as revolutionary as the OM-D seemed to be.
    • The GH3 is optically and funcionally a 4/3 DSLR sized body with DSLR styled controls, etc. This (mainly size) has perhaps allienated some people.
    • It will be expensive and a major investment. Audience is somewhat limited in that respect.
    • In relation to this, many Panasonic users have found the G5 to be quite adequate to their needs.

All that said the GH3 will objectivelly be a no-brainer for existing GH2 users interested in video mostly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I tend to differ a bit. This forum has as many as Panny users as Oly and some people have both and I am among those . You havent seen GH3 , its monster and OMD with grip is the best thing I have ever held in my hands . Its light weight and Its beautiful . GH3 is beautiful and capable camera but its too big for many of us . OMD can be trimmed to suit different users . Add half grip - Its very nice to hold even for big hands. Add on second grip - It looks serious tool and most lenses look good on it . GH3 may appeal to many but that will be in minority where as a GH3 similar to GH2 with changed ergonomics , WR body and current specifications for video and stills would have been a fav to many over OMD .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    I use my GH2 mainly for video and it looks like the GH3 won't deliver better quality than a hacked GH2 so there's no point in updating.

Anyway, the size factor killed the GH3 for me even for photography as the reason I dumped FF was size and weight. Panasonic still has a good chance with the upcoming GX2, if it has a EVF and better sensor it will fill the gap and sell really well, specially with Olympus holding back the EP5.

9. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I think if the sensor on the GH3 promised an extra stop of performance and an extra bit of dynamic range over the OM-D, the size of the camera wouldn't be an issue.

I also don't think it's "monster". This is what camerasize says:

It is 10-15% bigger in all 3 dimensions. It is definitely bigger, but it is definitely not a monster. Personally, I find the G3 (which in itself is bigger than the base OM-D) too small to handle for long periods of time as I have to pinch it to hold it rather than let it be supported by my fingers.

In fact, if you look at it compared to the OM-D you have:

Yes, it is twice as thick, but it has an integrated flash (which I find useful) and has a better grip and better controls. By the time you add the grip onto the OM-D, there really isn't that much in it...

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm willing to get a GH3 for photos if the sensor performance is there. It is the only thing that matters to me for the camera.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm pretty excited for the GH3. IMHO, it'll be nice to have a good performer and hopefully, unlike the em5, it will work with panasonic lenses like the 7-14 without weird internal reflection that has zero excuse in a thousand dollar camera. Frankly, that internal reflection issue makes the em5 a brick in terms of performance and is completely unacceptable. Panny seems to have it figured out, so I would assume the GH3 won't have that issue either. I also don't care about the aesthetic of a the tool, that has zero signifigance to me.

And lets face it, these camera are not that big at all. It's going to have the same foot print as a film 35mm eos T2 rebel. Even the layout copies that camera which is fine with me. Those were great run around cameras's, nice and easy to use with a full feature set for the time.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Too big for me. Plus, the Oly tradeoffs seem to work better for me than the Pany tradeoffs generally, but even if I was more in the Pany camp, the GH3 is a big camera and that's not what I got into m43 for.

-Ray

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I came to m43 land looking for small size big image. If im going to keep big bodies i would never come here in the first place. For me its simple. if its close or at the same size of a bigger sensor dslr, ill get that for sure.

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Doesn't lens size come into it for you? The "decent" lenses are all double (or moree) the size/weight of their :43: equivalents.

14. I would be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if the GH3 was able to pull numbers as big as those, since that would put it in front of the Sony 16MP APS-C sensor on paper.

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I don't disagree... more that I was saying that if performance was there, I don't think people would be concerned by size. In fact, if performance isn't very close to the OM-D, I don't think size -whether large or small - will be an issue. People won't buy it as a stills camera at that price with a less performant sensor c/w the OM-D. Video: yes, stills: no.

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't think the Nikon D600 is that much larger until you get into the long lenses. The quality is THERE on that one. I'm not interested in that either. Size does matter a lot to some of us. When I first got back into photography about two and a half years ago, I thought about a DSLR but remembered that the size of SLRs were what chased me away many years ago - and those were relatively small, but I still got sick of carrying them around. I went with an EP2 and a few lenses instead in early 2010 and that camera was VERY compromised relative to the larger cameras available at the time. So I was choosing size over a number of quality improvements I could have had, both in operation and IQ. Now the compromises are fewer and smaller as smaller cameras have gotten so much better over the past couple of years. But if I was willing to make the much larger compromises then, I'm DEFINITELY willing to make the much smaller compromises for size today... The D600 and GH3 just aren't on my radar at ALL - the OMD is at my limit and if I could have gotten it in a more EP3 like package, I'd have done that...

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  17. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    It's a much larger system when you want to get into the quality lenses. I have the equivalent of the 14-24 (OK, not 2.8 but it's a landscape lens so ultimate speed isn't an issue), 24-70 and I will get the 70-200 equivalent. From Nikon, those lenses weigh:

14-24: 1kg
    24-70: 0.9kg
    70-200: 1.54kg

The equivalent Panasonic lineup is:

7-14: 0.3kg
    12-35: 0.304kg
    35-100: 0.36kg

And that's without taking into account volumetric size. I could have 2 bodies, all three lenses and carry them about all day for about the same weight as a single FF body with only one of those lenses on. I could probably keep them in the same sized bag too, but I'll have a far more flexible system with me. Image quality will be 95% as good as the full frame body for well exposed images.

Now if you're into a small system with a compact pancake lens, your tradeoffs will be different, but however you look at it, those are pretty big savings...

• Like Like x 2
  18. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I already own the GH2 ( love it) and the Olympus OMD, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface with either of these fine cameras...I still have so much to learn. I am going to learn these two cameras and wait to up-grade to another body....who knows...maybe I can pick up a used GH3 down the line cheaper if that is a direction I want to go.....

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Same reason the G1 failed to excite like the E-P1 did. The PEN system simply takes better advantage of the Micro Four-Thirds ideal. The PEN, like the OM-D, breaks away from old-fashioned DSLRs. That's something to get excited about.

That doesn't mean the G1 or GH3 were or are bad cameras. They just have less to get excited about. I drove my K-cars and other P-body automobiles to death and could always trust and rely on them. They never excited me like my MX-3 or other sporty cars.

• Like Like x 1
  20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I believe that the size of the GH3 is the issue for some folks, but I really think the lack of excitement has to do with comparisons to the E-M5. It was a significant leap forward for the format. I think many folks have fallen into the trap of expecting the same leap with the GH3. And it just doesn't seem to be there.

That doesn't mean the GH3 won't be a great camera, or that many folks won't prefer it to the E-M5. But it does mean that we probably won't see a replay of E-M5 mania. Which really isn't a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.