1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panny vs Oly lens

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Drummer_gal, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Drummer_gal

Drummer_gal Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Need your opinions on the following lenses .. Trying to decide which to keep..

1. Panny 14-42mm kit lens vs Oly 14-42mm kit lens

2. Oly 40-150mm kit lens vs Panny 45-175mm

They will be used with the E-M5 & GX1.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Is this your complete lens collection? If so, I think out of practicality the panny twins would be the better pair, as you gain focal length range. As well you keep the option of stabilization with either body. As far as IQ I can't comment as I've only used the oly 14-42.
    Personally, I have an oly 14-150 to cover that range with one zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    I've also got the Panny 20mm & 14mm.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I'll comment on the alternatives in reverse order:

I agree with Grinch. I'd ditch both and choose the Panny 14-140 because of its phenomenally useful range. You will also have IS on both Panny and Oly bodies.

For anything but very static studio or landscape photography I have found the 90mm (equivalent) "break point" for lens changing to be very inconvenient

The 14-140mm is not the smallest lens, however, hence the next recommendation:

The much-maligned original Oly 14-42 has, IMHO, two very significant advantages: (1) It is by far the most compact of the short zooms and, (2) it is cheap. I bought mine for $65 and it is a great in-the-pocket lens to supplement the 9-18mm that I usually have on my GF1 body. I've taken a few pictures of a lens test chart and decided that the pixel-peepers' bad mouthing of this lens is unimportant to me. I rarely crop and I rarely pixel-peep. I also don't care much about IS for short focal lengths.

As usual, YMMV.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I do agree with both of these comments. Looking at these slow kit-grade lenses, image quality is really not an issue. None of them are significantly better than the others, but all are actually quite sharp albeit quite slow as well. The thing you should be looking for is form factor and versatility, in which case the Lumix 14-140mm superzoom as well as the light, compact, retractable m.Zuiko 14-42mm both fit the bill.

I normally would not suggest a superzoom with any other system, but the Micro Four-Thirds superzooms (both the Lumix 14-140mm and m.Zuiko 14-150mm) are surprisingly sharp for that class of lens. The same could be said for all the kit zooms as well... Even though the Lumix 14-45mm is the one which is touted as the sharpest, all of the 14-42mm including the retractable m.Zuiko 14-42mm are quite sharp and a good step above most of the 18-55mm kit zooms offered by other manufacturers for their APS-C systems.

However, this comment changes things quite a bit:
    Because you have the Lumix 20mm and 14mm, I would actually forgo a zoom in the 14-42mm range, including the superzoom, and consider the m.Zuiko 40-150mm first as a complement to your short, fast primes. It is a very compact lens, and will extend your focal range without adding extra weight for a range which is already covered by faster, sharper lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yeah. Good points. I just hate changing lenses; that's why I gravitate to the 14-140mm. But with two bodies, the OP can have a medium zoom on one and a prime on the other -- assuming she doesn't mind carrying two cameras. And the medium zooms are smaller than the superzoom.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Purely for pragmatic reasons, I'd lean toward the Panasonic options in both cases. Image quality is close enough, but the Panasonic lenses will let you have image stabilization on both bodies, not just on the E-M5.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena

Thanks heaps! and yeah, I wouldn't mind carrying two cameras, especially if it means I don't have to change lenses! :)

9. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    I'm a little confused by this .. "Panasonic lenses will let you have image stabilization on both bodies, not just on the E-M5". So That means just the GX1 then, and not both bodies?

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. 'Both' meaning the E-M5 and the GX1 bodies. With Olympus lenses, you won't have any stabilization on the GX1. With the Panasonic lenses, you will.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Why should you be any different? :)

Panny lenses have stabilization in the lens, Oly has stabilization in the camera body.

• Oly lens on a Panny body, there is no stabilization.
    • Panny lens on Panny body, the lens stabilization operates.
    • Panny lens on Oly body, the lens stabilization is disabled and the body does the stabilization.
    • Oly lens on Oly body, the body does the stabilization.
    So the only "bad" case is Oly lens on Panny body.

At least that is how I understand it. I have Oly and Panny lenses but only Panny bodies. But my Oly lenses are the 9-18mm and the 14-42mm where the focal lengths are short enough that I don't worry much about stabilization.

(The conventional rule is that you can hand-hold down to a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent lens focal length. So 50mm equiv ~ 60th of a second. For myself and being careful, I can go one stop slower. 50mm/30th.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You know, they're all good. I think you might be splitting hairs here. I think if it were me I'd get rid of both kit lenses and grab a Panasonic 14-45 because it is sharper and has IS on the lens that can be switched off if you're using the E-M5. Don't know enough about the 45-175 but I loved my 45-200 (much better than the 40-150 I had) so I might vote for the Panasonic again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Oh I'm so sorry, I've just read this again and realized that I read it totally wrong the first time around - I was probably still half asleep then! Lol! Thanks for your patience and for explaining it again :):)

14. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thank you, that really helps .. Breaking it down that way does help my female brain get around all this info!! :):)

15. Drummer_gal

Mar 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rena
    Thanks! That gives me something else to think about again :)

16. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I would keep the Oly 14-42 as it will focus quicker on the EM5 and also collapses for easier carry.

I would keep the Panasonic 45-175 because of the extra bit of focal length and ability to use IS on the Panasonic, which is more important in longer focal lengths.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Just purchased a Panasonic 45-175mm lens.
    Does the OM-D E-M5 disable the I.S system on the lens ?
    Do other Olympus micro 4/3 thirds camera models also disable this lens, if so which ones ?

18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Yes, all of them. Panasonic IS only works if there is a physical switch.