Panny User Manuals

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Apollo T., Oct 5, 2017.

1. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    I bought a used Panny G6 a few weeks ago. It didn't have a user manual so I bought a bound reprint of Panny's orig- from a 3rd party. What a total waste of $$$.

Someone has suggested that ALL G series cameras are virtually the same with a few additions reflecting the 'new' of later models. In essence whatever we learn about any G series is equal to learning the same thing for ALL G series cameras.

Is this true?
    If I can find a book about GHx or GXx will it teach almost everything I need to learn about setting up and shooting stills with this G6?

THANKS

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I remember when I first purchased my G85, Panasonic support is a lot harder to find than say Olympus.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I do not disagree that Panasonic's websites are pretty awful, I found the file with a Google search in about 2 seconds, and it was the top return. Its always worth a quick search when looking for manuals.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    I said I bought a bound printed version of Panny's manual. Panny's manuals seem to be virtually useless. Someone on another thread said the same thing.

6. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think a lot of manufacturers do not put enough effort into their manuals. They seem to reley on third party instructional material including youtube videos.
    I they could be better and I would like to see manufacturers put out good instructional videos, but I supply they reley on their sponsored youtubers for that.
    Panansonic & Olympus could devote sections in their manuals on how to setup different scenarios and what turns what off and on.
    Having said that I find Panasonic manuals have a slight edge over Olympus, but find Olympus have the edge over Panasonic for their web based support

Oylmpus manuals tend to have functional indexes in the front and the traditional alphabetical indexes in the back, and be in Black & white only.

Panasonic seem to have only functional indexes in the front but clickable hyper links to jump to sections in the manuals, and are in colour.
    The basic manuals do not seem to have the hyper links

7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    What exactly makes them so useless, and are you referring to the basic manual or the advanced manual?

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My guess is the complaint is about how manuals these days strictly tell you how to change setting but often very rarely give you any indication of what those settings do or why you would want to change them.

What does setting something to "normal" do? What does graduation setting actually do specifically? Or if I set this and it is claimed you gain something, at what expense do you gain this?

Also these manuals are often poor at pointing out interactions of certain settings such as setting one thing automatically disabling another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Have you read every page? And while reading tried the setting in your camera?

10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The advanced manuals usually cover this decently, though I would never use a printed version. Downloading the pdf to your computer, tablet, or phone (preferably all 3) is ways faster as you can search the documents.

I think that's an issue with the number of features they have available. If they detailed everything we wouldn't get manuals we'd get encyclopedia sets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    While I agree, the size of the PDF's would be small and they should provide such an option. I presume they have internal design documents describing how menu items / functions interact. Or at least one would hope they do, but one does wonder sometimes.

I have worked in a few R&D companies and documentation is overlooked when deadlines are due, still in development and often not everything is know at release date. I have noticed that Olympus do update their flag ship model manuals every so often, not sure if Panasonic do.

12. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Before we continue along the path of my poor study and learning habits; before we continue dissect the basic vs advanced manual- could we please answer the FIRST quetion.

Are all G series cameras so similar that learning about one model is tantamount too learning the entire G series?

13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    First reply you received was...

This is a generally true of all camera manufacturers. So download the specific manual for your camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm a developer, and we have to walk a fine line. I've had people complain on one project that I didn't give enough documentation. On a different project the exact same people complained I gave them far to much. It's almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

15. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I have owned G1, G5, Gh2, and GX8. I wouldn't depend on any one of those manuals to help with a different model. I prefer the PDF versions because of the searching capability. Much better than the Panny indexes.

16. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    How would Apple design a m43 camera?

17. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't know but don't fancy having to camp out to get one either, but they would probably brick it with a firmware update like they seem to do with older phones:confused:

18. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    what I mean is that if there is a more ergonomic way for a user to access the many functions, Apple would likely find it

we can all be thankful not to have Sonyized menus...

19. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I would have to agree with that.

20. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Manuals are a very difficult product to deliver. Too simple. and those who really understand cameras complain. Too complicated, and the beginners complain that they can't understand it. Panasonic's approach, offering two manuals, should satisfy most. Offering it in PDF made them much better as you can easily and quickly search for any key word or topic. Manual searching 300+ printed pages is insane. Could it be that those who are unhappy with the present offerings have not taken the time to try both manuals?

• Like Like x 1