Real Name
Rick
Lumix Pro

requirement:

2 current Lumix Professional Camera Bodies
(G85, G9, GH4, GH5, GH5s)

+4 Lumix lenses
(see full list of qualifying lenses).

I notice the 100-400 is on the qualifying lens list. Does this mean they are actually going to service these?

It's been a while, but IIRC, the story was that they only serviced them in Japan, and that (at least under warranty) they sent you a replacement lens "as a courtesy" so you wouldn't have to wait an eternity for the slow boat to Japan and return. No idea what happens after warranty or if it is "your fault". I hope for the best :)

$199 for one year a bit steep vis-a-vis Olympus ($199 for 2 years), but OTOH they cover overnight shipping both ways for up to 2 shipments, so that must be considered- it isn't cheap to ship insured (I'm thinking $30-40). I also think the Olympus deal is for two bodies/lenses (not 2+2) a year, so that would more than level the field. If you have two bodies and don't need lens service, you wind up with more coverage than you need. Maybe you send in the 100-400 twice a year :)

I also think there were to be several tiers, so that might be a more suitable/reasonable option coming (tho the rollout seems to be on the slow side). In any event, good to see this type of option being available.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Panasonic is really going all in with the Pro focus, definitely needed to have the S line taken serious. I'm honestly kind of surprised they are just now investing this much into the camera market given the overall decline.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'm one body, one lens, and $199/year short of being a pro.

But for full-time pros, this seems like a good idea.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
They should service for all their customers. I wonder how many lens sales they have lost to forum people who question the repairabilty of their pro lenses ?

davidzvi

Real Name
David
They've only announced the details on the platinum level. The article over on DPReview mentions 4 different levels,have to see what the others are. But it seems like a sign they're moving toward better options for servicing their pro offerings. I know it's one of the reasons I went E-M1 mkII + O12-100 instead of G9 + PL12-60, it's not the only reason and I probably would have still picked Olympus, but it was a check in the "CONS" column. I do have the PL8-18. It's also a BIG reason why I haven't even tried to justify the PL50-200.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I guess Panasonic doesn't think their S1 or S1R are "professional" cameras...

FWIW, Olympus' PRO service is $199 for two years, and you only need to have one "pro" body and two PRO or Premium lenses. Half the price, half the gear requirements, and pretty similar benefits.

EDIT: Wow, getting Olympus PRO service is pretty damn simple. You can get it with the E-M5 as your camera (yes, the original E-M5), and any two of the f/1.8 primes as your lenses.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lumix Pro

requirement:

2 current Lumix Professional Camera Bodies
(G85, G9, GH4, GH5, GH5s)

+4 Lumix lenses
(see full list of qualifying lenses).

I notice the 100-400 is on the qualifying lens list. Does this mean they are actually going to service these?
If you read the most current info, you’ll see that all the talk about not being able to service the 100-400 was not accurate. The misinformation stems from collateral internal damage caused by dropped or broken lens mounts. When the mount broke and the lens fell, the lens sustained additional internal damage for which the cost to repair the lens could easily exceed the cost of a new lens, not to mention the time it could take. To provide a fast turnaround, in such cases the lens was replaced – a faster and more cost-effective response. Regarding the alleged lack of parts, the lens mount was intentionally restricted to Panasonic’s service facility because when it’s replaced the realignment must be done with a special instrument that makes sure it’s perfectly parallel to the image sensor. If you replace the mount without this alignment, edge and corner focus will be off. No do-it-yourself repairs in such cases.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
To elaborate, here's the response Panasonic gave when asked about lens parts and repair ... I used some of their text below to post the previous comments.

"Certain lens parts, especially lens mounts, are not available because their replacement involves more than simply replacing the damaged part. When a lens sustains physical trauma to the extent that parts were physically damaged, in most cases internal collateral damage has also occurred. The lens needs to be evaluated to determine the extent of the damage. If no internal damage has occurred the lens mount by itself can be replaced. However, this also requires a mechanical alignment of the lens mount to insure the lens is perfectly perpendicular to the camera body, using specialized equipment that is only available at our factory service center.”

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
So both Olympus and Panasonic are selling what is basically an extended warranty and calling it Pro Service.

A far cry from true pro service where you're required to provide credentials. From what I can see Nikon still have free service for pros and Canon have multiple levels of support some of which you are required to pay for.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
So both Olympus and Panasonic are selling what is basically an extended warranty and calling it Pro Service.

A far cry from true pro service where you're required to provide credentials. From what I can see Nikon still have free service for pros and Canon have multiple levels of support some of which you are required to pay for.
Extended warranties, overnight shipping, expedited repairs, loaner equipment in the case of repair time > 3 days, free clean & checks of equipment, discount on out-of-warranty repairs, priority phone support.

But yeah, "basically an extended warranty"...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
You should be able to get any pro lens serviced without a "pro agreement" Olympus will repair theirs, but currently it is not clear for Panasonic.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick

To qualify for NPS or CPS is no easy matter, either in terms of the volume of pro equipment needed or your true credentials. You really have to be a working photographer to qualify, not just owning pro gear. Neither Olympus nor Panasonic have that requirement. Cleaning an IBIS sensor is no simple matter (despite youtube), and getting that job done on a regular sensor at the local camera store runs $60-70 (they won't touch IBIS, tho being Nikon dealers that may change at least for Nikon). With Olympus, two bodies and sensor cleanings is cheaper than the Pro membership.

Palmor

Mu-43 Regular
That’s not what “pro service” is about. Read the benefits of enrollment on the pages provided.

This!

Maybe people are confused because the list of equipment requirements are there. The Pro Service is not about fixing those cameras/lenses listed for people who pay to be in the service... those are the requirements before you can pay to be in the service. Canon and Nikon have similar restrictions for their pro services as well.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I need a "lowly amateur" service plan. Basically a hotline # that you can call in to with concerns about your gear and they just say "The camera (or lens) is fine, but you suck. Get some skills - you'll take better photos."
Hopefully that won't cost $199/year.

Palmor

Mu-43 Regular
I need a "lowly amateur" service plan. Basically a hotline # that you can call in to with concerns about your gear and they just say "The camera (or lens) is fine, but you suck. Get some skills - you'll take better photos."
Hopefully that won't cost $199/year.

That is called tech support :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom