panny pancake me pick

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by powderbanks, Jan 7, 2013.

1. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    so i'm looking to get one of the panasonic pancake lenses to use with my gh2. i'm leaning towards the 14mm/2.5 because i think i had read that the autofocus for that one was a bit faster and quieter. i'm planning on using it for obviously wide angle shots, but mostly as an alternative to always having the 14-42 kit lens on; especially for skate footage (i know a fisheye would be better, but i'll get more use from a prime). because i'll be using it for skateboarding, quicker autofocus is a bit more important. so, what say you m4/3 users, which is the better buy? the 20mm/1.7 or the 14mm/2.5? i also do more video than stills, so if anyone has experience with them for video, and if one performs better than the other (aside from the obvious speed difference), that'd be helpful.

and i suppose i should list my lenses to give you an idea what i'm already working with:

panasonic 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 kit lens
    toyo fd 28mm/2.8
    canon fd 50mm/1.8
    makinon fd 135mm/2.8
    smc takumar m42 55mm/1.8
    cctv c mount 25mm/1.4
    cctv c mount 25mm/1.2
    c mount 2.8mm/2.2 (barely usable, but fun nonetheless)
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    The 20mm is louder and slower focus - if you're going to be filming skate footage you'd definitely want as wide as possible (also, have you considered that with a fisheye like the rokinon/samyang you basically don't have to focus?) Anyway, between the 14mm and 20mm you've got about 1 stop of light but since you've got the gh2 it is a reasonably good low light performer so that wouldn't concern me. The 20mm is an excellent all-around, only lens with out kind of lens and I would recommend it to most people, but given your intended purpose (of those two) I would pick the 14mm.

Back to the fisheye, seriously, why not? Actually wait...I forgot about this, might want to check it out - it is made to work with both the kit lens and the 14mm: Panasonic DMW-GFC1 Fisheye Conversion Lens with Adaptor Ring for H-PS14042 and H-H014: Camera & Photo

I normally wouldn't ever recommend an adapter like that, but if you know it will only get limited use, and the fact that it is an OEM product, it might be worth a try - gets good reviews at amazon.
  3. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    the reason i'm not really leaning towards a fisheye is because the skate stuff i do shoot isn't all that frequent. the fisheye is really just going to be used for skate footage, nothing else; while a pancake prime, i can keep on the camera at almost all times; and since i rarely even use the zoom on the kit lens (usually switch to one of the fd primes), i like the idea of a smaller form factor as well.

until the rokinon m4/3 fisheye, the only one actual fisheye lens (not an adapter) was the panny one..which is something like $800. i'm going to have to check out that fisheye adapter though. i could use it on the kit lens and keep OIS, the pancake for other stuff, and if the kit lens gets a board to the face, it's not a total disaster