1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny/Lumix 14-42 G-X PZ Vario Pancake?..

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have been thinking about buying this new lens.. it's one of the new Kit lenses that come with some of the new Panny's.. ie.. (sells by itself for $399) GF3 and GX1.. how does it compare to the standard Lumix Kit 14-42 OIS and the old but good Lumix 14-45?.. I like it because of the Pancake configuration.. although it has power zoom rather than manual zoom if that makes a difference.. but mainly interested in IQ vs the others.. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I need your opinions..
    Thanks in advance..
    Doug

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's another 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens... do you really expect any real change in IQ? They're all so alike, I wouldn't even bother comparing. ;)

I think you'll find a MUCH greater difference in the handling and build of the lens. It's obviously MUCH smaller... but then it has a power zoom instead of a zoom ring. More importantly, in my eye... it has a power rocker switch for FOCUS, not just zoom! I've tried it before and I will tell you that it's as useless for manual focus as it sounds. Consider this to be an AF-only lens (like the Nikkor 1 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 power zoom pancake of similar design, which doesn't even pretend to have a manual focus option).

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Another bout of GAS building up, Mr. Doug? Why don't you buy it and try it and see if you like it? :wink:

4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes I should .. the GAS is building..but I thought I should get some other opinions before I let the GAS take over.. :smile:

5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi Ned.. I just hear by some the 14-45 is one of the best Kit Lens ever.. and want to hear other opinions.. the 14-45 is very good I must say. I have one.. I also hear the 14-42 x is better than the 14-45.. just checking OP thoughts and experiences..

6. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Hmmm... I seem to have heard otherwise - I just can't remember for the life of me where I read it. If I recall correctly, some reviewers said that the IQ of the power zoom was much softer at the Tele end (42mm) compared to the older 14-42 (or 14-45)...

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ya, I heard that as well a couple of times.. but don't really know if that is true and accurate..

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If you do get one, you might want to stock up on batteries as well, I'm guessing it'll drain all the juice a lot quicker.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not really. The 14-45 is generally better. But I can't stick the camera with a 14-45 mounted in my coat-pocket. The 14-42X has the same profile as the 20/1.7 pancake.

If you need something that can fit in a large pocket, get the 14-42X. If not, stick with the 14-45.

DH

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Doug, Buy it! Try it out. Decide for yourself, then sell one or the other. We need you to help maintain a healthy used market!

Seriously, only go for it if you're interested in the size. Unless you're printing really big or shooting test targets, I doubt you'll notice a difference between any of the normal range zooms.

Fred

• Like Like x 3