Panny lenses on Olympus? Any concerns?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by makoti, Oct 12, 2012.

1. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I recently made the plunge & got a used em-5, but am still very much the noob.
    I bought two lenses, 12 & 45, both Olympus. I was thinking about adding the Panny 25 or 20 at some point soon.
    Is there any concern with using this on the Olympus? I know they are designed to work together. But the systems focus differently, correct? In body vs. on lens?
    I read the thread about the Oly locking up, thinking that may have something to do with cross lens use, but it didn't appear to be so.
    So long question short: Can I use the Panasonic lenses on the Olympus without a problem or is there something I'm missing? Does it focus as quickly?
    Thanks, and if this has been covered extensively, my apologies.
  2. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I have the Panasonic 20mm and it works just fine on the E-M5. It's a great lens, but it is slower focusing and has a louder focusing mechanism than any of my Olympus lenses.
  3. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I have a Panny 14mm 2.5. It work pretty good on EPL1 and EPM1. But sometimes there are distortion on the Jpegs. Which can be corrected in software. Its not really notice except in certain circumstances. 1% or 2 % of
    the time depending on the photo/enviroment. Then you have to use software to
    fix it.
  4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, no... that is not focus you're thinking of, that's Image Stabilization. All Olympus bodies feature In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) which works on every lens you mount onto it, whereas Panasonic bodies do not. As a result, Panasonic bodies require the lens to have Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) or you will not receive the benefits of IS (which is okay too... we got along fine without it for decades and decades). So naturally, Panasonic makes lenses with OIS but Olympus does not.

Since your body is Olympus, you have no worries - you have the choice to use IBIS on any lens you choose, whether it has OIS or not. If your lens has OIS though, then you will have to turn one of them off or the two IS systems will fight each other and worsen your image. On some newer Panasonic lenses, their OIS is now automatic and has no on/off switch. In those cases, your OM-D will automatically switch the OIS off for you, leaving its own 5-axis IBIS on.

There are advantages to OIS such as a stabilized view in the viewfinder (making composition easier), but little to no advantage in the actual image (maybe with a very slight edge in telephoto). However, with the new 5-axis IBIS of the E-M5, I doubt you'll want to go backwards to OIS again. Nobody else has a 5-axis IS system, neither in-body nor optical. In fact, the E-M5 even offers a stabilized viewfinder preview, just like using OIS. Biggest advantage though, is that this IBIS system works on any lens you attach, including old lenses that were made long before IS existed.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ned. thanks for your comments on IS and OIS. I have used an EP-2 and more recently the GH2 with both Oly and Pana lenses with no compatability problems. I have also used 4/3 lenses with the Pana 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor with full auto control of focus and aperture. I am about to receive my new OM-D and really look forward to the 5-axis IS. The only incompatibility problems I have relate to the Kenko 10 and 16mm extension tubes. The EP-2 just doesn't register it has a lens, and the Pana/Leica 45mm macro can only work with one ring at a time [10 or 16mm but not both together] — I was hoping to go super macro, but have to limit myself to 16mm added on. However, the Pana 100-300 will cope with both tubes and gives a great close-to-macro rendering. The tubes also work with my legacy Leica and Canon rf lenses with a Leica M to m43 adaptor. The premium with OIS is in the cost of each lens... having the IS in the body is, as Ned says, so much easier all round. When will Panasonic catch up? Thanks again.
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think Ned's points are good. Look at my sig below - I cheerfully mix and match and have not had problems. There is, however, a thread with approximately 3 trillion posts in it on another forum that looks like its majority concensus is that you can't use Panny lenses on Oly bodies, especially the OM-D. :rolleyes:
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think the chatter issue is limited to the 25/1.4? There were some banding issues with the 20/1.7, but later firmware may have corrected that?
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Practically all lenses will exhibit CA on Oly bodies since they don't correct it like Panasonic does.

Fixed it for ya.

(My argument here is that the availability of in-body CA correction is more of a difference than IBIS vs OIS)
  10. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Helps a lot.
    -Ned: Thanks for clearing that up for me. Yes, IS, not focus, was what I had heard about. I remember now something about having to turn off one of them. I expect that is in the manual somewhere. And just to be clear - I have a couple of older OM lenses. The IS on the OM-D will work with those, correct?
    -jnewell & dornblaser : "Chatter"? Not sure what that is. The 25/1.4 is actually the one I would be most interested in. Can you (or someone) clear up what that is? I had heard of the banding, but thought that was a low light, very high ISO issue.
    Thanks again, all. Very helpful place, this is. :biggrin:
  11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Hi Ned, it's a bit of a waste to put extension tubes on a telephoto. They're not particularly useful for longer lenses.

Cambridge Colour has a really helpful discussion of how to get the most out of tubes and other accessories:
    Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yup, which is why I have decided to in the Oly ecosystem until Oly offers a solution. I know that LR an remove (most) of the CA but I use Aperture plus I have an issue with having to take the extra steps when it should be avoidable in the first place.
  13. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Hi Ned,

I am new to the OMD and this is the first time I have read that the OMD IBIS will shut off the Panasonic IOS. Everything else I have read online says OMD IBIS needs to be turned off. Can you point me to more info?

Yesterday I received a new Lumix GX 45-175mm lens (without a on/off IOS switch) and shot with it this morning. After reading your comments I left the IBIS on. Almost of of the still subjects were focused properly, however the 4 shots I took of moving subjects, a very slow moving plane and 3 birds hopping around, were out of focus, even though I got a lock (SA-F mode, single target).

Before I had a chance to turn off the IBIS and try IOS only, the battery died after 39 shots. The battery meter showed 3 green bars when I started and this is the 2nd time I have gotten less than 50 shots on a supposedly full Olympus battery. VERY FRUSTRATING! But that is for another post...

14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Lens chatter is a feature. It tells me I'm in the wrong mode and should switch back to Aperture priority. :p

No problems mix and matching lens vendors here. 1st party support is always desirable but Olympus and Panasonic is both 1st party in this system.
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have two OM-D's and use these Pany lenses:

7-14 = significant CA when shooting into a light source;
    14-42 = no problems whatsoever;
    45-200 = no problems whatsoever;
    100-300 = no problems whatsoever;
    14mm = no problems whatsoever;
    20mm = no problems whatsoever; and
    25mm = no problems whatsoever.

16. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    That's correct but that's due to the lens being a bit older, not because it is used on an Olympus body.
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    CA is a complete and utter non-issue if you shoot RAW. Which remains the best way to get the most out of your pictures.
  18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    CA is still a concern. This thread, while about a different lens, is interesting. While the 7 - 14 seems to be the worst Panny/OMD combo for CA you still read too many posts about the 25 and 12 - 35 as well. I wish Oly would fix the problem.
  19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Depends on which RAW developer you use. As mentioned above, Aperture does not correct it very well.

There are some significant downsides to RAW also, and for some of us, those are bigger deal breakers than the "improvement" in image quality (much of which is negated by spending time setting up the in-camera JPG engine to your liking, to do what you do in the RAW developer anyways)

Back away from the RAW vs JPG debate, I would still contend that that the manufacturers (particularly the lens hardware manufacturers) have more data available to them to do CA correction properly than a third-party software developer will have.
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That's not CA - that's flare due to internal reflection between the sensor's coating and the rear element of the lens. As such, it's an issue not with Olympus bodies in general, but only with the new generation of Olympus bodies with 16Mp sensors (e.g. the E-P3, E-PM1 and older have no such issue).