Panny/Leica 45mm 2.8 question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fastcar888, Apr 8, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Based on my recent experience, this is an outstanding "head shot" lens. After looking at various photos in Flickr, many of the pictures are macro or landscape. I just don't get it. Why are there so few portraits with this lens?

The 85mm Nikon, 90 mm Leica and 105mm Nikon are all head shot lenses. It is a great range.

The Panasonic /Leica 45mm 2.8 has, in my opinion, sufficient separation for terrific "head shots." Can someone please enlighten me why there are not more portraits taken with this lens? It just may be the one of the best (if not the best) MFT lenses around. Thank you.:smile:

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Well it is primarily a macro lens. And as you say its a great lens and lends itself to all sorts of uses. I use mine mainly for landscape and architecture. But then I also use my Nikon 85mm and Leica 90mm for that too.

I'm sure however if you hang on a while a few portraits will start to appear.

3. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
  5. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    How much do these lens cost?

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Sometimes portraits are just too personal to post and share with the world... Some of my photographer friends won't post many portraits without consent from the subject/client. Not everyone wants their face on the interweb...

Not cheap, but by all accounts it is worth every penny (if you have need of a tack sharp native macro lens or moderately fast portrait lens that AFs on m43 bodies). $800 USD at B&H.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In the heyday of reviews claiming it wasn't deserving of the price, there were a lot of them available in the $600 range.

Now that people are realizing how good it really is, seems there are less and less for sale...

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree and use this as an all-around general use 45mm lens. I shoot many more portraits with it than I do macros.

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Same as Amin.....more portraits than macro. For many, the 20/1.7 is their "walkaround" lens. I like to be a step or two further back. It pretty much stays glued on the camera.

R

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I keep waiting for a 50mm macro from Oly, but I am cracking slowly, as there's no Oly to be seen, and this Panny looks pretty nice!

11. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    After checking out a few retailers, all of whom were charging +$800 plus for this lens, I decided to poke around eBay. I managed to purchase one from a guy in Alaska for $635 plus shipping of $40. It's quickly becoming my favorite lens.