1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by KVG, Aug 25, 2011.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I just learned of this lens yesterday and was told with the adapter everything works, so why is it that I never have heard of people using the Leica D 14-50/2.8-3.5 4/3. Is it any good?

US_PCZA1450.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. yuro

yuro New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2010
    Dublin, California
    I have this lens and use it with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter.

On the GF1, This does not Auto Focus. I stopped right there and then put it and kept it on my GH2, which auto focuses great. I should say, that the AF on this is slow. The closest I can compare it to would be a Canon 5Dmk2 w/ 24-105mm f/4 lens slow. Some people consider that fast, but of all the m43 lenses I've tried, it's the slowest.

Now, with that out of the way, quality of the images are stunning! The lens itself has a beautiful build quality to them and it gives me video and photos that extra zing of professionalism.

Sadly, that has made me want to go into full frame video and I am now going to be selling this on.

Now the lens we should really talk about is the does-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink is the Panny Leica 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Supposedly it's slow as hell...perhaps even by 43 adapted standards.

4. yuro

yuro New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2010
    Dublin, California
    For the record, the fastest AF lens I've tried is the Panasonic 14-140mm "HD" lens. Mind-numbingly quick and completely silent while AFing.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you had met up with me instead of going to the hockey game when I was in Calgary, you could have tried it LOL

Image quality is pretty good, nothing exceptional IMHO. It does not AF on the GF1 but I tried it on the G3 and it does - albeit slowly. It felt exactly the same as the original Oly zoom on the EPL1. The MF and zoom rings though are well damped and a joy to use.

It's a pretty big lens.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I was told it was the be all end all at a camera shop yesterday and that sound like it was and exaggeration for sure. Sorry tc it was the finals:2thumbs: Would you belive I have lived in Calgary 13yrs and still haven't been in the Calgary tower:frown:

7. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Leica panasonic 14-50

I just got one with the adapter for my G3. Focusing is kinda wierd, it hunts a bit but I can't comment on images as I have not shot any of note.
    I think I will enjoy it as it is all one needs for a walk about lens.

8. The durian of lenses: IQ like heaven, AF like hell (and not at all on the 1-series Pannys).

It is a giant lens like tc says - about the same size as a Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 IS despite the variable max aperture and smaller image circle.

???? Unless the 5DII takes 10x longer to focus the 24-105 lens than any other Canon digital, I think this may be an exaggeration.

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    You should post some shots up :^)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

10. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    The Leica 14-50 F3.5 lens from the L10 is another one to look out for, not quite as good as the F2.8 one (From the L1) but an outstanding lens in it's own right + it will AF on ALL m43 bodies and focusing is quite fast, I use one on my GF1 and it makes for a great combo.

11. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The four Panasonic four-thirds lenses (25mm f/1.5, 14-50mm f/2.8-3.3, 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6 and 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6) are all very good and the three zooms are indeed some of the best digital zooms made. As has been mentioned, they all, apart from the 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6, struggle with AF on any m4/3 camera. The 14-50mm f/2.8-3.3 doesn't even AF on Panasonic GF1, GH1 etc.

However when you put them up against prime lenses like the Olympus 12mm f/2, 25mm f/1.4 and 45mm f/2.8, you begin to see their limitations. It will be interesting to see just how good the new Panasonic X zooms are in comparison.

If you fancy trying one without paying a fortune, copies of the 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6 can be found at reasonable prices. As Howi said, its not as fast as the f/2.8 but optically its just as good and the AF is reasonably speedy. It will give better results than any of the Panasonic and Olympus kit lenses, but by how much you think this is, depends on how critical you are.

There is also the fact that the slow performance of three of these lenses means that the shot may have disappeared before the lens is in focus, and no matter how good the optical quality if that happens, then the lens becomes a liability and not an aid.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Has anyone compared this with the Oly Zuiko ED 12-60mm f2.8-4 on a m4/3 body?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    The 12-60 is a super lens but has some issues on m43, will AF on Oly bodies but is slow, won't AF on older Pany bodies G1 GF1 etc so MF only, but will AF on newer G bodies.

14. Just for lolz

IMG_6237.