1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panny "Intelligent Exposure" Testing??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldracer, Jul 7, 2011.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Taking another cruise through my G1 manual, I have gotten interested in the "Intelligent Exposure" mode. Three modes, actually.

From Panny videos and a few Google searches, I have not found much information beyond the fact that this mode is intended to brighten dark areas, particularly in backlit situations. From experimenting, I can see the effect but it is subtle -- too subtle IMHO to need three different level settings.

My tentative conclusion is to just leave it on, set to the highest level. But I am wondering whether anyone here has seriously investigated these modes and can contribute a more thoroughly informed opinion.

TIA

2. theunartist

theunartist Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's a decent link with info which you might have already seen: DMC-FZ35/DMC-FZ38 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global at the bottom...

The thing that can be bad by leaving it on the highest setting is possible over or under exposure on your main subject, since through the explanation, I.Exposure will detect and compensate for darker or lighter areas of a photo by compensating the exposure. Personally, I use manual lenses with manual focusing and aperture, so I don't think it works in this instance, so I just turn it off.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That is some of the material that I have seen. I am looking for someone who has actually done some testing or has experience with this mode.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've tested it some on my G2. It only kicks in when there are large areas of both very bright and very dark. Then it brings up the darker area some depending on what level is set.

Fred

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, Fred. After your testing, what was your conclusion? Do you leave that mode set? What level?

In principle it seems like getting a little more detail in the blacks is A Good Thing. After all, one can knock it back down in a photo editor if it's too much. At least that's my tentative conclusion.

For all the serious-sounding folks here, I am surprised that there are not more who have explored this mode. Unlike some of the goofier features in these cameras, this one seems like it may be useful.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are several reports on here of it increasing shadow noise, which is already a problem with our cameras