1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panny GX1 .. how long to write to card !!!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Judderman62, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    I have oft thought that M43 just isn't really a true competitor for the DSLR ...I still think this.

I bought the GX1 for general photogaphy and maybe a bit of street photography if I can summon the courage to go for street.

Yesterday I decided to take it Urban exploring ...after 3 shots I asked my friend for the keys to his car, took the Panny back and grabbed my Canon 500D.

I was in a chapel - all windows metal sheeted and very, very little light coming in. Took a shot with some light painting with a torch - 20 second exposure.

How long did it take to write the shot to card ? ...errr 20 seconds what now ? 20 seconds !!!!

I guess I wont be using the GX1 for long exposure shots again - leave it at home when out Urban Exploring .

Is this common to M43 cameras ?

Shooting in RAW by the way

2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I'm not familiar with the GX1, but many times cameras do an additional black exposure of equal duration to subtract out noise from the captured long exposure.

3. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    If you have [LONG SHTR NR] switched [ON], yes and also to 4/3 Panasonic and Olympus cameras.
    Page 143 of the manual explains this. Time to get familiar with your tool.. :smile:

Have fun.

4. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    cheers guys

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

Yep - this is long shutter noise reduction. Same feature exists on the 500D also.

I leave it on myself; it takes twice as long for an exposure, but it also cuts down on sensor noise in dark areas. If you plan on doing a lot of long exposure shots you may wish to try it with and without before deciding you definitely want it off. May or may not matter for 20sec exposures versus longer ones but it's probably worth a test or two.

Good luck, have fun with the GX1 :smile:

6. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    thanks for that