Panny GH3 Vs OMD - Interesting comparason here :)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    I just came across this interesting comparasion between OMD and GH3. Both are exellent cameras and Panny and Oly has done a wonderful job . Enjoy reading this and remember we are so lucky to have such a wide choice of camera bodies which come in so many different sizes and shapes starting from EPL1- GH3 .We can pick and choose according to our likes and dislikes . Well done POLY( Panasonic and OLympus :wink:).Its just a physical comparsion which may be important to many. As far IQ goes , I dont think we can go wrong in MFT these days .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    Panasonic Lumix GH3 vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Comparison

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    The GH3 seems like it's a really, really good camera; a worthy successor to the GH2. IQ looks great.

The comparison photos also make it clear just how much larger it is than the OM-D.

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Have to say, the more I see, the more I like.... (although you can judge nothing by the JPEG files as they've been resized). The iamges do look nice from the OM-D though (and better than those from the pre-prod JPEGs from the GH3 - but we know that means nothing...).

4. Bhupinder2002

That is the whole purpose of this comparasion . A very nice comparasion indeed. It offers a better video if someone likes to shoot videos .IQ will be at par and its not at all a concern anymore IMHO .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. Bhupinder2002

Exactly , pre production and not a fair comparasion .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Assuming that it is the same sensor....

I just need to see some dynamic range tests and I'll be sold (along with the 35-100). :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Lol..Be prepared as my gut feeling is that Sony is having a gala time in selling sensor to everyone except Canon.I reckon DR will be the same as well . I can see a big HOLE in ur pocket man.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I'll still have some left over from the sale of the Canon gear :biggrin: maybe a O75 is on the list :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It would be nice to see a comparison with the OM-D with horizontal grip. I think the difference would not seem so great.

And as interested as I am in this camera, judging IQ from down sized jpegs on a pre-production camera doesn't tell me a lot.

10. Bhupinder2002

I am also thinking of getting OLy 75 1.8 , I have just sold my Oly 12-50 kit lens and purchased Oly 4/3 14-54 mm MrkII lens. I was lusting for this lens since long .Lets hope it performs well.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. Bhupinder2002

Yes...doesnt shed any light on IQ but I dont think it will be anything less than OMD .
    cheers

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sizewise, the GH3 looks perfectly proportional to the Pana 12-35 zoom and PL25. Very harmonious appearance.

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, clearly bigger than the OM-D, but, as you say, nicely proportioned. Will be even better with a 35-100 on :biggrin:

14. Bhupinder2002

YES .looking better now . Bring it on Panny ..Please offer USD 100 discount on 1000 posts on this forum here . Panny offers 100 dollar off if u like FB page and we waste so many pages here and they dont care ..:mad::mad::mad:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

15. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Looks like a tempting offer from Panasonic, although I still favour the OM-D given it's at least £200 cheaper, has in built IS, is smaller and I'm not that into video. Even so, what great times it is to be in to m43.

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Eh, I'm quite turned off by the GH3's humongo size. But I guess it looks more 'pro' now...

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol. The more "pro" my photography, my skills, my business, and my equipment got, the smaller my camera bodies became. Disregarding the film era but fast forwarding to the digital era that is. Starting with big "pro-grade" DSLRs, then to the original mid-sized Pen series (ie, the E-P1), and now to a number of Minis - one for each camera bag. As a professional, I've never had more capable equipment as I do now, and my studio has never been as well-stocked and established. Not saying that the equipment makes the photographer, but since we're talking gear that's been my experience...

The size of my light and lens setups however, hasn't changed much... :/

• Like Like x 2
  18. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    I'm there with mf100, built in image stabilization just seems like such an intrinsically better solution. The only reason I'm considering a different format (currently using a Canon 550D) is for reduced size and weight & I don't shoot much video (though I'd really like a built in Mic jack for when i do)

Still saving up & waiting for an om-d mk2 so I can get the om-d on the cheap(er).

Ed

• Like Like x 1
  19. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Here's hoping there's a way to get Olympus colors out of Panasonic RAW files.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    LOL Ned I was being sarcastic. I agree with you completely. It just seems Panasonic is targeting the GH3 squarely at the video crowd.