Panny GF6? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MrDoug, Jun 11, 2014.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi ALL... I have been AWOL for awhile and have been looking and shopping for some new small Cams .. I saw and fondled the GF6 in a Portland, Ore camera store and liked it.. I have the GF3 and like it as well.. I don't see much information about the GF6 on this Forum.. am I looking in wrong place or is it just not something you folks are not interested in, or not a good camera? WhatsUp with that camera? All opinions Pos/Neg welcome and appreciated.. :smile: I just bought a EPL5 and still have my OMD original..
  2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    This place is pretty Olympus-centric; try the DPReview forums. I can’t speak for the GF6, but I love my GF5 — so much that I kept it over the much-lauded E-PM2. It’s just plain fun to shoot with.

The GF line is almost certainly dead and I’m not sure if the GF6 sold that well (which I believe says more about the market than the performance of the cameras). Plus it’s the 5th iteration of the GF line so there just isn’t a whole lot more to say than what was covered back when the GF1, 2, and 3 were released.

On paper, its major pros are the Panasonic UI, articulated LCD, screen quality, and smallish size. Its major con is that the sensor doesn’t perform as well as other 16MP sensors on DXOMark (but it’s better than your GF3).
  3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I thought it had same sensor as GX1... ?? I get confused... Straighten me out.. Thanks
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think it is the same sensor as the GX1. Not as good as the current generation, but just a tiny bit behind. All the sensor improvements have been incremental for a while. You also get wifi/nfc connectivity with the smartphone app (the iPhone version is pretty good), full HD video, and tilting EVF. I think its pretty good,but its been kind of overshadowed by the GM1, which has all those features (except tilt screen) plus a current generation sensor, better video, and is really really tiny ( I mean REALLY tiny). I would imagine it might have other advantages as well, but this is just off the top of my head. I know recently there have been some very deep discounts on the GF6, but If the GM1 is not out of your price range, you might want to look at that one as well.
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    IIRC GF6 was primarily an Asian release, and was never publicly distributed in the US. May explain the lack of information.
  6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The GF6 has the same sensor as the GX1 and G3, it is certainly a step up from the GF3. The problem is now that most places in the world, the Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5 are now cheaper and some people see that the Olympus's have hotshoes and accessories ports to mount flashes, radio triggers and EVF's. That is a deal breaker for alot of people and plus the fact they have the same sensor as the OMD EM5.
    If Panasonic sold it with a hotshoe and accessory port to take their LVF2 and used the same sensor as the G5/G6 cameras and kept the price the same, it might of sold more.
    Don't let that put you of though, I use to have a GF3 myself and I found it a fun camera to use, the GF6 has a better sensor and the flip up screen too, plus a whole host of other improvements, also the newer 14-42 MkII lens is a lot better than the older 14-42 lens Panasonic use to supply.
  7. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The reason this camera never caught on is it's got so much in common with the GX1, and that camera got heavily discounted (came down to $200 new IIRC) at a time the GF6 was $600. Now, the GF6 may have come down in price but the competing EPM2 has already been discounted down to an uber-bargain too.

So it just had pretty poor timing all around. And honestly, being followed up by the G6, GX7, GM1 and GH4, all of which are terrific cameras, who was going to pay the GF line much attention?
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think the answer boils down to; if you find a really good deal on the GF6, it's a good un'. But it would have to be a significant deal.

Incidentally, which camera store were you in? I'm trying to figure out all the places in Portland, I know of two so far... it's hard when you live four hours away :p
  9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for all replies. The stores in Portland, Oregon are Pro Camera and Camera World. I looking hard at GM1..
  10. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    The gf6 is feature packed and the screen is very sharp and sturdy. I like the bounce able built in flash as well. It has a PASM dial and adjustments are very intuitive.

But I sold it to acquire some if the features of the gx7 ..barring my standard gear acquisition syndrome the gf6 would have been fine.

I recently purchased an oly epm2 for portability. Its a nice second camera, and a bit sharper, but the gf6 offered so much more control and would be a better camera if you were to own just one.
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Okay, I know 'em both. Camera World is a pretty cool place. They definitely sold me the Olympus automatic lens cap that I didn't even know existed ;)
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    GM1 is pretty awesome. If I didn't want an EVF, it would have been first choice.
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh my goodness..look who is back:smile: Welcome MrDough:smile::smile::smile: How are u ? How is life? Where u have been?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
  15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Nothing up with the camera, can't be any real diffence to an older GH1, which was acrash hot camera when it came out. If you like the lack of evf in exchange for compact it should be just fine. Sure can't be much worse than my GF1. The whole itty-bitty teeny-weeny thing goes out the window as soon as you use anything other than a pancake lens anyway.

My view is that they are all good and people like to argue the toss on the 1% issues which they will pay double the price for, while pretty much all the micro43 stuff is great.

I'm still happy with my GH1 and have tried E-M5 and GH3 and don't really see outstanding benefits. As it is i take my GH1 places where the fusspots who wont change a lens in the field for fear of dust would probably have a fit over.

When it dies I'll get another one or perhaps a GH2

16. mossback

mossback New to Mu-43

May 23, 2011
    Re: PannyGF6? Any Good?

The GF6 is a solid little camera that's capable to taking excellent pictures. Unfortunately, it was, in my opinion, initially priced too high. That, combined with a dearth or any really definitive new features, caused initial sales to be somewhat slack. The sales picture worsened when prices on the Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL2 fell sharply, and went downhill even further with the introduction of Panasonic's brilliant GM1.

The GF6 is nicely built and quite stylish, but is both heavier and slightly larger than the GF3 and GF5. Sadly, it is not really pocketable, although it is quite compact.The camera features an excellent tilting LCD screen and an adequate array of physical controls, including a mode dial that was missing from the GF3 and GF5. It does not have a hot shoe and thus there is no way to add an EVF or external flash.

Although I love my little GF6, unless you can get a great deal on one, I would suggest spending your money on a GM1 instead. It's a much smaller camera that retains all of the features of its larger cousin. While the GF6 appears to be the last of its line, the GM1 is showing signs of becoming a classic. However, either camera will take great photos for you.

If you're really interested in a GF6, I would suggest waiting a few months, when it is likely that remaining stock will be sold off at deep discounts.